Cyclists in the dark. - Pendlebury
I have been suprised by the number of cyclists on the road in the dark early evening that have no lights. I saw one tonight although he was wearing a hi-vis vest. Best bit was that when I looked at him in more detail it was a police man !!
Cyclists in the dark. - David Horn
If I don't get flashed by a car for dazzling them with my lights I consider it a ride wasted.
Cyclists in the dark. - Lud
Tell me about it. Any London journey in the evening will take you past, but hopefully not over, half a dozen invisible cyclists.

Yesterday I saw a nipper of about twelve run a red light and get away with it thanks to the vigilance of the adult traffic. Glad the little so-and-so survived of course. But I did long for someone to whip him off his bike and clout him about the ears in a traditional manner after lowering his pixie hood.
Cyclists in the dark. - Ruperts Trooper
I overtook a cyclist tonight, whose front light was as bright as an HID headlamp - I believe HIDs use less energy than filament bulbs so that might be an excellent use of technology.
Cyclists in the dark. - David Horn
I overtook a cyclist tonight whose front light was as bright as an HID headlamp
- I believe HIDs use less energy than filament bulbs so that might be an
excellent use of technology.

Indeed, that's exactly what I use.
Cyclists in the dark. - BobbyG
David, can you recommend me a good front light for my bike but max £30? Preferably out of Halfords for ease of buying?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Cyclists in the dark. - MVP
David can you recommend me a good front light for my bike but max £30?
Preferably out of Halfords for ease of buying?

I use very bright led lights from Wilkinsons, they're only a few pounds each and normal AAA batteries last for ages.

MVP

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/12/2007 at 11:30

Cyclists in the dark. - JH
it's been the norm for years. As an ex cyclist maybe I notice it more. The small ones stick in the tyre treads. :-)

JH
Cyclists in the dark. - Alby Back
Yup - Lots of "stealth" cyclists hereabouts too. It's bad enough getting squashed flies off the paintwork in the Summer, but can you imagine the mess one of those would make ? Don't think Halfords do a "corpse shifter" sponge do they ? Yet another example of the continued dilution of common sense gene. ( IMHO )
Cyclists in the dark. - rustbucket
One dark wet morning I nearly hit an ethnic minority with a young lad on his xbar cross in front of me at the lights (Iwas on green-he went on red).He was all in black - no lights only the whites of his eyes gave his position away.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Cyclists in the dark. - Bromptonaut
Thanks guys; reminded me my rearlight was getting dim. New batteries and it's as good as new. The LED Cateye Opticube up front is good enough for light duty offroad use, never ming being seen in traffic.

While some of the unlit are out and out Darwin candidates I suspect the majority regard themselves as pedalling pedestrians rather than vehicle users. If they can see and be seen when walking what else do they need when ridingg?

Far too many of London's new post 7/7 cyclists fall into this category.
Cyclists in the dark. - sir_hiss
And if you squash em then its your fault and not the cyclists. Oh and then you have to live with having squashed one for the rest of your life....
Cyclists in the dark. - FotheringtonThomas
Stupid cyclists who delight in dazzling other road users deserve all they get.
Cyclists in the dark. - milkyjoe
ive had a cyclist land on the bonnet of my montego many moons ago, it was night he had no lights and he tried to beat me going across a pelican crossing at night , i wasnt even speeding but i didnt see him until he was airborn, i had just had a new bonnet fitted aswell from a previous "shunt" luckily no DNA was spilt and he admitted he was in the wrong , his bike was all mangled up! oh the dents in my bonnet didnt buff out , what can you do?
AFAIK, the regulations still state that flashing lights are either not allowed on a bike or are only allowed if there is a permanent light fitted as well?

Any cyclits I see on my daily journey only use the flashing lights but I have to say that they are very very effective and I think are much more noticeable than a permanent lit light on its own.

Indeed the latest craze in my neck of the woods seems to be flashing red lights on back of bike, on rucksack/sleeve and also on rear of helmet!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Cyclists in the dark. - drivewell
Suitable lights?

Higher value lights from Cateye do the business (EL530 c. 36GBP).

.>> AFAIK the regulations still state that flashing lights are either not allowed on a bike
or are only allowed if there is a permanent light fitted as well?

They also have a new rear light (TL1100) which comprises two rows of LEDs. Top one can be static, lower one flashing, so cyclist can be fully compliant with the law, and also be seen well. (Get EL530 and TL1100 in a package for 48GBP) I have them on my commuting bike, and they are excellent. I also wear an Altura NightVision jacket, which gives exceptional visibility. - I might still get knocked off my bike, but at least the driver couldn't say 'sorry, didn't see you!'

But I agree, as a 15,000 mile a year driver, and at one time a 100 mile a week cyclist (much less now), the biggest annoyance was kids and adults with no lights, and clothing that made no effort toward visibility.Another annoyance where I live, however, is adult cyclists using pavements. I remember as a 12 year old kid getting a lecture from the local bobby for cycling on the pavement. I see it around here (South Ayrshire) every day.

And one final rant (maybe I should be on a cyclist's forum). I'm increasingly finding traffic lights that aren't triggered by a cyclist - result - you can stand there for ever, waiting for a car to come along and cause the lights to change
Cyclists in the dark. - ijws15
Saw two cyclists walk out of Pavilions in Birmingham on Saturday and ride off across the pedestrian area!

CSOs!

Edited by ijws15 on 05/12/2007 at 12:25

Cyclists in the dark. - smallfish
I use a Cateye EL300 on the front, it's excellent for being seen if you commute in an urban area - but doesn't illuminate the road much so it's not the best if you are out in the wilds. I also have the TL1100 on the back, it is as bright as any car light.

Flashing rear lights have been legal for a couple of years - but a lot (most even) of bike lights don't have British Standard type approval even though they exceed the required spec, because the process of obtaining BS approval is so long winded and expensive for what is a relatively small market. I have never heard of a cyclist being prosecuted for having non BS lights but i guess it's technically possible.
Cyclists in the dark. - helicopter
I spent nearly two hours in solid traffic getting eight miles to work this morning because the dual carriageway was closed (in the other direction) as police investigators examined an accident scene between ( as per radio reports ) a lorry and a bicycle.The lorry was still there as I passed , investigators doing their job , no sign of a bike.

As I travelled home last night in filthy weather I passed a cyclist with quite bright led reds at the rear and a Hi Vis vest on but he was still difficult to pick out and I actually thought to myself at that time how dangerous it was for him moving slowly amongst the relatively fast moving traffic.

I am not going to speculate what happened today but I feel sure on a wild wet , very windy and dark A road dual carriageway around 7 am this December morning , a bicycle rider would have been very vulnerable indeed even with the best lights available..so any cyclist who does not invest in the best equipment is acting very stupidly.

I have not heard whether the cyclist survived this morning but I fear the worst.
Cyclists in the dark. - helicopter
Regret to say.....from Mid Sussex Times website
'
CRAWLEY cyclist who collided with a lorry earlier this morning has died from his injuries.
The man, who is believed to be in his mid twenties, was rushed to East Surrey Hospital in the early hours, but died a short time ago.

It's thought the cyclist collided with a lorry on the A264 Crawley Road at Faygate, around 5.15am this morning.

Emergency services closed the west-bound road until 10.28am while police conducted their investigations.

Traffic has now returned to normal.

Police are appealing for any witnesses to the collision to contact them on 0845 60 70 999 quoting Op Barkby. '

RIP
I think with cyclists, like any other road users there are good and bad ones.

I see alot of dangerous mororcyclists and think to myself if they continue riding like that they won't last long and, to a certain extent, they "deserve" what will ultimately come their way.

During the summer there I cycled to work quite a bit and found that from my bed to my desk was quicker by bike than it was by car (12 miles). I also found that I had to be a bit "brave" at times. Sometimes you need to assume to a certain degree that other drivers can see you and are aware of you. If you had to check every time you moved slightly to avoid a pothole, some glass etc then you wouldn't get far.

Regarding traffic lights, if they are at red I won't race through them. However if I am in a queue of stationary traffic at the lights, especially if I am near the front, I will bump onto the pavement and go that way. Yes it gets me there quicker but also it helps the drivers as, for some reason although they are willing to drive past a cyclist at 30mph, if you are setting of from stationery there seems to be a reluctance for drivers to overtake, especially if it is a lorry or bus.

Also on my route there is something like 15 sets of traffic lights and it is in no one's interest for me to be fighting with the traffic at each set. If I can get onto the pavement and then back onto the road then thats what I do.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS