yr2000 2.0 petrol - Everything went off - GroovyMucker
Trundling along at between 60 and 70 yesterday on a fairly busy M6, when everything went off. Speedo and tacho down to zero, no warning lights (but the hazards and headlights not affected) - it was as if the ignition had been turned off.

There didn't seem to be a total loss of power, though, it was more as if the car was doing a controlled shut-down and I managed, without too much difficulty, to manoeuvre onto the hard shoulder.

It has happened once before, at a roundabout, and on that occasion I wondered if I'd jogged the ignition key because it was accompanied by the crrrrrkkkk sound I've heard when turning the ignition when the car's already idling.

Any ideas as to what's caused this?

{year and engine size found with a forum search. Hopefully correct?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2007 at 12:41

yr2000 2.0 petrol - Everything went off - Norman77
Until a year ago i owned a 1999 T Honda Accord 2.0. From memory there is a recall or a TSB relating to the ignition barrel. On cars of your era the barrel can collapse through wear and can cause the symptoms you described. I was going to get mine done for peace of mind but the dealer assured me that my car was unaffected. You could look at www.thaoc.co.uk (Honda Accord owners club site) to see if you can find out anything new.

Edited by Norman77 on 24/12/2007 at 13:06