1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - TimOrridge
HI all

Strange one this, driving along yeaterday at 40 in 5th and suddenly lost power. Pressing go go pedal and nothing just winding down to idle. When stopped pressing accel produced no mor ethe 500 revs even doen to floor. Checked cable and fine, ticked over fine and no unsusal noises. Limped on to side street at idle and sudenly picked up again. Did same thing 1 mile down road and picked up again soon after. Car has been driveing superb up to yesterday.

My first thing to think of was the cat as it has started rattling really bad lately and could have got blocked up intermittintly or some thing electrical (plugs leads?)

or the fuel (qtr tank) that was in tank was dodgy. I put 30 quid of fresh fuel in and it seems ok now after a 100 mile round trip today, however it still has a slight bit of hesitation espically under load, but iss still more than driveable.

Im no mechanic so any ideas to what that was would be great

Car has 142000 miles on clock

Ta

Edited by Webmaster on 01/12/2007 at 19:28

1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - Screwloose
Tim

So there's a lump of the brick rolling around loose in the cat housing and you're looking for a reason for loss of power....?

QED mean anything to you?
Screwloose,

This post will work better if i ask the questions and you provide the answers. BTW QED means nothing to me. I regard you as an expert so will treat you like one.

Right, I mentioned Cat as a possible suggestion as it was rattling recently, The other suggestion was the fuel that was in the tank at the time.

At present the car when cold holds back slightly when accelatating, its not like a misifire. It picks up after about 2-2500 rpm. The problem dissapears all together after the temp needle gets over about 60C. After 5 mins of driving the car performs as expected, fine.

Fuel consumption hovers around 25-30mpg so I have no concerns there
1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - Screwloose
Tim

Your cat is rattling. If it's not a loose sheild, then this indicates that the ceramic monolith inside it has broken into pieces.

These pieces will be rolled around and round off. If one of them is blown against the exit pipe of the housing, it will block it temporarily.

That fits the symptom described in your original post perfectly.

The slight loss of power when cold could be a different problem; but get the cat sorted first and see.
1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - Roger Jones
Only because this looks like the same engine as was in my 100E, I suggest trying the VAG injector cleaner to see if it has any impact on cool-running problems. It cured mine instantly. The part no. is G 001 700 03 -- you'll have to ask for it at a main dealer, as they all seem to be ignorant of it.
1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - Pugugly {P}
Roger for one minute I thought you meant a Ford 100E - been watching too much Back to the Future !
1993 2.0E - Unusual problem, loosing power. - jc2
QED-Quod erat demonstrandum-"Which was to be shown"!!!
Right then, update time

Manily for the benefit of screwloose. I have been running car since post logged (dec) and has been fairly ok. Reason not got sorted yet is that the cat which was bought from online motor factor last june need old cat back to send to mrfs to determine cause of failure. That leaves me with out car so I have secured a 2 week work for home period. Will update when get back. Took cat off and posting tomorrow morning.

Do you think they will throw up an excuse not to replace considering it is backed by a 2yr warranly and failed witin 4 mth of being fitted?
Well it seems that it is fixed now without sending off. My mechanic noted that when proceding to take off the bolts joimg cat to down pipe they were not tight enough.

It is what looks like two triangular 3 bolted faces and sandwiched in between them is small metal collar. He said the force of the gasses was making the collar jump about inside the faces and it wasnt a loose monolith causing the rattling noise. Anyway he tightened them up and off I went. All working!

Good result really as it saves on me having no car, bad news is telling boss that i have to come in to work now!

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated