2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - fraz
Hi All, The driverside seat belt on Civic is very slow to retract when removed and often gets caught in the door. Honda want £250 to fix as have to replace the whole set up! Is there anything i can do to improve the retraction performace as it is workign just rather slowly.

I did a google search and in the US honda offer a lifetime warranty on belts and repair FOC - and so they should. Does anyone know if this applys in the UK or not?

regards Fraz

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/12/2007 at 18:14

Civic 2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - Ruperts Trooper
A tip given to me a a friendly MOT tester, when he failed the car on belt retraction - pull the belt all the way out and spray it with silicone lubricating spray - then let it go back, but pull out several times to get the silicone into the reel.
Civic 2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - Hamsafar
try getting a bucket of hot water with laundry soap in it and pull the belt out and thoroughly wash it under thexwster and dry on a towel. It always works for me unless there is something broken.
Civic 2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - bell boy
its what i do Ruperts Trooper,so good tip ...........
2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - Falkirk Bairn
Pull it out to the full extent - it may have folded over / got caught in some way -

My Mazda had a similar problem a few years back and that fixed it.
2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - *Gongfarmer*
As well as cleaning the belt, make sure you thoroughly clean the swivel by lifting the belt up and using a thin piece of wet cloth as a "pull through". If the belt is gunged up it will have rubbed off on the pivot vastly increading the ammount of friction.
2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - bell boy
gunged up?
yuk yuk yuk..........i have visions of mucky fat chips and sweeties all embroiled on the pivot now :-( put me right off me toast ;-)
2003 - Very Slow Seat Belt Retraction - 1066
pull the belt all the way out and spray it with silicone lubricating spray - then let it go back, but pull out several times to get the silicone into the reel.

the silicone spray really works well.in and out about 10 times whilst spraying on silicone made mine retract faster than new