2001 1.6 Petrol Hot Start Problem - Help!!! - bhermer
Hi, hope someone out there can help me.

I bought a 2001 VW Golf, 1.6 petrol about 1 month ago from a dealer.

From cold, car starts fine, runs fine, but if I stop at a garage, say after 30 mins driving (temp guage is in normal range) then the car wont start again. I can get it to start by putting throttle down full and craking until it does start, but it takes a while!

In my very limited knowledge I am guessing it has something to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor, trouble is the garage are telling me they will charge me £80 to put it on the diagnosis machine because sensors, apparently arent covered by their standard warranty.

Is there anytihng I can try myself to determine if it is this sensor?

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2007 at 12:59

Golf 1.6 Petrol Hot Start Problem - Help!!! - Screwloose
bh

Unless it's got one of the many fake "Genuine Bosch" MAF sensors on it; then this is far more likely to be the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. [It's got it's own - built-into the gauge one.]

They are quite cheap and easy [2 mins] to replace - just get a new plastic clip and rubber seal too.
Golf 1.6 Petrol Hot Start Problem - Help!!! - maltrap
if it's the same temperature sensor as my 1.6 2003 gollf it, s built into the thermostat housing the 3 parts come as 1 unit i recently paid an indipendant £130 to fit a new thermostat because of this. they charged me £65 for a vw part but ithink you can get them from GSF for £35.
Golf 1.6 Petrol Hot Start Problem - Help!!! - Screwloose

I'd only ever fit a genuine one - and they're around £13 to me.