oil leaks at mot - milkyjoe
are engine oil leaks part of the mot? i reckon im losing about .5 ltr per 600mls so i wouldnt consider it severe in any way......thanks mj

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/12/2007 at 18:50

oil leaks @ mot - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
If the leak is not safety related (eg on to brake parts etc.) and you are pressed for time, why not wipe the oily bits just before the car is sent for the MOT?
oil leaks @ mot - DP
I've never had a car fail an MOT on an oil leak. And some of the cars I've owned had big ones

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
oil leaks @ mot - Screwloose

If the oil drips down the tester's neck, it can have a very marked effect on the tolerance of discretionary fail items....
oil leaks @ mot - milkyjoe
thanks for the replies, i was just asking because i was reading a recent post , a fiat with an oil leak advisory that got me thinking thats all...cheers mj
oil leaks @ mot - Number_Cruncher
I don't *think* there's a specific "reason for rejection" which includes engine oil leaks.

I think that an advice is the most you can get from an MOT, I don't *think* you can fail for it - unless the oil leak is so bad that the tester can't see enough to make an examination, in which case, the test is cancelled; you don't fail!, but you don't pass either!

However, as an MOT is not in any way an indicator of roadworthiness (whatever that weasel word means!), having a valid MOT certificate, however recent, does not not stop you being "done" by the police if they stop you, and think the leak is dangerous.

Of course, while you might decide your odds of winning the lottery are higher than being stopped by traffic police, I couldn't possibly comment.

Number_Cruncher

oil leaks @ mot - Simon
Dare I suggest that it would be beneficial to all to have the oil leak fixed instead? Think of the hazard that lost oil causes to other road users - in particular motorcyclists.
oil leaks @ mot - bell boy
it might be due to a blocked breather cap so change this as a first step ,i once mugged a fiesta auto away to trade only to be told the next day that this was the problem,it cost me many spondies so the memory is very clear to me to always check breathers before i blame seals or penquins