Golf MK 3 Rust under door seal - lion147
I have a P registered Golf and recently I've noticed a small patch of rust under drivers door seal, as it's not in an exposed position (i.e. not likely to be stone chipped) should I be able to claim on the 11yr non-perforation warranty? I wouldn't have thought this was normal for a 5 year old car.

Rgds,
Tom
Golf MK 3 Rust under door seal - John S
Tom

You can try, but I don't faancy your chances, unless someone can tell you differently. It's a 'no perforation' warranty, and if there's not a hole it's not perforated.

These generally cover 'invisible' rust from the inside, as opposed to a 'paintwork' warranty, which are rarely as long. Don't leave this 'till it's a hole, or they'll get you on the clause that says you have to take reasonable care, and that means repairing visible damage or corrosion, and reporting claims promptly.

Regards

John S
Golf MK 3 Rust under door seal - Ian Cook
Don't leave this 'till it's a hole, or they'll get you on the
clause that says you have to take reasonable care, and that
means repairing visible damage or corrosion, and reporting claims promptly.
Regards
John S

Tom

You may also find that the warranty is conditional on having a full paintwork inspection carried every two years. There should be a page to be stamped in the service book. If it hasn't been done, then I think you can forget it.

Ian Cook
Ah well, I thought by no perforation they mean that as long as the rust hasn't developed because of stone chipping, scratching etc then it was covered, obviously not,

Thanks & Rgds,
Tom
Golf MK 3 Rust under door seal - Mark (RLBS)
>>Ah well, I thought by no perforation they mean that as long as the rust hasn't developed because of stone chipping, scratching etc then it was covered, obviously not,

Uh, so did I.

Isn`t the point that if it has resulted without being caused by a hole, then it is a mfg fault ?

i.e. rust under the paint ?

Slightly ambiguous isn't it.

Their argument was because I haven't had the car from new someone could have had a new door seal put on and therefore I couldn't prove the paint work wasn't damaged before hand. My argument was of course they couldn't prove the door seal had been replaced.

Rgds,
Tom