04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - mondeo1306
When I hit the throttle hard, at the point when the turbo kicks in and she takes off (and she does) the smoke behind would do a battleship justice, im getting 45+ mpg, but i cant accept this smoke, whats the likeliest problem? or is a diagnostic the only way? i assume you cant turn the pump up/down like my old monetgo!

cheers

car is 04 reg with under 80K on the clock, a FSH and last serviced by Ford 400 miles ago, ex-Lex car so id assume serviced to death.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 16/12/2007 at 17:49

04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - drivewell
Does the smoke clear after the first few seconds of hard acceleration? If so, you're simply blowing soot out of the exhaust system. Most diesels will do this.

Are you using a fuel additive? I use Millers Powerplus Sport (for Euro IV), and although the engine is smoother, quieter (and mpg marginally better), it produces more smoke than when simply running on Asda diesel without any extra additives.

You say you assume it was serviced to death - strange that an ex lease car didn't come with a full printout?.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - rtj70
Iif ex-lease then serviced to keep costs low. My Mondeo went back rusting because the lease company did not pay for body checks thus invalidating the warranty. Bottom of rear doors on mine rusting badly but others also have problems on the front doors, bonnet and tailgate.

It took a few months for them to accept that there was no longer a Ford warranty without the body work stamps in the service book. And they run a fleet of a size that could give one to everyone in Wales, like hundreds of thousands.... but that's why saving £10 per car per year is worth a risk.

If your car is driving fine apart from smoke when accelerating hard then mine did that if I had done a lot of town driving for a while. Some good acceleration should remedy it. Soot does build up in the exhaust and needs to be blown out.

Someone like Cheddar or Screwloose no doubt will come along and tell you more.
it is generally a short trip car, but i did a 350 mile run in it 2 weeks ago and even at the end it was kicking black smoke out if going from 60 to 80 on the motorway eveb maybe before the turbo kicked in bigtime
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - cheddar
Run it on BP Ultimate or similar (BP and Shell the best), should not cost any more because it will use less, when next on the m/way leave it in 5th for 10 to 15 miles so it spends that time at at around 2750 to 3000, should clear it out.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - Red Baron
I have the 03 130 5-speed version. Even if I have been travelling at 95mph+ (German Autobahn) for 2 hours and I subsequently accelerate away from a service station I get a cloud of grey/black smoke out of the exhaust.
would there be a problem adding an injector cleaner like STP to my fuel? I run a merc sprinter and have had transits, citroens and ldv's covering 60000 miles a year and used cleaner

i shall fill up with shell v derv next time

anyone run a tdci on proper bio-derv (not reclaimed chip oil)
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - Screwloose

Getting any codes and the live-data examined would be a good first step. It's possible that there's a coolant temp or EGR fault lurking there.
DONT use any cleaners, Millers additives OK though not needed with premium diesel.

Best not to use BIO diesel IMO.

DONT USE VEG OIL!!

Edited by cheddar on 16/12/2007 at 22:07

Getting any codes and the live-data examined would be a good first step. It's possible
that there's a coolant temp or EGR fault lurking there.

i take it only ford can do this?

i fancied having it remapped on a rolling road though....
since default map tends toward underfueling, a re-map can go the other way - result? more black smoke.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - RichardW
There's a known issue with the EGR valves on the Ford TDCis of this era that causes them to smoke like good uns
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
"There's a known issue with the EGR valves on the Ford TDCis of this era
that causes them to smoke like good uns
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen...."

would it be best to change the EGR valve (is it dear?) or best to get Ford to do a diagnostic first?
Get Ford to do a diagnostic first, definately!
This car I know for sure stood idle on a forecourt several months prior to me buying it (the price went down from £5400 to £4400), i wonder if the period of inactivity has left a problem?

i have the MOT smoke test

1 1.60
2 2.34
3 1.44
4 2.22
5 1.96
6 0.14

that was in july and only 1000 miles ago
compare the mondeo figures with those for a mercedes sprinter van

van has done 180,000 miles, is a 311cdi 2.2

(mondeo in brackets)

1 1.58 (1.60)
2 0.85 (2.34)
3 0.79 (1.44)
4 0.63 (2.22)

or could i have my ecu reset/flashed with newest BIOS?

Edited by mondeo1306 on 27/12/2007 at 19:18

Nearly always a good idea to have the latest-level software in this sort of case.

let me guess....

Ford?

Nowhere else would have the latest program. Not a long job though.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - hm
Please excuse my possible stupid comment...........and before wiser members shoot me down this is just a suggestion / question.

On this car can you 'disconnect' the EGR valve and not upset the running of the unit? it is not uncommon for these units to get blocked open because they are full of soot etc.......

My first port of call would be too remove the EGR and give her a good clean out......replace and retry.....

It is VERY common on 4x4 motors to disconnect it all together ! (yes I know this is not a 4x4 ;0)

Thanks

H

Edited by hm on 27/12/2007 at 20:17

i seem to recall theres a EGR valve on the old "banana" 2.5di smiley transits (i had two) and said EGR valve is in the intake manifold/piping somewhere

a DIY job to whip off and check/blow through on the tdci too?...

how closely related are the various duratorq engines?

transits are 2.4, mines a 2.0, jag and new mondeo have 2.2 and focus's have a smaller version but are the exteriors of the blocks and bolt holes the same (same blocks?)

thought about swapping a 2.4 transit 135ps into a focus, chipping/remapping, a whiff of NOS and go racing.......200+ps at least, maybe 300......
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - rtj70
The previous model Mondeo, X-Type and Transit engines are related. The Focus uses the Ford/PSA diesel engine and is different and unrelated. In this instance TDCi is a brand.

"PSA"...........not as in "fiat/citroen/peugot" psa?........tell me not!

The very same... the good old HDi.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - Monsieur Kev
These pop ups are very annoying on this website.

If I put the BlueFin in on my 2.2 TDCi, it is more rattlely on start up and warm up compared with the standard programme. Also much more smoke under hard acceleration.

Have taken it out for the moment and am running back on the original programme.

By the way, BlueFin a waste of money. Now on my second engine, turbo etc in 38,000 kms. Extra perfomance not worth the money.
ive got enough performance, just too much smoke with it!

id settle for less for a clean burn, which should be possible surely

i do find the 6 speed shift a tad notchy though

as for the PSA "wonderful" Hdi engines, i had one from new, factory fresh vehicle....

id rather have teeth extracted with no gas thanks.....

cant find shell V derv locally, local shell hasnt had any for over a week, must be good stuff!
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - Bar Shaker
I had this. My local village mechanic spotted the problem straight away. It was a small split in the rubber pipe that goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

The MAF was seeing loads of air going in but it was all being lost before it got into the cylinders. By fuelling to match the volume of air measured, the car produced clouds of black smoke.

Total cost was just over 50 quid incl vat.

I shudder to think what the bill would have been at a main dealer although my mechanic said they had a lot of pipes in stock, so it may be a common problem.

Because it was juddering/hunting on a steady throttle too, I had thought it was a pump/injector failure. Fortunately not.
Useful info, thanks!
worth a gander, thanks

did 685 miles in 2 days total fuel used - 57.23lts = 54.5mpg

9p per mile

can 60mpg be possible if its not running smoky i wonder....
btw

where will i find this egr valve on my mondy?

ta
Now then, work this out...

i took my mondeo down a quiet industrial estate road, and there i revved the engine slowly upto 5000 rpm

result = no smoke

then i whacked it upto 5000 rpm

result smoke

(above both whilst parked up)

then i drove it (ragged it) thru the gears for a few miles and i swear the smoke has subsided, not vanished 100%, but deffo less.

any explanations?....

Edited by mondeo1306 on 23/03/2008 at 23:10

Black smoke on acceleration is , I think, a combination of incomplete combustion and also blowing out soot that has been deposited in the exhaust system. With soot blown out, subsequent smoking will be less (until it builds up again)
so its possible that pussy footing it too much will cause more harm than good?

it was owned by a woman driver for 6 months before i bought it, up the peaks so i doubt it was pushed very hard/fast in that time

ah well, ill sell it.........

04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - jc2
I thought this calibration overfuels/overboosts for a few seconds on hard acceleration.
04 Tdci 130 6 speed black smoking - Dynamic Dave
so its possible that pussy footing it too much will cause more harm than good?

HJ's FAQ (below) is about running in a diesel, but latter part of it then goes on to explain how and why you should blow the cobwebs out at regular intervals.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32

"make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil."

Are/is the injection/ECU "intuitive"? thats to say, does it adjust to easy living/soft driving and a sudden burst by a throttle jockey confuses it?

it averaged 55mpg over a 650 mile/2 day run, but not at 5000 rpm!

oh well, its still cleaner than my old montego Di.......lol
Got to sell it anyway, if im to go into taxiing, cant have such an old car on the rank (04 reg/80k miles)

Deffo running clean (probably not green though) after i adopted a more aggresive driving style

i may run it thru a free emissions check and report back, previous test (before i bought it) wasnt great.

compare the mondeo figures with those for a mercedes sprinter van

van has done 180,000 miles, is a 311cdi 2.2

(mondeo in brackets)

1 1.58 (1.60)
2 0.85 (2.34)
3 0.79 (1.44)
4 0.63 (2.22)
hi guys, not been about much, slumming it on the modeo forum, update on my 130...

EGR cleaned out, split rubber pipe taped up with duct tape (new one in boot ready)

ive removed the small vacuum pipe to the EGR as with it on the car still made some black smoke, whereas without it it makes VERY litte other than at warp 8 (i plugged the vacuum pipe)

gettin 45+ mpg (not great) with an estimate 650 miles on a tankful possible

speak soon

Edited by mondeo1306 on 30/06/2008 at 19:57