Boxer diesel - nick
I see from Subaru's publicity that the new boxer turbodiesel due next spring will have 150PS and 258lb ft of torque, with CO2 emissions below 150g/km. It's supposedly as smooth as the petrol engines, very compact and light.
Not being a lover of the evil fluid, how does that output compare with other manufacturers' diesels?
If it's as reliable as most other things Subaru make, the cars should sell well. It'll be in the Legacy and Outback in the Spring, next generation Forester in August and the Impreza towards the end of 2008. I wonder if there'll be a hot version?
Has anyone had a sneak preview anywhere?
Boxer diesel - Manatee
Roughly on par with Honda's 2.2 i-ctdi, slightly more powerful. The CO2/km will surely depend on what it's dragging around?

If it does 150 g/km in a Leagcy with 4WD, put me on the waiting list.
Boxer diesel - bathtub tom
>>It's supposedly as smooth as the petrol engines

Boxer engines are 'supposed' to be in perfect balance.
I'm sure number cruncher or someone of that ilk will explain better than me (all to do with acceleration of the piston, and angle of the crank to con-rod).
But try telling that to anyone who's driven an old beetle.
Boxer diesel - Ruperts Trooper
I don't know about "perfect" balance but having recently bought a Subaru with an H4 boxer engine it's smoother than any other four-cylinder engine I've ever driven, comparable with straight sixes like the Vauxhall Senator.
Boxer diesel - Garethj
Boxer engines are 'supposed' to be in perfect balance. I'm sure number cruncher or someone of that ilk will explain better than me (all to do with acceleration of the piston and angle of the crank to con-rod). But try telling that to anyone who's driven an old beetle.

Not quite, flat 4 engines have free moments of the 2nd order, however they're usually smoother than inline 4s which free forces of the 2nd order. Certainly a pound coin will stay on its edge on top of my VW flat 4 when it's at idle speed.

A straight 6, flat 6 and V12 are perfectly balanced however.

Gareth
(n_c's stand-in)
Boxer diesel - nick
The CO2/km will surely depend
on what it's dragging around?

list.

Indeed, I'd assume this would be in an Impreza.
Boxer diesel - pleiades
Noted on a Forester forum a reference to a possible 'WRX' diesel - tinyurl.com/yp8k8n
Also for those interested there is an arty back view only shot of the new Forester on the Subaru Japan website -
tinyurl.com/2ox24l

A lot of leaked photos appearing on forums and appears the car a bit bigger/taller overall and has lost that tall estate car look in favour of a generic small suv RAV4 look but apparently a bit lighter - some UK Forester owners who were invited a few months ago to view a presumably pre-production model were said to be less than impressed - time will tell
Boxer diesel - Ruperts Trooper
The boxer diesel will be in Legacy and Outback from January 2008 and new Forester from Autumn 2008, but like most things from IM it may change. I guess it'll go in the Impreza eventually.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 07/12/2007 at 10:44

Boxer diesel - bathtub tom
>>Not quite, flat 4 engines have free moments of the 2nd order

I stand corrected, although I don't really understand what "free moments of the 2nd order" means. Please don't try to explain, I never understood the maths of Lanchester shafts.