How much has the fuel increase cost you? - barney100
I calculate that roughly 10p a litre has gone on fuel this last few weeks around here. I get through about 40 litres a week so thats £4.00. extra. A month thats £16.00, so a year thats almost £200.00. With two cars running at about the same mileage thats £400. If you are loaded its nothing but what does it do to a family on an average income bringing up youngsters? Brings to mind straws and camel's backs.................
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - stunorthants26
I use about the same as you and its cost me much the same. Its getting to the point where Im increasing my valet prices for the first time in 3 years. Dont like doing it, but its eating my profit along woth everything else going up in price too.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Ruperts Trooper
10p/litre in a few weeks?

10th November I paid 94.9/litre for Asda 95, on 11th December it was 97.9.

I'm not loaded, just a fixed-rate pension to live on.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 13/12/2007 at 21:36

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - stunorthants26
Diesel is up to 106.9 in Northampton and I have paid 98.9 since I bought the car a month ago also in town.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Ruperts Trooper
Regardless of fuel price fluctations, the differential between diesel and unleaded increases during winter and decreases again in summer - diesel is also used for heating fuel for which demand rockets but refinery capacity can't be increased.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - AlastairW
The increase has cost me very little. I just walk to work more often.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - MichaelR
Since moving from 93.9 to 101.9 over the last 4 months, my increased fuel costs amount to an additional £7 per month.

I didnt think it was much but thats like... an entire takeaway pizza.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Bromptonaut
Those on average incomes (with or without families) have spent the last ten years seeing cost reductions on things they want, largely driven by moving production of consumer goods to China. This has concealed ongiong increases in the cost of things they need - food, fuel etc and fuelled a "never had it so good" boom.

That bonus and the credit boom that has sent it on it's way are now spent. Commodity prices are on the up and real inflation accompanied by negative growth, a scenario from the seventies, are on the way back.

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Blue {P}
I don't care, my V6 has just been restored to it's former glory and it's an absolute beauty to drive, it stirs the soul in a way that I never thought a humble Mondog could. I enjoy every drive in it and I'm genuinely disappointed when I reach my destination, in almost the same way that I was when I had my BMW.

Isn't that worth the little extra? :-)

My goodness , I must be drunk, it's the first time in ages that I haven't taken advantage of the opportunity to complain aboust spending over £200 per month on petrol alone!

Blue

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/12/2007 at 12:48

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - SuperBuyer
Trying to work this out, I reckon the increase is about £30-£40 a month dependent on business miles. Thats based on a 10% increase in prices, and a monthly spend (obviously) of £300 to £400.

It means the money I receive from my employers for my home to work mileage only just covers the cost after tax.

Still, at least the car I've got manages an average of 50mpg!

I'm so looking forward (not) to filling up the Shogun (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=58...7 ) when I get it next week (hopefully) and then getting 25mpg if I'm lucky!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/12/2007 at 12:37

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - DP
I'm averaging about 2,000 miles a month at the moment at 45 mpg so I'm getting through about 200 litres a month.

So, the increase has cost me about £20 a month. It annoys me, but frankly it's a drop in the ocean compared to the general cost of living increases in the UK over the past 12 months. :-(

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Martin1981
It cost me a very depressing £62 to brim the 60 litre tank in the 306TD last weekend at £1.06p per litre (58.5 litres). Thankfully I get around 520-550 miles to the tank on average that's all I can say. When I first bought this car nearly 5 years ago, I could fill it up for £40-42. Those were the days!

I do approximately 23k per annum, half of it business mileage, so this price increase will make me approx £20-25 per month worse off.

Completely skint now til payday next Friday. Thankfully I've bought my Christmas presents!

Happy Christmas to you all!

Martin

Edited by Webmaster on 17/12/2007 at 20:01

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - storme
just ride to work more often...but as i only use 1 tank full a month, ireally have not noticed an increase..
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - stuartl
I might have gained by the rise in fuel duty! The family car that does very little miles will have little impact on the budget.

On the other hand, as I always fill my van at Tescos, currently around £1000 a month, I cant wait for the clubcard vouchers to come in!!!!
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - hxj

I'm doing about 2500 miles a month at an average of 30 mpg.

Cost me a fortune when petrol was 75p litre .....
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - David Horn
108p/l at the Sainsburys in Oxford.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - yorkiebar
10% increase in fuel costs in this area over very recent time.

Hasn't cost me a fortune in extra petrol (directly) but I know its hit a lot of my customers very hard. Fuel for them is often a case of a planned expense and not a choice of spending with their disposable income. Quite a lot tell me they no longer have ANY disposable income!

But what about the indirect costs? 10% increase on hauliers hits everything in the shops sooner or later. Not by 10% but it has an effect!

Hence the call by some (of which i agree whole heartedly) for a review of the taxation on fuel.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Snakey
My weekly fuel bill has gone from £33ish to £45. Petrol car that averages 35mpg.

£45? That about £36 tax then.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Alby Back
Back of a "fag packet" version.

If your car does about 40 mpg it is costing you approx 1p per mile more now.

So in very round terms take your annual mileage and multiply by 1p to find the rough cost increase per year.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Dynamic Dave
108p/l at the Sainsburys in Oxford.

100.9 p/l unleaded at the Sainsbury's, Stratton St Margaret, Swindon last night. Well it would have been, had they had any left! Cashier reckoned people had been panic buying.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Pugugly {P}
Saw a Garage of uncertain supermarket parentage today (I think it was in Rhyl N Wales) @ .99p
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - teabelly
99p/l here in Stoke if you know where to look too. The nisa station in Wrexham was also 99p. I have been paying over £1 for ages as I mostly use optimax. Neither car does more than 20 mpg so I can't claim to be that bothered by the price of fuel. Having driven a fuel efficient car it was so boring I resented every £1 a put in it. At least with the ones I have I enjoy every single quid burnt :-)

teabelly
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Pugugly {P}
Not bothered either - other things to worry about.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - daveyjp
Fuel's gone up - boo
Bombay Sapphire Gin is currently on offer at Morrisons - £16 rather than £20 for a litre hooray!

The £4 saved can go towards the fuel to get it!
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Paul I
work: About £200K is what our base line fuel has gone up (since Apr 07) it the last means that our fuel bill will have risen to just over £2 million for the year. However some of our contracts are fixed price for 3 years. We have 7 trucks coming of lease in Jan 08 they won't be replaced. 5 Drivers will go and our older owned equipment will be kept for another year at least.

Wonderful thing is the older trucks being kept - they pollute more and do less MPG another well thought policy from HM Govt!!

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Aprilia
Anyone on middle income has had things pretty good over the last few years - nothing to moan about at all. Motoring is probably cheaper than it was 10 years ago. Stuff that was out of reach of ordinary people (sat-nav, big flat-screen tv) is now cheap as chips at supermarkets. There is almost too much affluence and over-consumption.
A few pennies on petrol is neither here nor there - maybe costing me £50 or so a month extra - not counted it. Other stuff (like health insurance premiums and school fees) are rising at a far more rapid rate.
I shall be going away to SA for a Christmas/New Year break in the sun. The airport will be packed with people doing the same. There is still plenty of money in the economy, its not all doom and gloom.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - jbif
How much has the fuel increase cost you?

Just driving in a sympathetic Advanced Driver style will save more in fuel costs than taken up the price rise.

Unfortunately most people in the world, including the UK, are penny wise and pound foolish. Just last week, a "friend" told me that their Company had announced that next years pay rise will range between 1.5% and 2.5% depending on each individual's performance. Those who are in the habit of calling in sick on Mondays may get nothing. Anyway, one employee wnet to see the Personnel Officer to request that due to personal problems (over borrowed, plus cost of running car, etc,) could the employee be given special consideration for a higher pay award. On questioning, it turns out that the employee smokes, likes to go clubbing every Friday and Saturday, runs a brnad new car on pcp lease, and buys a new set of clothes (empties the wardronbe) at the start of eevery season. This employee felt the increased cost of petrol was to blame for the predicament!
"Wonderful thing is the older trucks being kept - they pollute more and do less MPG another well thought policy from HM Govt!! "

Paul I - I do not follow what you mean.
As Aprilia says in the post above "There is almost too much affluence and over-consumption."
I.M.O. - The reason the world is in the mess today is the mad rush to replace old working equipment with so called "better" equipment. Everything is "not-repairable" but can only be replaced by a new part (or a new truck when the older trucks make more sense when the environmental cost of producing new trucks is taken in to account).
The business of producing automotive products and spare parts is probably the most globally damaging activity in the world. Garages contribute by trying to get people to fit new parts when the old parts are perfectly OK - tyres and new brake pads and discs are just a small part of this problem.

Edited by jbif on 15/12/2007 at 23:50

How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Aprilia
Jbif, I agree.

I cringe when I go to Makro/B&Q etc and see rechargable drills at £15. All that copper, LiMH battery, plastic etc which you know will end up in a landfill within two years because the product is rubbish. A waste of raw materials. Much better if the product were not available and something better (and repairable) costing £50 were bought in its place.

On the general fuel costs issue people are fond of pretending that its costing them a lot. Its not. Look at all the 4x4's driving around with £200-a-corner tyres. In the D-segment around 20% of new car retail sales are BMW 3-series - these people should not be worried about 10p on a litre of fuel, they probably loose more in depreciation with each mile travelled than its costing them in petrol.

Take 'professional' pay. At the bottom of the pile an established married teacher couple will be earning £60k+ between them. A couple working as police officers, the same or a bit more. Accountants earning c.£80k plus bonus.
I am much more concerned about quality of life issues such as congestion, crime, pollution etc than the current cost of fuel.
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Tron
I have recently sold my (unleaded) 1.4 Astra Swing M reg and bought a dual fuel (LPG/Petrol) Astra 2003 estate.

Yes, it has cost me a lot in outlay.

I am recovering this by having reduced my monthly fuel costs from circa 101.9p for a litre of unleaded to (todays pump price) 44.9p per litre for LPG.

As in: To fill up with 50 litres of LPG @ 44.9p = £22.45.
50 litres of unleaded @ 101.9p per litre = £50.95.

I do an average of 350 (or circa 18,000pa) miles in a week. Even at 35mpg on LPG - that is a big fuel cost to find funding for each year.

However, the savings by me changing to a dual fuel vehicle are very obvious and I will recoup the cost of my outlay in around 24 months (if my maths are right).

I also use this site: www.petrolprices.com.

This site will give you (very) accurate fuel prices for up to a 20 mile radius of any UK post code you put in.

Don't believe the supermarkets are the cheapest - this site WILL show you they are not!
How much has the fuel increase cost you? - Paul I
Wonderful thing is the older trucks being kept - they pollute more and do less MPG another well thought policy from HM Govt!! "

Let me explain this coment further ..... A 2004 Truck does just over 8.O MPG However these are leased and so they will returned to the manufacturer at won't be replaced dueto the down turn in the economy.

We also have so 2002-03 trucks which only do 6.75 to the gallon loaded about 7.5 on a good day these are owned and being kept. HM Govenement tax rises actually force us to retain older machines rather than be able to invest our profit in new vehicles. I would doubt whether we will make more than 4% at the end of the year effectively we could sell up and put the money in Northern Rock and get a better return on investment - 67 Jobs directly would go but "we've never had it so good" acccording to Gordon B.