1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Lounge Lizard
My 1992 Volvo 240SE has just failed it's MOT on one point only:

"Front passenger seat cannot be secured in the upright position. [6.2.3]"

What can I do about this?

(1) Could the front seat be repaired, if so how?

(2) I've tried very hard to get a scrap one to replace it; I've phoned about 15 dealers but none of them have a Volvo 240SE. I understand that it has to be a 240 because they have a unique seat size.

(3) If I took the car elsewhere for an MOT test then is there a reasonable chance of it passing? The seat doesn't look too bad to me, in fact, it hadn't occurred to me that there was even this problem (or that it could fail MOT on this).

(4) Could I remove the front seat for the MOT test?

Any other suggestions?

(I'm hoping to get new car soon but would like to keep this car on the road for a few more weeks and then sell it with an MOT (for a few hundred quid).

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/12/2007 at 21:33

Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Armitage Shanks {p}
These people are on the A1 Northbound, just where the A 428(?) turns off to go to Cambridge. This is near to St Neots.

143-149 Great North Road,
Wyboston,
Bedford,
Bedfordshire
MK44 3AH

Tel: 01480 212291

50+ Volvos parked there all the time
Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - defender
sticking latch perhaps ?or if its the friction lock type check its not slackened off at the back
I seem to remember both types of lock are bolted to the seat frame and can be changed but not too sure as it was a long time ago

Edited by defender on 05/12/2007 at 21:47

1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Steptoe
If you took it somewhere else the tester will know what it had previously failed on; under the previous non-computerised system this might have worked.

Presumably the failure is down to the reclining mechanisn not latching, it would be worth inspecting it as it just *might* be that it needs lubricating. If it is worn can you weld it up in the normal position?

If you want a secondhand one why not try an on-line breaker (Google it), they will phone you if they have one.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Screwloose

You might be able to get away with just taking it out. What's not fitted can't be tested.
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Cliff Pope
The seat comes out quite easily - look at how the base fits to the runner. Then turn it upside down and look inside. You can peel back the cover if it helps access.
I can't remember the precise mechanism, but I am sure you could contrive some kind of plate bolted on to fix it in a permanent position, or perhaps spot what has gone wrong and mend it.
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - normd2
a couple of years ago a colleague had just this very problem - the solution? He put the spare wheel behind the seat thus propping it up; it passed!
I'd still suspect one from a breakers would be a better solution. Have you tried www.247spares.co.uk ?

Edited by normd2 on 06/12/2007 at 10:18

1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Falkirk Bairn
Fix the back of the chair in a comfortable position.

Then get somebody with a welding torch and make it a fixed back seat.
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - injection doc
Take the seat out. thats all you need to do " what ain't fitted cant be tested. You can even remove a windscreen & wipers for an MOT. Going to an extreme you can even remove all the lights.
Doc
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Mapmaker
I had this once on an ancient transit. From what I recall we drilled a hole through seat and frame, and pushed a bolt through it. Even put a nut on the bolt if you're feeling extravagant... Probably easier than taking it out.
Thanks for the range of suggestions!

I must admit I'd thought that the problem was that the seat was a bit 'floppy' (maybe an internal strut was broken, or something like that); and there was too much 'play' in the seat bending backwards.

However I'm now going to remove the seat (for the second time), and investigate the suggestions on this thread.

I'm afraid I've just lost me job (sob) so I'm probably going to be sticking with the car a bit longer. So the help is even more appreciated!
I've just been back to the MOT tester to confirm exactly why it failed.

He said that it failed NOT because the seat would 'tip back' unrestrained; but rather that it was too 'bendable / twistable'. So fixing the seat into a fixed recline-position won't solve the problem.

I am going to try some more spares places; including the suggestions here (though I'm in Cheshire so it has to be reasonably local to here).

Thanks for the suggestions though!
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - injection doc
Take the seat out for the MOT. All they will do is advise that no seat fitted during test! Tell them its getting repaired. If they argue ask them for an appeal form.
Doc
1992 Failed MOT on Front Seat (only!) - Pugugly {P}
Sorry to hear about the job.
Cheers, PU. I'm a bit Pink Fluffy Diced off about it. Ah well. No XK8 for me cos I is in the norty corner now, innit?

Better news on the Volvo MOT though. I googled and ended up at AutoTrader (online). I filled the on-line form in with car & part details and, Hay Presto, up flashed Angel Autosalvage of Dorset who had 2 in stock and a mail-order service. Rang them up, they were very helpful (Thank you) and I paid £30 for salvaged car seat plus £15 delivery.

Just taken car for MOT (at same place) and it's passed. So it's cost me just £45 to get a 15 years old and 151000 mile Volvo through MOT. I'd say that's pretty good.

Here's a link to Angel AutoParts; I'd like to give them a free plug:

www.angel-autoparts.co.uk/

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2007 at 16:56