Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - Using Oil - Chris75
Posting this in discussion for general views.

Our 2005 Vivaro van (1.9 cdti) has been in the garage for about five weeks out of the past eight. 3 vists to first dealer then 1 vist to another dealer.

The van is using oil - about 1 litre per 100 miles. Noisey Turbo. First dealed said they have replaced Turbo, intercooler and various other parts to do with exhaust manifold (they said this was making the noise after replacing turbo).

Second dealer replaced Mass Airflow Meter (becasue thats what the computer told them).

After a run on Friday the problem is still there. When we collected the van from the second dealer, they said if the problem persits then they would have to strip the engine and check for piston wear & that this would not be covered by warranty.

The van was registered in march 2005 and has done 72k so is still covered by manufacturer 3 yr / 100k warranty.

Is there a case for claiming this is due to wear & tear?

Chris

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2007 at 10:28

Vivaro - Using Oil - Paul I
Don't let them flog you off with it's a van it must have been mistreated etc. This isn't normal. I think they will try to put off the real solution a new engine. Piston wear will be a defect as these engines clock up far higher mileages with no problems.
Vivaro - Using Oil - Ruperts Trooper
Get Vauxhall Customer Services involved - they use an acceptability limit of 1 litre per 1000 miles for oil consumption - they'll probably want you to run it for the 1,000 and accurately record oil put in.
Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - Using Oil - Dynamic Dave
The van is using oil - about 1 litre per 100 miles.

Was that a typo, or is really using 1 litre per 100 miles? Reason being, if it was actually 1000 miles, then Vauxhall will say that is acceptable (as per reference in the handbook)
No, Not a typo.

Van is being returned to second dealer this morning. Will let you know what they say.
Collected van this evening.

This time they have replaced Vacuum Pump Seal & Turbo Oil Return Seal.

Will keep a close eye on the oil level and see how it goes.

There is still a definite whine/whistle when under load above 2500 revs
Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - Using Oil - TheOilBurner
The version of this engine fitted to the Vectra also whistles at higher revs, that's just the normal operation of the turbo. Don't worry about it.

As long as it stops using oil, it should be fine.
Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - Using Oil - DP
I thought this was a Renault F9Q engine??

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 14/12/2007 at 09:23

Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - Using Oil - TheOilBurner
Actually, you're right!

coat/door :)
Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - further advice req. - Chris75
This is now turning into a complete nightmare.

All seemed fine with the van for a few weeks after collecting it in mid December.

Mid January the brakes failed. Local indy had a look and advised new Vacuum Pump required. He could do it next day for £70.00 plus VAT plus time. In order to get the van back on the road i asked him just to do it.

Indy called me next day and advised that upon removing the Pump he discovered that the camshaft was broken.

Van taken to Vauxhall Dealer No.3 (same franshise as Dealer No.1). Got a call from them 2 weeks ago saying Vauxhall had authorised repairs and they were ordering parts.

Further phone call from dealer this morning saying that Vauxhall are not paying to fix it because a third party had removed the pump.

Have I a leg to stand on?
Vivaro 2005 1.9CDTi - further advice req. - Chris75
Just to update this, eventually got the camshaft fixed by Vauxhall. Now have new problem (in Tech) and van is now over 3 years old :-(