Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - bacon&eggs
Evening to all in the BR (says hello back)

Yesterday I was having a chat with a friend who owns a Diesel engined Leyland/DAF 400 and we got talking about running Diesel engines on SVO & WVO. My friend was adamant that you cant run a DERV unit on either unless you have a card that permits you to do so. And my argument was that as long as you

A) Do not use more than 2500 litres per year then you have nothing to worry about
and
B) Keep a accurate record as to how much goes into the tank along with the mileage that goes with SVO/WVO useage.

then you can run a Diesel engine on both as long as you keep to A & B above. Anyone know for sure? The government website is about as much use as a chocolate teapot on the matter

Many thanks - B&E
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - local yokel
www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

"Those who declare that they expect to produce less [than 2500 litres] will be deregistered and will not receive any further returns. Exempt producers are also required to keep simple production records (date of production and quantity produced, in litres) on an ongoing basis, and retain these for six years. Production levels should be checked at the end of each month."
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - Screwloose

SVO and WVO must be processed into biodiesel to qualify for the 2500ltr/yr exemption.
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - local yokel
Read tinyurl.com/yv2osv - Post 1 Jul 07 SVO is now classed as a substitute fuel, and is classed with biodiesel for the purposes of the 2500 litre exemption. Just keep records to show you use less than 2500/yr. Since the allowance is I think personal, it'd be OK to use more in one vehicle, so long as it could be shown who had used what.
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - Hamsafar
Yes, SVO is perfectly acceptable under the new exemption, but there was never any card to permit you to use it even when it wasn't.
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - Screwloose

That's not what HMRC say on their website.

Can I use Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) or Used Cooking Oil (UCO) to produce Biodiesel?

Yes. However, the fuel that is produced from SVO and UCO must meet all the conditions of the fiscal specification before qualifying for the lower rate of duty.
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - pendulum
Can I use Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) or Used Cooking Oil (UCO) to produce Biodiesel?
Yes. However the fuel that is produced from SVO and UCO must meet all the
conditions of the fiscal specification before qualifying for the lower rate of duty.

Some say that veg oil can meet the fiscal definition without modification e.g. a couple of guys claimed that Pura brand veg oil meets the specification after carrying out their own tests.

There is some confusion and this has lead to some people entering correspondence with HMC&E and the responses back do seem to indicate that veg oil is regarded as bio for tax purposes.
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - bchez
whats svo wvo
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - mss1tw
whats svo wvo

SVO - Straight vegetable oil

WVO - Waste vegetable oil
can anyone help me theres so much jargen about veg deisel and mixes my head is spinning so here goes
1 i have a toyota lucida 1995 can i use bio fuel
2 can i just mix with deisel or do i have to do all that processing and filtering
3 what problems could occur
i get about 25 miles per gallon and at 107p per litre im being costed off the rosd but i have a family of four kids and the car is what i could afford so if anyone knows please help thanks bchez
its a 1995 model does it make a differance
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - Mr.Tee43
I have recently started to use veg oil, bought from my local Lidl store. I use it in my Toyota Hiace 1998 vintage, at a ratio of about 60/40 diesel/veg oil.

It seems to run just fine and brings the average price per litre down to an acceptable cost.

No doubt, the naysayers will be along shortly to harp on about how the lost tax will mean a hospital or something will go short of funding etc etc.

One word to that

Olympics !
Running Diesel engines on SVO/WVO - DH73
I have a '97 Lucida, it runs quite happily on 50/50 SVO and Derv in the warmer months without any mods. You could probably use it all year, but I'm using straight Derv at the moment due to starting work early in the morning - I don't want to risk fuel waxing problems. Veg oil isn't that cheap any more; although it is cheaper than Derv.