3 kids - what car? - tnb
I currently own a Disco3 diesel (family car), Toyota Supra (station car) and a GSXR-600 (my fun). The Disco is perfect as a family car as I have three kids aged 10-13 and it has seven separate seats. Previously I have had three Ford Galaxy's for the same purpose. When the kids were younger and in car seats it was impossible to fit three car seats across the back row in anything other than an MPV!

Both my wife and I are fed up with poor performance, handling, fuel economy of Disco and don't want to go back to an MPV. The Disco has never been off-road despite being quite rural.

I was thinking of a 530d BMW or similar but we are back in the situation of two rear seats and a hump. I would much rather have RWD but I can see the arguments over who sits in the middle already :-(

Is there a car anywhere that can accommodate three rapidly growing kids in the back, yet still offer decent performance and handling? New or Used

I am seriously considering selling the disco and the supra and buying 2 mini cooper S and accept the fact that when we go anywhere as a family we will take two cars!!!
3 kids - what car? - Alby Back
My brother in law, (who has always been good at negotiation by the way ! ) has a 5 series saloon which is normally used by my sister in law to transport herself and the kids. He also has a Honda "Fireplace" sic. and whenever they go anywhere as a a family, (including european holidays) that is how they travel. Wife and kids in car and BIL on his bike.

Don't know how he gets away with it, but hey, its got to be worth asking !

PS - He also keeps an ancient but serviceable "banger" in the garage for days when the bike is just toooo cold. I don't hate him as such but........... ;-)
3 kids - what car? - tnb
What an excellent solution. Why didn't I think of this ??? Getting into all the gear for short journeys is a bit of hassle but then we could probably cope with the 'middle hump' for short journeys. It also goes some way to justify the annual insurance on the bike if I get to use it a bit more. Plus for longer journeys I wouldn't have to worry about tank bags, rucksacks, etc as wife could bring that in car. I wonder how long it would be before 13 year old son wanted to travel on back of bike with me!

The 3 litre diesel used by BMW and Audi seems to provide a good level of performance with reasonable mpg.

Thanks for the tip!
3 kids - what car? - cheddar
>>Is there a car anywhere that can accommodate three rapidly growing kids in the back, yet still offer decent performance and handling? >>

S-Max 2.5T
3 kids - what car? - Pebble
>>Is there a car anywhere that can accommodate three rapidly growing kids in the back
yet still offer decent performance and handling? >>

Indeed, there is: the Mercury Grand Marquis. Loads of room, 281 cid V8 for power to spare and still reasonable fuel consumption. If I could afford a *new* car, I'd take one of these with no qualms. I formerly owned the Grand Marquis' sister car, the Crown Victoria, and that was one of the best cars I've ever owned. (There's a reason police departments run them and get three, four hundred thousand miles out of 'em...they're solid)
3 kids - what car? - Avant
Try a test drive of a Ford S-Max. Bigger than I need so I haven't tried one, but they are very well reviewed and could be just what you need. There's a 2.0 TDCI and a 2.5 petrol: I think a 2.2 TDCI may be on the way but not sure when.
Great minds think alike Avant!

Very little else fits the bill though.
tnb - On reflection why not buy whatever you want ( so long as it seats five ) and a box of straws ( some of which can be easily shortened ) ! Got to be cheaper and more fun.
3 kids - what car? - tnb
Love this response!

I remember as a kid most cars having a bench seat at the back and we used to squeeze four or five kids in the back (pre-rear seat belt days). It seems a shame that none of the manufacturers have come up with a three seat option a la renault scenic, but for a car not an mpv.

The kids actually love going in the Supra despite the fact that there is literally no leg room behind the drivers seat at all. That said, it is normally only for shortish journeys and they all take turns to sit in the front.

It seems to be a choice between nice car and teenage tantrums or put up with a practical car for another few years and look forward to when they have their own cars and I can get what I want!

Thanks for the tip - gave me a laugh!
3 kids - what car? - tnb
Thanks for the advice on the S-MAX. If I can't persuade the wife about the car + bike option then this may well be the way to go. My Dad is in the ford pension scheme so we get a discount on Fords, but I was trying to steer clear of an MPV type vehicle. I just have to accept that life is full of compromises. You can't expect the practicality of an MPV with the performance of a Porsche. (Porsche Cayenne S? Probably out of my price bracket)
3 kids - what car? - Altea Ego
The beauty of the s-max is that its not MPV like. Ok its big MPV size but it looks funky, and drives funky.
------
And I dream Im on vacation - cos I like the way that sounds -
3 kids - what car? - bazza
Or the new Mondeo? Big enough surely and haven't read a bad word about it yet. Starting to see a few around here now and it sure is big!
3 kids - what car? - tnb
Thanks for the tip. I think a trip to the Ford dealers is in order and may be a test drive in both the S-MAX and the new Mondeo. The Mondeo Estate is supposed to be very good and BIG. As I mentioned elsewhere I qualify for a discount on Fords so I might see if they can persuade me back after my adventure with the LR. I did get a discount on the LR (owned by Ford) but not as much as a Ford and I would presume that this will not continue once the sale to Tata/Mahnidra goes through.

Thanks again.
3 kids - what car? - Bromptonaut
Neither cut the mustard for performance but the Picasso or Berlingo/Partner have three full seats in the rear and a flat floor.
3 kids - what car? - Altea Ego
Toddle down to your seat dealer and give the Altea XL a look see.
------
And I dream Im on vacation - cos I like the way that sounds -
3 kids - what car? - tnb
It's the heart versus head question again. The head says that the Picasso would be great, but the heart doesn't want to know. For some reason I am not a big fan of French cars. I think that they are functional, practical, and comfortable, but I am really looking for something with a bit more oomph!

Thanks for the help though.
3 kids - what car? - tnb
As an aside, what would you choose between a brand new S-Max or Mondeo and a second-hand BMW X5 3L diesel? I know that these have three passable seats in the back and are supposed to be a much better drive than other 4x4's. I couldn't afford one brand new, but a second hand one for about 20K would be possible.
X5 v S-max v Mondeo ?

I think you are now down,mainly, to personal taste and choice.

However, what I can tell you is that I used to spend a lot of money on cars, but due to starting a new business venture 4 years ago I had to "cut my cloth" accordingly. I bought a second hand but well specced Mondeo estate. I still have it. Things have gone really quite well with the business and I suppose I could trade up again to something which is allegedly more desirable if I wanted to.

But, you know what ? I would take a lot of persuading to do that now as I have been so pleased with the Mondy. In fact I would be quite reluctant to sell it and will probably keep it for as long as possible.

X5's are nice though, a friend has one and loves it. Like I said, I think it's now a case of what you fancy really.
3 kids - what car? - tnb
Thanks shoespy. I've generally shied away from BMW/Mercedes/Audi because of the 'look at me - I've made it' image. However, a friend has just bought a new Audi A5 3.0 diesel. It has better 0-60 than my Supra yet still returns 45mpg average!

I see your point about the Mondeo. I have had a few Orion's over the years as station cars and they have been superb. If I could pick up a good condition 89/90/91 1.6i Ghia I would buy it, leaving me with a bit more budget for the family car. Problem is they have all disappeared :-(

I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy an X5. I think it has a real image problem. You see so many of them with an X5 number plate and just think 'TO55ER'

3 kids - what car? - Marc
The X5 and Mondeo both have rear bench seats ie 2 + 1 so given your original criteria they would both be a compromise. The S Max has three rear individual "proper" seats as such, if I were you I'd be looking at the 2.5T Titanium version of that
3 kids - what car? - movilogo
7 seat Hyunai Santa Fe?
3 kids - what car? - Lud
Surely some sort of second-hand Black Maria must be available? Some of the better ones have several cells in the back, should provide a couple of spares for more children or unruly dogs. But even the most basic are sure to have a strong wire-mesh barrier between the creatures or animated entities in the back and the human beings in the front.

Don't waste your money on a car. They'll just trash it and fill it with food fragments, empty or worse still not quite empty plastic bottles and sticky substances.

:o}
Good idea m'Lud, could even get the m/bike in the back, probably fails on the performance and handling criteria though.
3 kids - what car? - bazza
If you qualify for a discount at Fords, sounds like a no brainer to me! I haven't driven the very latest Mondeo but all the versions I've ever had on loan have been superb, comfortable drivers cars. I would set a budget and pop down the local dealer. If you don't, you'll be talked up and up!
3 kids - what car? - davmal
Thought of the Mazda 5 Sport, petrol or diesel?
3 kids - what car? - a900ss
I can certainly recommend the S-Max, I have one!!!

Although mine is diesel, the 2.5t is very tunable if it isn;t quick enough for you already. Some chap on the smax owners club is getting his tuned to over 350hp (I think) by putting on a bigger turbo and intercooler. However 270hp is attainable just with a chip (again, these are 'I think' as it what others have claimed).

I'd also say that the S-Max does get comments about how good it looks (mine is black on 18 inch alloys), something I don't expect many MPV's receive.

Edited by a900ss (S-Max) on 29/12/2007 at 10:14