2003 1.6 dualfuel - Poor running at speed. - Tron
Manufacturer: Vauxhall.
Model: Astra.
Type: Estate.
Fuel: Dual fuel - LPG/Petrol.
Trim: Elegance.
Engine: 1600cc.
Mileage: 52k.

Petrol or LPG at a flat 60 to 70 the engine is juddering - as if fuel is getting cut off and released. This is not just after filling with LPG either as the dealership in question have told me this is the cause as the gas is too cold?!

If it is the cause - why is it also doing it on petrol?

Best description is it feels not unlike that of mild turbulence on a plane? You can drive through this but sitting at 80mph all day on motorways will see me eventually pulling a car with blue and red lights lights....

Just been Vauxhall (40k) major serviced and it was doing this before the service.

I am now seriously (oh you just don't know how much) regretting buying this car.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 25/12/2007 at 23:45

2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Screwloose

Is this juddering like a low-frequency vibration; or more of an on/off hesitation.

Haven't got much data on the LPG set-up; but if it the does the same on petrol, then I'd be thinking that maybe the oxygen sensor is leaning-off the mixture too much.

Is there any chance that there's a hairline crack in, or leaking gasket on, the exhaust manifold? A MAF or EGR fault could be a possibility too; but I'd have expected a fuel trim code.
2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Tron
Really bad running, problems maintaining constant power, now (as of this evening)judders at any speed, does not pick up smoothly when you accelerate (1/2 second or so pause) and then as if you have stabbed the accelerator and just launches itself (LPG or Petrol) and fuel consumption is an awful circa 20mpg (lpg or petrol and as per trip).

It is positively an on off hesitation now - like someone is operating a kill switch really quickly.

What is MAF and EGR please?

Car is booked in to Vauxhall dealership to have new brake discs & pads fitted tomorrow 27/12 (dealership I purchased car from are paying for this as they should have done it before I bought the damned vehicle) so whilst it is in there I will ask 'real' mechanics to look at the fault - they can pay for that too.

Edited by Tron on 26/12/2007 at 22:14

2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Ruperts Trooper
MAF is Mass AirFlow Meter, EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve - I don't think your car has either.
2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Number_Cruncher
It probably does have EGR.

It won't have a MAF, as engine load is sensed via a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure).

Number_Cruncher

We really need the engine code to be sure of what's fitted. There's a choice of four in '03; from Y16XE to X16XEP - all with different equipment.

A faulty MAP sensor could cause that sort of effect - as could a broken swirl flap control.
I have no idea what engine is in the vehicle. Looked on V5 and the documentation I have - just have engine & chassis numbers. ***for obvious security I will not be putting those up on the internet though*** Whilst it is in the dealership (having the brakes done) I will ask them to confirm the engine type.

Many thanks for your help.

I will be speaking with the dealership I procured the vehicle from today regarding the faults listed and with the info you have all given me - I now have a better understanding of issues and repairs etc., that may need looking at.

Hopefully whilst it is in a flagship Vauxhall dealership - I will be able to get all works carried out at the dealerships expense I obtained the vehicle from - they are paying to have the brakes done after all :)

Most beneficial site this one - many thanks to all that have again helped.

2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Ruperts Trooper
A 2003 Vauxhall 1.6 will be Z16XE, which is why I suggested it had no MAF or EGR - it uses a MAP sensor instead of MAF, I understood that Vauxhall dropped EGRs in 2000 with introduction of Znnxx engines for Euro4.
Vauxhall dropped EGRs in 2000 with introduction of Znnxx engines for Euro4.

If only; the Z16?? has an EGR in '03 and, although I've never seen one, AD list a MAF on the Z16XEP.....? [Ignore my typo in the previous post - should've been Z16XEP.]

Anyone know the code of the dual-fuel version?

Spot on advice!!!

NER EGR replaced as it was only 58% operative (what ever that means!)

Thanks to all for your help!

Hope I can return the compliment one day.
2003 1.6 - Poor running at speed. - Pugugly {P}
You can Tron - recommend the site to your friends !
You can Tron - recommend the site to your friends !

I have been and will continue to do so. All in my address books have been given the link.

This was how I found you - word of mouth from others - not sure if Geordie Lass (as I know her) or Grouse (as I know him) post on here?