Polo BlueMotion 2 - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
An old Elsan toilet just sprang to mind there.
But this super economy car (Autocar Road Test this week) "only" got 41mpg overall and 51.8mpg touring. The claimed figures urban/extra urban/combined are 55.4/83.1/70.6 mpg. I know these figures are for comparison only but such a wide discrepancy is ridiculous.
Many smaller diesels must be capable of getting 51 mpg without an official claim of 70mpg.
Polo BlueMotion 2 - tyro
Funny that. Another tester got much better economy than Autocar - though it seems that he was relying on his trip computer. Still, the trip computer shouldn't be that far out.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=292&

Edited by tyro on 07/12/2007 at 12:58

Polo BlueMotion 2 - nortones2
Short duration, new engine, foot flat to floor, equals low mpg. I'm sure its accurate, but it takes a lot of fuel to get the quickest 0-60 figures, not to mention gear-boxes.
Polo BlueMotion 2 - stunorthants26
Back in 1998 when the Daewoo Matiz was launched, they reckoned it could do a max of I think 54 mpg - I managed an easy 58mpg average out of mine.

If you want to achieve the official figures, you have to drive an economy car in an economical way and I doubt very much that Autocar did.
Polo BlueMotion 2 - bimmer-driver
I've got a 2007 Ibiza with the 1.4 tdi engine, now on 6000 miles. Quoted mpg is 61.4, on my last tank brim to brim it did 51.2 mpg. I'm happy with that as I don't drive it especially economically. At all.

Currently driving: 2007 SEAT Ibiza TDi
Polo BlueMotion 2 - Pugugly {P}
The advert alongside one in a VW dealer I visited recently said - "Drive all the way from London to Edinburgh (410) on a tankful" well I think my Roomster and my much loved 535d could do (or have done that)....

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/12/2007 at 18:31

Polo BlueMotion 2 - Blue {P}
Yes, that's not a very good claim if a tank costs over £50! :-)

Incidentally, what is the point of the Bluemotion? It seems to offer almost nothing over a standard small diesel car in terms of consumption and emmisions, but, it does cut back on equipment AFAIK.

Has anyone out there cottoned onto the fact that as cars often don't do the quoted mpg, they often probably chuck out more CO2 than they claim too? (not that I suppose it matters, if I did I would feel guilty about my lifestyle!)

Blue
Polo BlueMotion 2 - MichaelR
I think BMW have got the right idea when it comes to ever decreasing c02 emissions.

Instead of giving us crappy little cars with ashmatic underpowered diesel engines and ridiculous teflon coated low resistance tyres which nobody this side of a basket case eco warrior wants to buy, they've developed their engine range.

Who DOESNT want an engine which will deliver well over 50mpg, less than 150g/km of C02 oh, and give you 200bhp and rocket you to 60 in 7 seconds? I'd love some of that and I couldnt give a stuff about CO2.

Its the way forward - offer people cool stuff and they'll buy it.
Polo BlueMotion 2 - cheddar
I agree re BMW with the latest 118d / 318d, great combination of economy and performance very impressive efficiency - reckon I would pay the few MPG price for the extra torque of the #20d though the #18d is truly impressive.

The issue with cars like the Bluemotion is that they produce stunning figures on the industry / Gov std cycles (cos they are designed to) and if driven in their own time though in the real world hustle they have to be worked hard and economy suffers.

Edit: Spellin'

Edited by cheddar on 08/12/2007 at 11:16

Polo BlueMotion 2 - Pugugly {P}
HJ answers a couple of questions in his DT Letters Column on the Bluemotion.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 08/12/2007 at 11:18