Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - richard price
On both the east and west bound A27 at Havant three yellow roadside structures have appeared about a quarter of a mile apart from each other now fitted with two cameras pointed at both lanes currently covered up, any idea what the purpose is???
Richard Price
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Pugugly {P}
Catching Mimsers and Craphounds of course - probably not though.
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Chris M
Havant a clue

Sorry!
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Peter D
Specs Cameras. Average speed camera's out to get you, are they like ? www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm
Regards Peter
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - richard price
Peter,

Yes they look the same even the style of the gantry. Thank you.

Regards

Richard
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - mscott
What's the latest opinion about changing lanes between cameras (eg from inside lane to outside lane). Is the inside lane camera of the first set linked to the outside lane camera of the second?
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Altea Ego
Well urban legend still says that swopping lanes between specs cameras will defeat them, I have seen no proof tho.
------
< Ulla>
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Peter D
I would not chance it. If you know they are there then slow down to the limit. The kit can match the Reg from any lane but the Type Approval from the home office only details a single lane so if you knew which camera actually caught you going into the zone and leaving the zone then 'If' you where NIP'ed you could declare it void due to the type approval. Very thin ice in my book. Regards Peter
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - rtj70
Peter D is right. The technology could track average speed between any cameras but they never paid for that type approval. So only works between camera pairs. In theory you might get away as Peter D says.... but who's going to take that gamble?

And newer digital average speed cameras (not SPECs) have been type approved for all lanes.... so. Not worth the risk imho.
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - jc2
Early ones couldn't cope with lane changes but THEY soon cured that.
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - bostin
a quick google throws up:

www.highways.gov.uk/news/newsroom.aspx?pressreleas...0

looks as if they are only there for the early part of next year in association with roadworks (40 mph). Hopefully not too many delays.... ;-)

The roundabouts further east on the A27 are where I have some bad memories - tried to out handle a mini round a roundabout in the wet in my Mk2 Golf GTI..... ended up on the grass verge (5m from the road) having narrowly missed a couple of street lamps and with broken suspension ;-(
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Peter D's link is spot on. The gantry is a very obvious 'L' shape and note the stylised logo in the right angle of the gantry. Once the distictive cameras are installed they are realy really obvious. I gues they are not in use - yet!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/12/2007 at 18:38

Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - stuartl
Two yellow cameras on a yellow gantry?

Are there two further up the road too?

If so they are 'average speed' cameras, same as they have on the M4 at Reading in the roadworks
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Martin Devon
What they are for is for relieving you of your 'ard earned!!

With respects to Arfur Daley.

VBR.........MD
If anyone uses the speed camera database off www.pocketgpsworld.com then submit these new (inactive) camera locations now. Once verified you will be the first and will get free camera updates for life.
Havant - Cameras have appeared what are they for?? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I hope this pocket GPS data base is a lot better than TomTom's. Within 15 miles of my home I have found facilities misplotted on the map, warnings of fixed speed cameras where there hasn't been one in 8 years. Missing petrol stations, petrol station shown on the wrong side of a dual carrriageway, roads that opened 18 months ago not shown at all. Makes me wonder what use it will be in Southern Italy next year!
I am refering to a database of speed camera locations. It's as up to date as we make it because it relies on contributors to keep it up to date. With latest TomTom version points of interest can be edited. It needs newest maps too I think. And errors can be shared.

This is of topic though ... I was saying how to get free updates for life.