Vectra tickover - Marius Bigus
Has anyone experienced problems with erratic tickover on a Vectra 1.8 16v? Mine has started to idle between 1200 and 2000 rpm with increasing frequency but not all the time. The engine management system does not report any faults so my Vauxhall dealer is unable to diagnose and repair. Any ideas?
Re: Vectra tickover - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Common problem on Vectra. Start by cleaning out the throttle area with a proprietary carb. cleaner and an old toothbrush. Then remove and thoroughly clean the idle speed controller. Check that the two breather hoses from the top of the cam cover, 1 large diameter, 1 small, are in good condition and check that the smaller hose has vacuum on it when the engine is running. If not clear out the orifice in the throttle body. Check also that a modified breather "box" is fitted to the large hose on the FRONT of the cam cover. If you are still having a problem please come back to us
Good luck
Andrew
Re: Vectra tickover - John Slaughter
Andrew

Beat me to it! Marius, you don't say how many miles the car's done, but Vectra idle speed control valve replacement after 60/70k or so is common if cleaning doesn't work. Cost is about £150 with fitting, but it solves the problem.

Regards

john
Re: Vectra tickover - Marius Bigus
When I raised this issue I had forgotten that the inlet air control valve had already been replaced about 12000 miles before. The problem has been cured by the simple measure of re-programming the ECU. Now the car runs better than ever. If there was a problem here how come it wasn't picked up last week when the dealer ran the diagnostic check?
Re: Vectra tickover (supplement) - John Slaughter
marius

I'm amazed your Vauxhall dealer is stumped - it's a common fault and my local dealer diagnosed it immediately! Find a new dealer.

John
Re: Vectra tickover - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd0
Hi Chaps !

If the cleaning procedure doesn't work out, and you have to buy a new idle speed control valve, there is a modified one (which should be what you get automatically, but you never know!) which is the same part number as the original (90411546) but with an 'X' suffix. Last time I bought one it was £113 + VAT retail.

Regards, Adam
Re: Vectra tickover - Marius Bigus
Thank you all for your advice. I was able to persuade the dealer that the inlet air control was susupect and should be replaced under the extended warranty. This is booked for Tuesday. We shall see!