Your commute - plan it on public transport - PoloGirl
Another thread got me thinking.

Currently I work about 18 miles from home, and the road is a glorious old one that nobody else seems to use (it runs parallell to the motorway so perhaps they are all on that). It costs me about 11p per mile (very rough - £60 gets me about 530 miles) in fuel.

So my current journey costs me about £2 each way, and takes about 25 minutes.

I just used www.transportdirect.info and www.thetrainline.co.uk to plan the same journey.

I would have to:

Walk to the bus stop - 3 minutes
Bus into town to the station - 21 minutes and about £1.50
Train journey - 16 minutes and £6.50 return
Walk to the office - about 15 minutes.

So that's the best part of an hour in whatever the weather throws at you, having to smell and hear other people (call me anti-social, but...) and having to be at the mercy of bus and rail timetables. All for the bargain price of just short of £10 per day.

I'll take the car, thanks!

Your commute - plan it on public transport - Pugugly {P}
1 Bus 07:04 07:53 49 mins

2 Car 0 07:00 07:19 19 mins / 6.4miles

19 Minutes to drive 6 miles ! More like ten. Keeping the Roomster.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - dragon
Need to start the night before. Earliest I could get to work is 45 mins late!

Bus, train bus, bus 20 min walk. No I'll stick to the car thanks - 50 min journey.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - AlastairW
Driving takes 30 mins (though can be 15 on a good day, or 55 on a bad day)
Walking takes 40 mins, no matter what happens to the traffic. If I didn't need the car during the day I would walk more often.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Altea Ego
leave home at 7
30 miles
Arrive 08:45
£8 congestion charge
£15 parking
Diesel £6

or
Leave at 7:45
Walk to station 08:01 to waterloo
read times, drink coffee
arrive 08:40
ten minutes walk to office.

£16 return

------
< Ulla>
Your commute - plan it on public transport - BobbyG
I will spare you the exact graphic details but the summary of my three alternative travels to work. Total distance 12.5 miles.

Bike
Alarm goes off at 06.45, up, dressed and on bike for 07.00. Arrive at work at 07.55. Showered, dressed and at my desk for 08.15. Total bed to desk 1.5 hours.
Cost - zero. (OK maybe my life if I went on these dark mornings!)

Car
Alarm goes off at 07.15. Showered, dressed and in car for 07.45. Arrive at work 08.30 at earliest, more likely 08.45 depending on how the traffic is, and how I get on with the 15 or whatever sets of traffic lights I need to go through! Get 40mpg so roughly 1/3 of a gallon so about £1.60 for fuel alone.

Train
As car but leave house at 07.45, walk to train station, 20 mins train journey where everyone (no exception) sits with headphones on! Walk from train station to work. Arrve work 08.40.
Cost £2.45

This is actually something very close to my heart as I have experimented with all 3 since moving to a job in the city centre that was accessible by train and working 9-5 as opposed to previously wotking in out of town supermarkets with shifts!

I am also, hopefully, going to be given the use of a van which will be kept at my workplace, this therefore means I do not have to take my car into work at all (I sometimes have to use it for work purposes). I will therefore be able to get a weekly train ticket which will cost me £20 for 5 return hourneys, £2 each way and relatively hassle free.

When i travel by train I do find myself arriving at work much less stressed than I do when travelling by car.

However, by far the best option is the bike. When I cycle to work, I have a slight smugness, I feel fitter, each day's journey is a challenge, both in what I might meet on the road, but also trying to knock a second or two of my best time! It also means when I get home at night then I can look back on having done 25 miles cycling and don't need to worry about trying to get out for a swim or go to the gym. I can just sit back and relax and chill!

--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Your commute - plan it by car!! - Bromptonaut
You are of course lucky enough to have free parking at/near work. I work in central London where, I accept, normal rules do not apply and parking is £30 per day + congestion charge + nightmare journey on M1/A41 etc.While the train season from Northampton is an eye watering £3700 I can work/sleep on the train and the brisk bike ride from Euston to the office gets evrything tuned up for the day. My housing costs are about £1500 less per year than the would be in Hemel/Watford where seasons are arounf £1000 cheaper.

In a more provincial example I grew up on the line of the A65 out of Leeds. Were I still in the area I could spend time driving bumper to bumper from Kirkstall to City Square and pay £6 per day to park in the City Centre. Or I could walk/cycle to Guiseley Station and take the fast electric train to town using my Metrocard.

Horses for courses!!!

Your commute - plan it by car!! - DP
I also work in Central London, but drive to an outlying Underground station and then Tube the last bit.

It costs me £7 in fuel, £2 to park at the station, and £5.50 for the Tube (£2 in as it's usually before 7 am and £3.50 back out)

When I looked into a season ticket to do the whole journey by rail, it was £6000 (daily return on a "walk on" basis is £32). That is a joke and not worthy of further consideration. My investigations were abandoned from that moment on.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Your commute - plan it by car!! - Bill Payer
It costs me about 11p per mile...

We've been through this before - the problem with car ownership is that most of the cost is fixed, so you're paying for the car whether you use it or not. For average users, pretty well the only variable cost is the fuel cost.

If you had to pay the whole cost of owning / running a car on a per mile basis then it would be more like 50p. Suddenly public transport starts to look cost effective. There's an easy fix for the disparity - road charging!

The other thing is that you're starting from the existing position of travelling to work by car. If you had to rely on public transport then you may well choose where you work based on how easily / cheaply you can there.

Your commute - plan it by car!! - rtj70
Current project = works anywhere with access = home for now. Lucky me. Alt location might be Slough and hotels.

Other times.... driving to Manchester and parking more expensive than the train....

- Normal daily return = £3.50 and parking treble that or worse. And the walk to station would be ten minutes.

- For an evening trip to Manchester it's only £1.75 return (actually priced from that from midday) but last train back is just after 11pm. So this week the theatre will need he use of the car and more than £6 for parking!

Your commute - plan it by car!! - stunorthants26
Well I cant use public transport to get to work as my ctomer live all over the county.

However, if I want to go to the bank say, I cant catch a bus because there isnt one, although there is a bus stop, just to tease.
Therefore, its an hours walk atleast and if I get a last minute job come in, I have turn it down.
Yeah I love public transport, its such an alternative lol.
I did use ap ark&ride once down in Saltash, Devon. Worked very well, parking in a field and busses into town every 15 mins. Great service and cheap too.
stunorthants26, Hope the customers pay for travel expenses,
Your commute - plan it by car!! - ForumNeedsModerating
Indeed Bill Payer, the OP's calculations are facile, but not uncommon. It's important to understand just how much of our income is devoted to cars (..and 'devoted' is a deliberate choice of words) & how such spending 'falls under the radar' when trying to get to a reasonable (..and accurate) understanding of such things, i.e. true comparisons of transport costs.

I fully expect a bangernomics expert to post shortly & say that his/her total costs can undercut your assumptions of fixed costs (principally capital depreciation) & that the OP's assumptions & calculations could be accurate, if applied to their circumstances. Perhaps then, they should consider the destruction of value (from somebody's wallet) that occurs before they buy their banger.

Edited by woodbines on 10/12/2007 at 00:11

Your commute - plan it by car!! - Aprilia
Indeed Bill Payer the OP's calculations are facile but not uncommon.

Too right! If only we had cars that cost 11p/mile to run.. LOL!

I sometimes think about the big fleets in this country (e.g. Motability have about 400,000 cars and the banks, insurance co's etc etc, not to mention lease companies have literally millions between them). Think about all that depreciation - its not wooden dollars either, its real money that comes out of the economy. Imagine if just a half of that went into alternative transport infrastructure...

And yes, busses/trains/trams etc are not much good if they don't go directly where you want, but they are very useful if they do. |There's also a lot more of them in the city than in the country - 'cos there's more people who want to move around. Simple, isn't it?
Your commute - plan it by car!! - PoloGirl
>the OP's calculations are facile

Deliberately so though. And I did say 11p per mile in fuel.

I considered not even bringing cost into it because I knew the pedants would be circling.

To be honest, even if public transport was free, I would only use it as an absolute last resort.
I considered not even bringing cost into it because I knew the pedants would be
circling.

Hardly 'pedants' when your original post compared a £2.50 'cost' of using the car with the £10 spent on public transport. I'll bet the real cost of using your car is a least £10 - to someone, if not to you.
To be honest even if public transport was free I would only use it as
an absolute last resort.

Excellent. That will leave a bit more room for the rest of us because if PT were free then I'd certainly use it where practical. And one less person to hear and/or smell.... LOL!
Your commute - plan it by car!! - Kuang
Hmm, a few brief calculations later, taking into account all the the annual costs of running my car for a typical year (uncluding a realistic maintenance allowance based on experience) and then fuel on top, and I estimate 15p per mile in total. This is helped by having a very cheap and economical used car that was paid in full three years ago. Even if I had to absorb the cost of the car into the mileage I've done in it so far, it's still only add slightly over a penny to each mile and that's getting cheaper each trip :)
The advantage of being close enough to a city centre (but no closer) is we left Manchster near the Christmas markets on the free bus at 16:50 and at 17:04 were on the train home (with lots of goodies)... by 17:25 brewing a pot of tea at home.

(Okay cheated as car near local station)... but it cost £1.75 each return.

As for pence per mile driving... it depends. Which is why I dread the fuel card. On business miles you could make a little per mile.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - MichaelR
Interesting site. Reckons for my home-uni trip I should walk for 24 minutes and then get a bus for 18 minutes, then walk for 6 minutes. This is about right - total cost inc bus ticket, £1.90 and 46 minutes.

But for 'Car' it reckons it will take 38 minutes? To do 5 miles? What planet are they on? It takes 15 minutes, tops. By car it takes 10 minutes at night and 15 minutes during the day, and costs me £2 in fuel (at 20mpg).

Tend to use the bus once a week becuase I can't find anywhere to park all day, and I've got lectures all day on that particular day.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - Westpig
I wouldn't mind using public transport in theory, (doesn't work for me as 3 bus changes and over an hour and a half versus 20 mins, makes it a no-no)....IF the rest of the public could be a bit more civilised....... by that i mean:

-personal hygiene
-not eating right next to me, whatever it is
-not playing music so loud on headphones all you can hear is the irritating clicking sound
-not looking like they'd rip my head off if i dared to say'could you take your feet off the seat'
-not answering a mobile phone and talking very loudly
-smelling of drink

in other words, having some consideration for other people

so i'm with PG on this one
Your commute - plan it by car!! - Wee Willie Winkie
My public transport journey is either:

30 minute walk across fields to the train station
20 minute train journey to Liverpool city centre
30 minute train journey to Warrington town centre
20 minute walk to office.

or

20 minute walk to bus stop
40 minute bus journey to Liverpool city centre
30 minute train journey to Warrington town centre
20 minute walk to office.

Car is 50 minutes door to door. Costs about £6 in diesel a day, plus insurance, depreciation, rfl etc etc. I reckon about £11 a day in running costs and fuel.

However, as someone has already pointed out, my car costs me if I use it or not. As the public transport option costs about £11 return per day, in reality in will cost me approx £16 as I've got to pay the fixed costs for my car in addition to the public transport cost.

So, in a very rough finger in the air summary, public transport costs me £16, takes 1hr40min and I get my feet muddy. Car costs £11 and is warm.

No case to answer, your honour.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - grumpyscot
By car - get up at 5.30am, in car at 6am, in office 20 miles away (comfortably) by 6.30 . Finish at 2pm, home by 2.45pm absolute latest.

By bus - get up at 5.15, leave house 5.45 for 6am bus (first bus of the day). Bus gets into town at 7.10, wait for 10 mins for connecting bus, which takes 40 minutes to near office, then 10 minute walk. At desk around 8am. Which means I can't leave until 4pm - walk to bus stop - 10 mins, 40 mins into town, Just miss my bus connection by 10 mins, so have to wait another 40 mins for next bus. Takes 1 hour 25 mins o/a rush hour, then 15 minute walk. Home at 6:15 pm.

Total travel time - car - 1hr 15 mins max Cost at 40p/mile = £16
Total travel time bus - 5hr 35 mins Cost = £7.

Value of 4 hrs 20 mins of my life - even at minimum wage - far exceeds the value of bus travel.

Your commute - plan it by car!! - mare
Bath to Bristol

1 - drop kids off at school, dump car at top of hill to get free parking, 20 min walk to Bath Spa, catch the just after 9.30 HST, get into Temple Meads for 9.50 and 20min walk to office.

Cost £6.50 for train ticket

2 - drop kids off at school, drive to Bristol via one of the many routes, arrive in Bristol any time between 9.45 to 10am, park in multi storey 200 yards from office. More often than not, in the office for 10am.

Cost £8.00 for parking (£10 next year), say 30-50 miles at 25mpg on super unleaded, say £6-9 petrol

3 - drop kids off at school, whizz up the park and ride lane at Brislington, park, catch bus, 10min to office. takes 50 minutes all in.

Cost - £2.40 for P&R, about £5 petrol.

Default is the car. Option 1 is by far the least stressful, but the park and ride is well entertaining on the return journey - Le Mans running starts have nothing on it.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - b308
I have three alternatives:

Walk to local railway station, 1/2hour, catch train, 45 mins, 10 min walk other end = 1hr 25mins

Drive in, 35 mins + 10min walk = 45mins, parking free.

Drive 8 miles to next station (more trains from there), 15mins, train 25mins and walk 10mins = 50mins

Costs? I have to pay for fuel, but rail costs are minimal 'cause I get a major discount, I tend to go for the third option as it reduces fuel costs, I have more trains to choose from and the parking is free (its not at my local station!), so works out most convenient.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - daveyjp
Disregarding the fact I have to take my daughter to nursery on the way to the office.

Train at 7.17
Leave house at 7.10

Walk to station - 300m or so.

20 minute rail journey
Walk to office 5 minutes

Cost IIRC about £2 return, time about the same as driving.

The downfall is the "Train at 7.17" - that's what the timetable says, reality can vary wildly!

I think all this thread proves is that public transport is good for some journeys and not for others. But surely we all know this, don't we?
For travel into central B'ham or London I would always use public transport - its much less hassle and probably cheaper than driving - no contest. I'm also a fan of 'Park and Ride' schemes.
From time to time I've used local busses in my locality and not had any problems with drunks or people threatening me etc., but it's a decent enough area anyway, so I wouldn't expect to. The worst that has happened is the odd crying baby, but having three children myself I'm not in a position to grumble.
Your commute - plan it by car!! - DP
I think all this thread proves is that public transport is good for some journeys and not >>for others. But surely we all know this, don't we?

I agree. Don't overlook a combination of car and public transport either though.

For me, a "half and half" approach is the best way into Central London as a balance between cost effectiveness and convenience. Car to the outskirts and then train/tube as appropriate from there.

Train all the way in from home is a pound a mile! Driving in would send me insane within a week, and would be cripplingly expensive. I reckon £40-£45 a day all in depending on where I parked.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Your commute - plan it on public transport - teabelly
For PT you also have to include a cost for extra time that it takes. My work route is 8 mins by car. 30-45 by PT as I'd have to take a bus into town and then one back out. They're only every 15 mins and tend to be unreliable. I used to walk to work which took 25 mins but the idiot council decided to close the shortcut off so I'd have to either walk through dense woodland or take the long route (45 minute walk) round. So I take the car.

The train is good if you live anywhere near a station. The last train journey I had was great. 40 minutes to get 40 miles for £8 which is cheaper than the petrol. Bus journey to home was longer than that to do the last 10! It also involved a 30 minute walk instead of going into town and getting another bus out which would have taken even longer. Bus also smelled of sick, the driver was demented, the woman in front smelled of rotting cheese so I'll stick to my car thanks.

I think the perceived PT problem is entirely down to buses. They are a rotten second class service. There needs to be a premium bus service which keeps out the BO ridden unwashed riff raff so the rest of the population, that would use a bus if it didn't stink, would start to use them more.

Depreciation isn't a problem if you don't waste money on new cars every few years. Make an old one last and you have cheap travel anywhere at any time.
teabelly
Your commute - plan it on public transport - pendulum
Car: 57 mins, 40.8 miles.
Bus, Train, Walk: The best they have to offer me is 2hours, 09 mins and it would cost more.

I don't think so.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Baskerville
>The train is good if you live anywhere near a station.

I think there is a tendency in discussions like this to assume that where you live in relation to railway stations, bus routes, and your place of work is some kind of cosmic accident. In fact for most people it is a matter of choice. I live near a station. It was one of the criteria in the house buying process. As a result public transport for my wife's commute (I work from home) is cheaper, faster, and more predictable by far than taking the car. And she works on the train, cutting down the amount of time she spends working in the evenings.

So when I hear people I know who moved out into the back of beyond complaining about the cost of fuel, speed cameras, congestion and the rest I just think: 'Feh! Your choice, sunshine.'
Your commute - plan it on public transport - teabelly
Not every town has a rail station. Some people move to be near a station then watch as the rail companies reduce services so using them to get to work stops being viable. My parents have this problem as the station in their town is now being classed as not being viable. All around stoke stations such as blythe bridge, longton and etruria have been downgraded or closed down. How does this help? Towns with rail stations are often far more costly to live in than those without. Not everyone can afford to live where they need. Not every job is secure enough to allow such a thing either. The car has led to much more flexible working patterns which previously would never have worked. I'm sure no one would go back to shops only being open monday to saturday. How do the first bus drivers of the day get to work exactly if they don't have the use of a car? Does one of them take the bus home and have it parked outside in the street? I'm sure the neighbours would be really impressed if they all started doing that.

I moved to be where I work. Towns with rail stations are further away. I'm about to lose my job so I'd have to either move or commute by car. Many friends have moved only to find that they job they moved for gets rid of them so they're back to square one. To afford the house close to a station you'll need two wages so how do you make sure there are two of you commuting to the same place? Jobs aren't always that easy to find where you want and when you want them.

Perhaps everyone should sit on the dole and claim housing benefit instead of actually getting off their backside and into work. If you make commuting too expensive then this is exactly what will happen. The numbers of economically inactive people have risen dramatically as people can see they're better off unemployed. No idiot bosses, no long commutes, no effort required to get money and free dental care, prescriptions and other benefits the rest of us have to work for.

If you want everyone to live where they work then expect house prices to sky rocket as those with money start buying up second homes close to work so they reduce their commute and have weekend residences too. It will also be grist to the mill for BTL'ers as they'll also be buying up all the flats/small houses near new centres of industry. Bad luck to those that just want one home, reasonably close to where they work and reasonably close to the transport they need.
teabelly
Your commute - plan it on public transport - barney100
Journey 1
Walk to bus stop 15 mins
Bus into town
Get second bus
Could get within 3 miles of destination
Walk the rest carrying three cases
Time about 3 hours
Present time by car 23 mins.

Other journey would involve two buses and a train and take all morning,
as I start at 7.30 am I think I'll stick to the car.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - local yokel
Agree, Baskerville. People suggest to me that it's good luck that I live 5 mins from the station, so my kids can go to school by train. Luck has nothing to do with it!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Bill Payer
Agree Baskerville. People suggest to me that it's good luck that I live 5 mins
from the station so my kids can go to school by train. Luck has nothing
to do with it!

Exactly my point, and the other end of it is true too - you chose to send you kids to the school accessible by train. Some people would send their kids to a school (or take a job) 10 miles into the wilderness, then moan they can't get their using PT.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - wotspur
I live in Weybridge and travel daily to different clients carrying heavy equipment to show them.
One day, I left home to go to New Malden, from there heading towards Richmond, I got stuck in a traffic survey in Kingston .
Where do you live, where have you been, where are you going- could you have done it by public service- my response was to say how could I carry all that equipment on a bus, but even if I had none the journey's would have been nigh on impossible.

Now at the weekend, when it comes to going to football, Weybridge -Tottenham- cycle to station, train to Vauxhall, tube to Seven Sisters, then walk or bus to the ground -quicker easier and less hassle, unless like last night I lost my mobile, but that could have happened anyway if I'd driven.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - smallfish
I deliberately live 3.5 miles from my workplace in Manchester. Much as I'd love to live in the country it would cost me about £10 per day and take me a minimum of an hour each way whether by car or train.
As well as saving cash I reckon that living close to work buys me 90 extra mins per day at home with my family which is priceless.

Cycle: (which is what I do 95% of the time)

20 mins door to desk (includes time to change clothes)
Cost approx 50p per day (for wear and tear, clothing, equipment etc)

Bus:

3 mins walk to bus stop
22 mins bus journey
2 mins walk to work
Total cost £2.50 return per day (£2/day if i bought a weekly pass )

Car:

20 Mins drive to car park
10 mins walk to office
Cost - £5.50 per day parking + £1 petrol + unknown amount for extra insurance as car is not currently insured for commuting + wear and tear/depreciation

(Curiously, the car route suggested by the transport direct link the OP put up was in my case ridiculous - 1.5 miles and about 10 mins longer than the route I take when I do drive... )
Your commute - plan it on public transport - boxsterboy
I need a car for work (as a surveyor - carrying ladder and tool kit to look at houses in London) so that muddies the water a bit when it comes to comaprisons. I used to keep a Smart car in town precisely for this, and use SWMBO's car at the weekend (which sometimes created conflicts of interest!). But just comparing the travelling time/costs/convenience, PT comes off worse in all respects for me.

PT: Cycle to station - 10 mins (good for health when dry and in daylight, bad for health when dark and wet). Train to Waterloo 50 mins. Tube 30 mins. Walk to office 15mins. Total time 115mins. Return cost £16.00 (rising by £3.00 if it is so wet in the morning I drive to station and park there).

Car: Drive 25 miles each way. 50 mins - 120 mins traffic depending. Return fuel cost @ 30 mpg = £10.00.

Whatever people may say, the cost of motoring has been reducing for years, as the cost of PT has been rising for years, with more coming, and this is one of PT's main problems.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - TheOilBurner
My car journey is 35-70 mins depending on traffic, 35 miles each way.

That includes dropping off my son at childcare.

Doing the whole lot on public transport takes a *minimum* of two hours each way, sometimes as much as three hours or so. I know, I've tried it!

Guess how I get to work? They can throw as much fuel duty and congestion charging at as they like, but it'll be worth paying it to save at least two hours a day in travelling...

Mrs Oilburner travels a similar distance taking 50 minutes or so. By public transport her journey would take FOUR hours each way!! No direct routes and destination area is very poorly served. She would struggle to arrive at work by lunch time!

That's according to www.transportdirect.info.

p.s. we live in a major commuter town within spitting distance of a major city...
Your commute - plan it on public transport - barchettaman
I have 4 options:

1) Walk along the river, 22 minutes
2) Cycle along the river, 6-7 minutes
3) 5 minute car journey. If I have guests for a show we´ll all go in to the theatre together. Parking for the evening by the opera is a staggering 5 euros.
4) 2 trams - about 15 mins if I remember the timetables and arrive as one is coming.

All pretty stress free :-)
Your commute - plan it on public transport - local yokel
PoloGirl - your £2.00 for the journey in the car isn't quite true, though, as there's wear and tear, servicing etc. to take into account, plus insurance, road tax and depreciation/finance if you were to count the full cost of ownership. You would do well to get that lot for less than 50p/mile, which come closer to the PT cost, though I agree it's still worth paying for the convenience.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - nick
The £2.00 is the extra cost of the journey. Apart from a tiny amount of wear and tear and a little extra depreciation due to increasing the mileage on the car, everything else is a sunk cost, assuming you are going to own the car anyway. So it can be ignored unless you want to compare with not having a car at all.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - boxsterboy
Barchettaman, which enlightened European country offers you such an excellent choice of transport? Stress-free for you, but depressing for us back home!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - barchettaman
Frankfurt, mate.
More depressing news - because I work for the town, I am entitled to something called a job ticket, a heavily subsidised monthly travel card which is something like 16 euros a month. Although as I do 99% of short journeys on the bike I don´t bother getting it.
There are good and bad things about everywhere one would choose to live, but the public transport system here in Chermany is generally reckoned to be one of the better things about the place.
And the beer ain´t bed either.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - RichardW
I don't even want to think about getting here on PT - I would probably be just as well sleeping at the office for all the time I would get at home. In fact I could probably cycle (30 miles) quicker than I could get PT - and I'm out of shape these days!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Your commute - plan it on public transport - normd2
PT makes no sense for me at all - this is what Transport Direct gave me to get to work for 9 am:

walk 9 mins
coach 42 mins
wait 22 mins (at a bus stop not a cozy bus station with a cafe)
bus 18 mins
walk 12 mins arriving at 08:46

to get home again leaving work at 5pm:

walk 13 mins
wait 11 mins
bus 8 mins
coach 25 mins
walk 9

car:
20/25mins each way (although the website reckons it takes 38 mins for the 18 miles)

no contest

Edited by normd2 on 10/12/2007 at 17:00

Your commute - plan it on public transport - Bagpuss
Me
Car: 20 minutes
PT: 5 minutes walk + 10 minutes travel (changing trains once) + 5 minutes walk = 20 minutes, 2 Euros
Bike: 25 minutes

Mrs Bagpuss
Car: 50 minutes
PT: 5 minutes walk + 40 minutes travel (also changing trains once) + 5 minutes walk = 50 minutes, 6 Euros

Some calculations in this thread are a long way from telling the whole story as to what running a car really costs. As well as age, depreciation is very highly affected by mileage which is why high mileage cars are worth less than low mileage ones of the same age. Also, if you restrict your mileage you can frequently negotiate a lower insurance premium.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - nick
I tried the route planning link. It couldn't find a route from my postcode, probably because I'm in the sticks. When I put in my nearest village, it didn't recognise it. The time taken to drive to my nearest town was given as 47 minutes. It's easily done in 20-25 minutes. Could the car calculation be biased in order to help favour public transport? Shurely not!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - David Horn
12 miles into Oxford Airport, all down main roads.

Bus, Walk
Changes: 2
Leave: 08:07
Arrive: 09:43
Time: 1 hour, 36 mins

It reckons an average speed of 30MPH for the car and a time of 30 minutes. I've done it in under 20 before, so it's hardly surprising which one wins!

Isn't public transport wonderful?
Your commute - plan it on public transport - midlifecrisis
I physically couldn't use Public transport. I have to be at work by 7am.

My car journey is 18 miles and takes me half an hour.

The earliest bus isn't until 07:01. The total journey takes 2 hours and 19 minutes. So, even if I could do it, I'd be looking at five hours added onto my 12 hour working day.

Don't think so!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - corblimeyguvnar
Up at 7.00, in van at 7.15, 20 miles to work by 08.00
Cost circa £7

Alternative
10 minute walk to ferry
2 minutes on pier train
15 mins on ferry
5 minute walk to bus
45 minute bus ride
minimum 10 minute walk to destination

Cost circa £10

Now that doesnt sound too bad as long as all the connections are spot on.

But I'm not sure how well it would go down with the ferry master and bus drivers when I try to drag the cement mixer, 5 bags of cement, 20 bags of ballast and all me tools on board their bus or boat :-)

CBG
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Your commute - plan it on public transport - redviper
Start work at 9am Journey Distance (by Car 25 miles) (by bus (no train avaialble) around 28 miles due to the detour through the Villages)

Car: Get out of bed and get into the car for around 8:150 get to work at around 8:45 happy becasue its nice and warm, im dry and Ive spent around £2.50 in petrol cost Ive worked it out to cost me about £1 every 10 miles i drive)
Leave work at 17:30 and get back into the house at 18:05 again nice and warm and dry and only another £2.50 (ave)

Bus: get out of the house for 7am and get into the town to catch the 7:20 bus, stand in the rain if its late and get wet it might turn up at 7:30, buy a return ticket for around £5 and arrive into my destination town for about 8:20am get of the bus and walk to the other side of the town to get the bus to the trading estate where the office is, again wait in the rain for it (if there is no room under the one sided shelter) and board the bus for a ticket costing £1.20, arrive at my work for around 8:45 am
Leave work at 17:30, and run accross the road outside the office and catch the 17:33 bus back into the town another £1.20
Run accross the town to the departing bus stop, wait for around 20min at the bus stop find my return ticket and board the bus get into my home town for around 18:50, walk through my front door at 19:10.

ill keep my car!!! :-)
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Avant
I thought about this thread as I arrived home about an hour ago. I went to Durham and back today to do an afternoon lecture: if I'd taken trains, at the time I was home (Berks.) I'd have just got into Kings Cross and would be humping laptop and briefcase down to the Tube for Paddington. Instead I travelled in comfort, at (in comparison with loads of people who hurtled past me on the M1 and M40) an apparently stately 75 mph (and 50 mpg).

I go to London on the train (on average about twice a week) - no alternative unless I go PM and can leave the car at Barons Court and take the Tube - but I drive everywhere else. It isn't just a matter of finance, as some seem to think; it's also about convenience, quality of life and peace of mind. Just now I feel fine and not particularly tired - after train and tube I need a stiff G & T when I get home.

Edited by Avant on 10/12/2007 at 23:22

Your commute - plan it on public transport - grumpyscot
Our village (30 years ago) had a 15 minute frequency (and had buses with seats that didn't numb your bum). Businesses started moveing to the outskirts - on the opposite side of the city. Ring Road was built, which made car travel easy - the bus companies didn't catch on and still to this day go from one county, into the city, then out the other side.

So pepel started using cars, and there was less demand for the "don't go where we want to go" buses. So they went to 30 minute frequency, then to an hour.

It even takes 2 hours by bus (and an 18 mile journey) to get to the nearest hospital. By car, it's 10 minutes, 8 miles!

And most households in the village have two or more cars - because there are no buses. And the bus company will not put on more buses because...... everybody uses cars.

Stalemate!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - qxman {p}
I often commute the 12 miles into my local town using the bus.

12 miles each way. Bus stop 4mins from home and 10mins from office.
5 busses per hour during the day.
I can get a weekly pass (7 days unlimited travel) for £12. So that's about 120 miles of travel for £12; equivalent to 45+mpg (leaving aside the wear and tear on the car and self).
The total journey time is 40mins by car and 50mins by bus at peak time (the bus uses the bus lane so it gains in town).
Fellow passengers are nearly all commuters.
I listen to R4 on my earphones and read the paper.
Works for me!!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Bill Payer
Our village (30 years ago) had a 15 minute frequency (and had buses with seats
that didn't numb your bum). Businesses started moveing to the outskirts - on the opposite
side of the city.

Our area is a bit like that too, although we are pretty well the first village out of the city so buses take us quickly right into the centre, but that awkward for many business, hospital etc.

I was in the Bahamas a few yrs and the Jitney mini-buses (which I know are used in many othe parts of the world) zipped about everywhere and seemed to me would be an ideal solution from many urban and semi-rural areas in the UK.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - qxman {p}
Just now I feel fine and not particularly tired - after train and tube
I need a stiff G & T when I get home.

Why? I find intercity train journeys fine. I read the paper, listen to the radio (on earphones), do some work, or fall asleep! Long journeys on busy motorways are wearing.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Group B
My morning commute is 25 miles door to door, Nottingham to Chesterfield. Transportdirect says 46 minutes in the car which is about right for a moderate traffic day; can do it in 35 mins if traffic is light.

If I set my start time to 8am, the website says next quickest option is walk/tram/train/walk. This takes around 1.5 hours, and is what I would do if I could not use my car. But I would be 35 mins late for work if I set off at 8am.

If I remove the start time and set my arrival time to 9am, it disregards the tram, and instead tells me to catch a bus to Langley Mill then get the train from there; which sounds ridiculous. For the latter I would have to leave the house at 7am, 25 mins before I normally wake up, and would arrive at work 25 minutes early.
If I go to advanced options and remove the bus option, it uses the tram but increases the journey time to 1hr 50 mins, and I would have to leave the house at 6:44am... Unthinkable!

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 11/12/2007 at 12:54

Your commute - plan it on public transport - GroovyMucker
By car: 35 minutes, leaving at 6.50,

By public transport (including a lift to the station): 1h20 one way; 1h40 back (no lift).

According to Transport Direct: 1h45.

Cheaper by train, and with other advantages, but I'm not prepared to add almost two hours to my working day.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - AR-CoolC
By car 57 miles in about 1hr 20mins.

By public transport 5 changes, and just under 4hrs later I'd be at work 2 hrs late and travelled 116 miles producing 12.6kg or CO2

By car I'd produce about the same CO2, got to work on time and had a half hour longer in bed.

Your commute - plan it on public transport - Sofa Spud
I'd rather work 4 x 10 hour days a week than 5 x 8 hour days (depending on the type of work!). That would save one whole return journey a week. If more companies let people do that that it would cut congestion, save fuel and save the time and expense of one return commute journey per week for each willing participant.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - PhilW
Well, I have a very short commute - only 5 miles by my "rural" route to avoid 2 villages. It usually takes me about 8 to 10 minutes by car. Have to be at work by 8-30 at latest. Usually leave at 8, stop to buy paper on the way, get to work at about 8.15, have coffee, chat, prepare for work (! OK, sit and have a vague thought or two), and ready to start at 8.30.
By public transport, leave house at 7.27, walk to bus to catch 7.30 bus, 12 mins on bus and then a 24 min walk to work arriving at 8.06 (Next bus 30 mins later would get me there at 8.36 - too late) - 39 mins
What I don't understand is why my car journey is, according to website, 10.9 miles - it is exactly 5 miles by my longer "rural" route, only 3.9 (on car odometer) by the direct route. The map shows that it takes me in the most incredibly roundabout route, which manages to include 3 villages including the 2 that I avoid. I cannot imagine why anyone (or any satnav/routeplanner) would take that route - have checked with viamichelin/AA/RAC/ and various other routeplanners (not much to do this evening!) and none go anywhere near what is suggested by Transport Direct (??) - so what's that about??
Fares also not available - but wouldn't be much - probably "pence", but then so are my diesel costs (and car would still be depreciating on the drive if I went by bus)
--
Phil
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Bromptonaut
I think Transport Direct has been improved but when first introduced it was giving laughable options involving long detours. Roger Ford wrote a damning piece in Modern Railways on it's suggestions for a few routine journys from his home near Welwyn Garden City.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/12/2007 at 19:15

Your commute - plan it on public transport - redviper
Enviroemental issues aside, why should i give my car up and use public transport i pay my road tax, insurance, and petrol taxes to use it at my convenience and luxury benifits (ie its warm and dry) i dont pay for all this just for the car to sit outside my house and then pay for further charges for a inferior service that takes longer to get to my destination, the goverment can charge what it likes for road tax and petrol while i apreciate that it does hit people hard in the wallet , its not going to stop people giving up the things that they pay good money for to use a inferior servise that will always be in someways just as a expensive
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Avant
"Why? I find intercity train journeys fine"

Of course you're right, qxman, fine when you're actually on the train (KX to Durham in this case). It's car to Reading, crowded train to Paddington, tube to KX, and taxi in Durham that are the boring / stessful bits of the journey.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - ijws15
Hilarious

I live 5 minutes walk from Rugeley Town station and work near Birmingham Airport.

The logical route is walk to the station, train to New St, Train to Birmingham International, Walk (1 1/2 miles) to work.

For my normal departure time the best it can do is 2h 2min and it suggests I walk to Slitting Mill (around a mile on unlit country roads (unless I take the public footpath which crosses a stream without a bridge) to get on a bus to Hednesford where I get on the train which has just come through, and stopped at Rugeley station.

Normally 50 minutes in the car, the company expects me to have the car at work (company car) and the wife expects me to have it at home.

Yes I appreciate the car (lease, fuel and tax) costs me around £750 per month but this equates to around 30p per mile. or £8 each way. Less than the cost of train fares.

More important to my family - I would lose 2 hours at home each day since my employer would not shorten my hours!
Just checked with National Rail enquiries:
Leave home at 06:15 (40 minutes earlier than car) and taking two trains gets me to work around 08:30 (60 minutes later than car) for a price of £5.10

So IF I dump the car and if I am prepared to get up 40 minutes earlier I could save £3 one way. And I would probably then be leaving work an hour later to make up for the hour I lose at the start of the day and hence be getting home even later than normal.

For the best case gain of £3 one way . . . . .

I value my time far higher than that.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Ed V
I wonder if BRs use their car more than average becasue 1] they like cars and/or 2] they use their cars more?

I'm often staggered at the annual mileages quoted, but now understand why!

'Tis true though, as said above, that if PT were free/frequent and cars were [more] expensive it would alter the 'where shall I live calculations. Of course more people could live near stations but choose to have 3 bedrooms not 2 for instance and live further out. For those with stuff to move, then PT can never work, obviously.

Being in Womble-land, I'm about as spoilt for PT as it gets - and boy, do we pay for it in house prices! When I lived in the country I did resent never moving beyond the drive on foot, except with the dogs.
Ed V - If I moved closer to work my wife would have a longer commute!

Perhaps the Government want us to live apart!
The site gets worse - just looked at the detail and it plans walking routes as the crow flies - across gardens and fields where there is no public footpath!
Your commute - plan it on public transport - oldtoffee
4 or 5 times a month Windsor to Worcester.

Company car - leave home at 6am, 120 miles, on average 2.25 hours, fuel cost £22.

Bus, train, bus (or depending on weather, 30 minute walk) - leave home at 5.30 am total time 3.75 hours cost £34.
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Clanger
Walk 3 mins to bus stop
Wait n mins for random appearance (or not) of bus
Ride into Richmond 20 mins
Walk 5 mins to swimming pool
Cost £2.75

or

Strap luggage onto bicycle 2 mins
Ride for 25-30 mins (depending on wind strength)
Unstrap luggage 2 mins
Stagger pink-cheeked and breathless into work 1 min
Cost of recharging lights and dab of oil on chain - negligible

Drive the 6 miles, an unbelievable 14 mins.
Parking normally 6 mins or guerilla parking 2 mins
Cost £1.50 diesel (other running costs borne by handyman business)

Ride on motorcycle, anywhere between 10 mins and 1.5 hours
Time, variable, who wants to know?
Cost, as above

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Your commute - plan it on public transport - Alby Back
Some days-

7.00 - Stagger into shower
7.15 - Go downstairs and eat / drink something
7.30 - walk to office ( ten feet )
cost - not much

Alternatively -

4.00 - alarm !
4.45 - drive somewhere, usually involving the worst traffic scenario of the day. I'm sure I have a magnetic attraction for these things.

10.00 - arrive late ( due to above )
10.15 - get told that the guy I was appointed to see is "off" today. Could I "pop" back tomorrow ?
10.30 - rearrange something , usually the other side of yet another traffic jam.

and so on....

9.00 PM get home

Cost ? - Doesn't bear thinking about.

Public transport - Sure, if I could find a way of also transporting ten large holdalls on the bus / train , no problem.

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 20:58