Buying from Ebay, your thought please - jonrice
Hi, having looked through Ebay motors there seen to be some good deals.

I have looked through this site but not much info that I can find about buying from ebay anyone got some advice on this.

my budget is small afround 1700pounds if that helps in anyway.

Many thanks .Jon

any info much welcome.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - normd2
Jon, I know there are genuine sellers on ebay but I once 'won' an auction having based my bid on the description and photos. When I went to collect the car I was confronted by a wreck! The pics were from two years before when the seller had bought the car - be wary, always see it first, just like any other car purchase.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - Garethj
I've bought a few vehicles from ebay, think of it as Autotrader with a wider audience and more room for pictures and you won't go far wrong.

Go and see it before you bid unless you're absolutely sure that the dozens of photos aren't missing anything. I wouldn't rely on any comeback if the car isn't as described, and I wouldn't bid on a car I hadn't seen unless I was prepared to live with it.

One last thought, often the cars for £1500-£2000 aren't always much better than those for £800. Spend your money carefully!

As a case study, I saw a Mitsubishi Galant on ebay that seemed a perfect replacement for the family Passat. I spoke to the seller on the phone and he seemed pretty decent, I trekked the 50 miles to see the car and it looked ok, all documents were correct. I put a bid on, saved my final bid for the last few seconds and got the car for the right price. Paid a deposit with paypal, paid the rest in cash when I collected the car a couple of days later and it's been great so far. That was 2 years and 20,000 miles ago and the car was £1500

The classic car section on ebay.fr, ebay.it and ebay.de are particularly tempting!

Gareth
Thanks for replys. well if the picures are not the same I will not buy, most sellers want cash in hand because of paypal cast so I simple walk away if the cars crap. I will lose my deposit but even that could be got back if the adds misleading.

A gamble yes but some sellers seem pritty honest offering full S\H ect.

I wont buy a car unless I've seen it for sore.

"The classic car section on ebay.fr, ebay.it and ebay.de are particularly tempting!"

hmmm will check them out as I want a LHD.

Thanks chaps.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - Malcolm_L

I bought a Fiat Multipla off Ebay earlier this year on a 52 plate, they're not thick on the ground so I had to go 200 miles to pick it up - viewing beforehand wasn't an option but I did correspond by email on points that I wanted to be sure about.

The guy was decent, I did find that the aircon wasn't working although described as working but we haggled and arrived at a mutually agreeable discount.
I spent more time going over that car than any other car I've bought and I was still wondering if I'd done the right thing driving it back.

I put it in for an MOT pre-check when I got it home and other than a balljoint which was marginal it flew through, it's running fine and SWMBO loves it to bits.

I did a lot of research before I bought it (owners clubs/forums are useful for what to look for), which proved useful and I was able to satisfy myself that certain aspects were definitely ok.

You don't mention what you're trying to buy, this can make a big difference in your approach.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - Bill Payer
Probably obvious, but your not "buying from eBay" anymore than you buy from AutoTrader.

There's also no requirement to go through with the deal if the car is not exactly as described (it's a bit unclear with eBay whether there's *ever* any legal requirement to complete). It does bug me the way it often says the car is advertised elsewhere, so you could waste a lot of time on cars that don't make it to the end of the "auction".
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - normd2
Jon - have a look at www.splut.com/020/001-001-001-008.htm
Hi, Malcom.

Well I'm looking for a Volvo S40 OR V40 theres 2 adds where thay offer a guarantee as well for 6 months and that. = ("Independent Vehicle Inspection: Yes)" not sure if that means the cars been checked or you can check it?.

Thanks for replys all this is really helping me.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - local yokel
No point in getting a guarantee if you are taking to Sweden, surely?
"No point in getting a guarantee if you are taking to Sweden, surely? "

Yes your right its simple for piece of mind, if ther offering it for free then at least they must be pritty honest and trust the car wont blow up anytime soon.

Jon - have a look at www.splut.com/020/001-001-001-008.htm

Thanks for that hav'nt looked yet but will now.
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - Mapmaker
Don't put a deposit down on an eBay purchase. Any more than you would see something in Autotrader and send the guy a deposit cheque for #500 before going to look at the car.

Don't. You are asking to lose your cash!
Hell no, if the car looks good I will go see it. I will consider putting down a small amount of cash maybe 50 quid but thats all, 500 pound no way your asking for trouble.

But I guess some people do and get ripped.

Cheers .Jon
tinyurl.com/23pnma

hope that link works if anyone is still reading what do you think?. and whats a HPI.

Thanks jon

jon, can you use the TinyURL site to shrink links !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 08/12/2007 at 13:09

Buying from Ebay, your thought please - Dynamic Dave
whats a HPI.

www.hpicar.co.uk/what_is_an_hpi_car_check.html
Buying from Ebay, your thought please - local yokel
Most traders will take it off Ebay if you offer them a decent price, on the spot, and have cash to complete the deal. Call, them.