Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - john farrar
Before the advent of ABS , I used to change the brake fluid when I remembered. this was triggered because I'd once experienced brake fade due, I found out later, to the fluid boiling.
As many of you will know, this was because over time, brake fluid absorbs water ,lowering its boiling point thus under heavy braking the fluid can boil and Hey Presto no brakes.
Usually this meant I changed the brake fluid change every 4- 5years. There are now meters which teast the fluid for moisture so that you can be a bit more scientific.
However, since ABS was introduced the frequency of change has become 2 Years. I have been told that this is to prevent damage to the ABS pump which can cost £2,000 to change. I have subsequently had my brake fluid changed every two years. I have also talked to my mechanic friend who says, even with ABS , to only change the fluid if it has absorbed too much water.This means, in his experience every 4-5 years.
My questions rare: "what damages the pump , water or general debris and how many of you have had a pump fail,?" as few people I know , apart from me(!) , seem to change their brake fluid every two years . Even most of the service books I've looked at ,indicate it's been miissed .Is a 2 years changeover the top?
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - mss1tw
One thing I was told when changing pads was something along the lines of "Don't wind the pistons back in too far or you'll push the possibly cruddier brake fluid from the business end back up into the ABS system/pump."

I think the idea was to 'bleed' the calipers first and top up with fresh fluid, then wind them back in. It was quite a long time ago though.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - martint123
One thing I was told when changing pads was something along the lines of "Don't wind the pistons back in too far or you'll push the possibly cruddier brake fluid from the business end back up into the ABS system/pump."

I don't have ABS, but when looking at the manual which covers all models, it said about winding the pistons back by opening the bleed screws to lose the surplus fluid rather than forcing it back through the ABS system. Makes a bit of sense I suppose, also removes need to keep looking to make sure the reservoir isn't overflowing.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - moonshine {P}

Changing brake fluid is quick and cheap to do. Given the importance of your braking system (as you have already found out) I would err on the side of caution and change every two years regardless.

I've never had any problems with brakes on my cars, that could be due to the fact that I change the fluid every two years on my cars. Of course, I am unable to prove if it is the change of fluid that has prevented any problems.

When I change the fluid I also bleed the brakes to flush out the pipes and calipers, it takes a bit longer but I like to make sure its a complete change of fluid. I'm sure that many garages will just suck out and replace the fluid in the resovoir.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - Number_Cruncher
The easiest way to do it is to gravity bleed the brakes, leaving the reservoir to almost empty itself of old fluid before you top up with fresh new fluid. By the time you've done this a few times, the system is completely flushed. I tend to do the rear brakes first, but that's just my routine.

I've never seen anyone just change the reservoir fluid, and I would hope it doesn't happen - the fluid in the calipers/cylinders is usually much filthier and nastier than that in the reservoir, and it is the fluid in the cylinders/calipers that really matters, because that's where you need the high temperature performance - the fluid in the reservoir is just that; reserve fluid.

Number_Cruncher
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - moonshine {P}

I also do the rears first and I forgot to say in the earlier post that I change the fluid every two years regardless of ABS.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - MW
Just done mine after about 20 months. As in the past the fluid is a different colour; a little darker. Not very dark, but definately not as new. I always use an Eazibleed sytem with great results. I push just air through first at 18 lbs and almost all the old fluid comes out. Then the usual bleed. Takes about 1 hour. Given the £5 worth of fluid, well worth it. Imagine the fear (of money) when the ABS light will not go out.
>>Takes about 1 hour

The Vauxhall labour time allowance (when I was in the workshop some 15 years ago!) for this job was 18 minutes!

Number_Cruncher
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - gordonbennet
The Vauxhall labour time allowance (when I was in the workshop some 15 years ago!)
for this job was 18 minutes!

Bet they charged the customer at least an hour for the privelidge though.

I do mine about every 3 years, with eazibleed as well, very usefull.

Couldn't find a cap to fit Son's subaru in the kit though so he did it the old way.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - John S
Just reminded me I missed the brake fluid change when my Astra was in for service. Vx don't necessarily rip you off. Last brake fluid change at my local Vx main dealer cost £27-50 all in. Can't be bothered to do it myself at that price.

JS
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - gordonbennet
Thats very good value John and more power to Vaux's elbow, don't blame you letting them do it.

Reckon there could be a very usefull thread along the lines of service costs, bet there'd be some eye openers.
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - Dynamic Dave
Last brake fluid change at my local Vx main dealer cost £27-50 all in.

Yep, my local VX dealer charges approx the same as that.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2007 at 13:53

>>Bet they charged the customer at least an hour for the privelidge though.

No, it did get charged out at 0.3 - but, if you used your initiative, you could do it in half the time, and claim the rest as bonus.

Number_Cruncher
Brake Fluid Change ABS vs Non-ABS - Clanger
I always use an Eazibleed sytem with great results. I push just air through first ...

Aren't there some systems that don't like being completely emptied of fluid? Or am I dreaming?

I don't change the fluid, just bleed a metric jam-jar full out of each wheel every year using the Eezibleed.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
>>ren't there some systems that don't like being completely emptied of fluid?

There are many that are a real PITA to bleed once air has got in - I always make sure the reservoir never completely empties - flushing the old fluid out with the new - thus ensuring that air never gets in.

I once did try to empty a system before refilling it, on a G reg Carlton. Needless to say, that one took me rather longer than the 0.3 hours allowed.

Number_Cruncher