Registration Checker - Muggy
I seem to have lost the link where you could put a registration number and car type into a website and it tells you if it's still registered or not; can anyone help please? I can't even remember who runs the website in question!
Registration Checker - Saltrampen
DVLA site tells you if the car is currently taxed if you know the reg and make.
Just looked round that site; I can't find that bit of it?
Registration Checker - maz64
IIRC the RAC used to do this for free, but they charge now.
Registration Checker - maz64
This tells you if it's insured:
www.askmid.com/
Registration Checker - Falkirk Bairn
Sorry for the semantics - tells you if the car is on the MID Database.

Car may be insured (say mother & father insured) but the driver (son/daughter)
of the car may not be!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/12/2007 at 19:42

Registration Checker - Dynamic Dave
www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Click on "Vehicle Enquiry" in the LH menu.

Autotrader also does a basic search that tells you how many keepers, Date of registration, and Last keeper change.

vpc.autotrader.co.uk/consumervpc/check-vrm-form.ac...n
Thank you DD; I was checking my old Deputy Head's car from school - we were arguing about it's colour on the old pupils' forum.

Can we assume that the "date of liability" is when the final tax on it expired?

And does the fact that it's still on the database mean it hasn't been scrapped but is sitting around on a SORN somewhere?

Green Jaguar PPH 406 L - in case anyone here knows of it?
Can we assume that the "date of liability" is when the final tax on it expired?

That's what it looks like to me. However, I wrote a car off (Cat-D) back in July, and had taxed it just days before. I then surrendered the tax disc for a refund of the remaining months left on it. Checking the DVLA site, it still shows Date of Liability as 01 07 2008. I'm pretty sure it's not been re-taxed as it's only recently been repaired by someone who bought it from my insurance company and is currently up for sale on the auto trader website. Looks like the info, re tax, hasn't yet been updated on the DVLA website.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/12/2007 at 12:35

Thank you again DD; now one question remains - is there any way of finding out if the car actually still exists or has been scrapped? [ Sold for scrap is not the same as actually being scrapped is it? ]

Presumably if it had been reported as scrapped the DVLA website would not find the vehicle any more? [ As happens with, for example, Hillman HGJ 192 ]
Checking the DVLA site it still shows Date of Liability as 01 07 2008.

Thinking about it, maybe this is referring to when the SORN date is up, as I also declared SORN upon being notified by my insurer that they weren't going to repair the car.
Registration Checker - Geordie1
The DVLA 'site requires the reg. no and the make of the vehicle in order to obtain a result.

The RAC 'site at www.rac.co.uk only requires the reg. no. and will give you the make and model; year of manufacture and engine size...all at no cost!...just click on to 'vehicle checks' then access 'car data' in the left side column.
DD, no - I think it's definitely tax expiry; my own has a liability date showing as one day after my tax is due next year.

Geordie, just tried that but it's insisting on asking £5 for it?
Registration Checker - ForumNeedsModerating
What with, the DVLA car check, the Autotrader check, ASKMID & the Vauxhall (Glass's) value check (all free!) - there's no excuse for anyone not being able to make a quick initial check (which can be confidence inspiring or confirm a dodgy feeling about a proposed vehicle purchase) prior to any contact - in addition of course, to the more vigourous checks when actually committing to purchase. Marvellous innit this interweb thingy!
Registration Checker - Geordie1
Muggy...

Re the RAC website...you only opt to pay the requested £5 charge if you require info relevant to the history of the vehicle reg. no. that you have input i.e. whether it is stolen; an insurance write-off; subject to outstanding finance or has had a previous reg. no. allocated etc.

If you merely require the basic info re make & model, year of manufacture and engine size it is absolutely free of charge and entirely without any obligation or data protection issues.

Edited by Geordie1 on 04/12/2007 at 17:47

DD no - I think it's definitely tax expiry;

I thinks it's both. Surely the DVLA wouldn't take nearly 5 months to update the info. Sorn declaration is yearly, and as I declared Sorn in July this year, it makes sense that the liability date is July 08. I'll check back on the DVLA website in a month or so's time once some unsuspecting buyer (unless they do a HPI check or the seller is honest and upfront about the repairs) has bought my old car and see if the declaration date has changed.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/12/2007 at 19:13

Registration Checker - RichardW
If it's SORN then the date of liability will show up as the SORN expiry date and it will say something like "SORN not due" in the status box (just checked my project car which is SORN). If it has not been taxed since the SORN rules came in (can't remember when) then it may say unlicenced - but I just checked my project motorbike, and that says date of liability 12/12/2008 and Licence not due. That hasn't been taxed since 1953....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Registration Checker - Doc
Have a look at Kwik fit:

tinyurl.com/yr8c4y

In other words, we don't actually know what's happened to his old Jag then, nor do we have any way of finding out for sure?
Registration Checker - james86
The best site I know of for this is the RAC

www.rac.co.uk

Click "vehicle check" on the right hand side then put the reg no in the "single check - buy now" box. It will confirm vehicle details before asking you to pay; has make, model, engine size, and year.
This is what I got off the DVLA one; rather more detail than the RAC one:

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for PPH 406L are:

Date of Liability 01 05 1991
Date of First Registration 10 04 1973
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 4235CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £99.00
12 Months Rate £180.00

What we're interested in now is if we can establish whether the vehicle still exists somewhere laid up or if it's been scrapped [ although surely this would be shown in "status"? ].

Our old Deputy head was quite pleased that we could locate all this detail after so long!
Registration Checker - normd2
the unlicensed status shows it was taken off the road (probably) before the SORN declaration became a requirement. It's either rusting away somewhere or possibly part of a (very) long term restoration project.
It's an XJ-S so our hypothesis is it's either being used as a source of spares or, as you say, a restoration project.

I don't suppose there's any way of finding out?