1997 TD - starting problems - pug306td
My car has been running fine for over a year, however over the last couple of weeks when i turn the ignition on the glow plug light did not come on, all the other lighs on the dash were on. tried to turn the engine over but nothing. Swithed the ignition off and back on, glow plug light came on and engine started fine. for the rest of the day with stopping and starting it was fine (glow plug light came on everytime) I left the car for a couple of hours and had the same problem again (rectified in the same way) When the car has been left for a couple of hours the glow plug light does not come on and sometimes i can turn the engine over sometimes nothing, however, touch wood, fingers crossed etc, it seems to sort itself out. Any ideas? could it be the starter motor, glow plugs (only 6 months old), ignition or a relay? it has been very cold the last couple of weeks if that would make any difference.

Thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 19/12/2007 at 22:43

1997 TD - starting problems - Peter.N.
Sounds suspiciously as though you have a dodgy ingition switch. To prove it, connect a voltmeter between your glowplug terminals and earth and turn the ignition on. It should read something less than 12 volts, if you have nothing then and then after giving the switch a workout you suddenly have 12v and it starts, that will be your most likely problem.

Peter.N.
1997 TD - starting problems - pug306td
Thanks for this, today i have had more problems, randomly when driving the end cuts out. The car won't bump start again (i don't know if this works with diesels) but swith the ignition off and straight back on to the starter motor and away it goes. It does sound to me to an ignition switch problem or does anyone think its more serious?

Thanks
1997 TD - starting problems - Peter.N.
Still sounds like the switch, or connections to it.

Peter.N.