P reg - oil and plug recommendations - brise
Just bought P reg Almera 80000 miles.Mainly short 10 mile runs aroun Glasgow so quite mild winters.Is Chevron supreme 10-40 mineral oil OK?If not;alternatives?
Secondly;Denso K16PR-U (3191) plugs OK?Took out NGKRBKR6E but Eurocarparts said should be 5E equivalent for GA14 engine.Comments?
Lastly;the car jack and wheel brace not under the spare wheel-kept where?Car did'nt have driver's manual.
Thanks
Brise

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/12/2007 at 13:38

oil and plugs - bathtub tom
Try this site:
www.almeraownersclub.com/newforums/index.php
P reg - oil and plug reommendations - GregSwain
I own an Almera with the GA14 engine as well.....

Stick to semi-synth oil, but 10w40 is the right viscosity. Mineral oil isn't any good for modern engines. Stick to NGK plugs as well, Denso plugs simply aren't as good. The correct plug is the BKR6E, and they were only about £2 each from my local motor-factor.

The jack is in a little compartment under the hatchback opening, on the r/h side. Can't remember where exactly the wheelbrace and jack handle live, but it's somewhere near the spare wheel itself - IIRC possibly on the underside of the boot "floor"?
P reg - oil and plug reommendations - brise
Greg
Thanks for comments.Bit narked about the plugs.Will phone Europarts today-have fitted the Denso already so will use them for now but concerned that the correct equivalent been given as the guy said 5E equivalent.Would they have had semi-synthetic in 1996-97 when car came out?Did'nt take much notice of oil in those days.!
Noticed that the heater blower adjuster comes on at full only but noticed other blog indicating that it is a? rheostat? behind glove compartment which goes on them-quite common apparently-cost £37 approx.No timing chain rattle!
Any other common problems you have come across with them?
Thanks
John
P reg - oil and plug reommendations - McP
John,

With regards to the heater speed. It is a very common fault on the Primera and Micra.
I have replaced 3 on our cars and refused to replace it on the Mrs new Micra.
I posted this fix on the Micra Forum. Still working after a couple of months.

www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=19011

You will find it in the passenger footwell. Remove the 4? way plug and 2 screws. It looks like a credit card.
P reg - oil and plug reommendations - GregSwain
Nissan state a minimum "SJ" spec oil must be used, which was the norm back when the Almera was launched. Personally I buy the cheapest "SL" spec semi-synth (£10+VAT for 5 litres). I'd rather use semi-synth with a timing chain, but I doubt mineral will kill it - my old Sunny had a GA14 engine (with 12 valves and SOHC) which only required mineral oil, although it usually got semi-synth. The GA engines are strong, timing chains only rattle if someone's neglected the oil-changes. The bodywork usually falls apart long before the engine does.

The heater resistor pack problem is common on some Nissans, haven't experienced it personally but it's fairly cheap to fix, and an easy DIY job.

Denso plugs are alright, just not as good as the NGKs - I found after a year with the Denso plugs that they'd completely had it, and the car wasn't running quite right. NGKs are OE for Nissan, and often very similar price to Denso. Buy your parts from a good backstreet motor-factor - you'll find that the good ones usually have vans out and about delivering to the trade, and often employ very knowledgeable people behind the counter (unlike some of the chain stores).