Owners, any pointers please - enough is enough
Looking to buy a 55 ish plate X5 for the Mrs, 3.0 diesel.

Anyone have anything to say including do's, dont's etc.

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:26

Owners, any pointers please - Bill Payer
Is this your contribution to countering "the spiralling cost of fuel"?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:26

well it would be a diesel so yes of course!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:27

Owners, any pointers please - daveyjp
My only dos and don't is. "Don't do it".

Get a Q7 you know it makes sense.

daveyjp, you are right but they are still 30k plus

Owners, any pointers please - MichaelR
Unless you need to:

a) Go off road

or

b) Look like a loaded builder

Then a 5 Series Touring is better in every way.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:28

Owners, any pointers please - rtj70
He might look like a loaded builder but the X5 is for his wife. So hope she doesn't look like a builder ;-)

Agree that an estate makes more sense. A diesel 530d estate might be better value, cheaper to run and more practical. And more fun. Unless the X5 is meant as some sort of wealth/fashion statement.

If he does need a real 4x4 off-roader then maybe he should look at the VW Tuareg (spelling) which seem good value second hand. And if he needs a 4x4 and not an off-roader consider Audi A6 or a VW Phaeton?

Owners, any pointers please - ijws15
Get her a Corsa - it won't use as much fuel!

Then you don't need to worry so much about fuel prices!

Or are you looking for a status symbol which will re-enforce this governments view that fuel prices are still too low?

Owners, any pointers please - MichaelR
Unless the X5 is meant as
some sort of wealth/fashion statement.

I think this is pretty much the only reason people buy them - the equivilent 5 Series Touring is quicker yet more economical, more spacious yet easier to park, better yet cheaper and doesn't make you look like as much (It's still a BMW) of a tool.

Arguably the 5 is probably safer as well - lower centre of gravity, more predictable handling in an emergency, and suchlike.

Yet round here there are 4-5 X5's and we own the only two 5's...

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:29

Owners, any pointers please - rtj70
Original X5 was compromised. Am I right in thinking the new X5 has seating for 7 as an option. Again if you don't need a real off-roader why bother. And in mainland Europe you can get a 4 wheel drive 5 series anyway.

Choice between an X5, Touareg or a Cayenne... I'd get the Mondeo TDCi.... I'll get my coat ;-) Seriously I'd get the VW. But I don't need a 4x4 so drive a normal car...

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 17:29

Owners, any pointers please - Brian Tryzers
Anyone have anything to say including do's, dont's etc...

Yes. Don't use it to approach a roundabout in the right-hand lane of two, just because that queue's moving a bit faster, then try to turn left over the bonnet of the Volvo saloon next to you. Not that any X5 driver would ever do that, of course. I must have imagined the whole thing. };---)
Owners, any pointers please - local yokel
Living only 20 minutes from Henley (on Thames, not in Arden) I see plenty of X5s driven by ladies. They seem only to be used to go from the mock-Jacobean house behind electric gates to the private prep school (the sort where the boys wear caps each day) and then to the gym or possibly Waitrose. The ladies then go to lunch, at a friend's house (all bought in, of course, not that they eat much more than a lettuce leaf and 1" square of smoked organic salmon) and then back to the prep school to pick up Rupert and his sister Arabella.

One thing to remember is that ladies can only drive an X5 if they have extremely expensively coiffed, but highly fake, blonde hair. I've not seen one yet who was an ounce over 8st.
Owners, any pointers please - Chips with everything
Thanks "local yokel" - you've brought a hearty laugh to me after a tough day at work.

Apologies to the OP - I can't comment on an X5 but would agree in principle that a 5 "estate" would be the better option.
Owners, any pointers please - mss1tw
You must get a number plate prefixed 'X5'.

Without this very important accessory, people might not realise just how much cash you have.

;-) ;-) ;-)
Owners, any pointers please - gavins
Hi, new to the forum, just wanted to say i have surprised myself by buying an X5. i would have bought 5 series tourer however have 3 kids and the middle seat is not exactly comfortable and did not want an MPV. I traded in an e class estate for the same reason, kids always arguing over who sat in the middle.
Would be interested in opinon on the car options out there just now for 'larger' family that does not result in driving something resembling a van

I have to admit it is a very comfortable drive and have no desire for outright performance from my car
Owners, any pointers please - gordonbennet
Well enough is enough, you've had some response.

From reading up on these for an aquaintance it would seem that can have their share of probs like most others.

Seems the drive shaft boots can split frequently, and do check the 'sealed for life' gearbox has had an oil change or get it done depending on mileage as they seem to die at just above 100k at a cost in excess of 3K.

BMWland has some good information (apologies if that needs editing).

Dont forget this is backdated band G from next April.

Is your good lady prepared for the stick as already shown here, doesn't worry SWMBO (hilux) but it could be a point to consider (sorry that sounds patronising, it isn't meant that way at all).

If you decide to go ahead, good luck, nice to see someone not following the herd.

Good post local yokel.
Owners, any pointers please - Pendlebury
as you say - enough is enough - please no more X5s on the road.
One of the most pointless cars designed.
Get a 535d estate instead.
Owners, any pointers please - Hamsafar
We need a 4x4, because the terrible roads and humps are damaging our ordinary cars with a depressing frequency. The X5s look rather dated and poor value compared to Range Rover Sport, Discovery 3 or even VW Touareg.
Owners, any pointers please - boxsterboy
Really?? The point with speed humps is that you are supposed to slow down for them. Do this and you shouldn't damage your car. I have driven over dozens every day for over 10 years and am not aware of any damage to any of my cars as a result.

Yes, they are a pain in the neck (and other parts of the body) but they are sometimes the only way to make people slow down.
Owners, any pointers please - mike hannon
>You must get a number plate prefixed 'X5'.
Without this very important accessory, people might not realise just how much cash you have.<

Or how much credit? ;-)
Owners, any pointers please - isisalar
E I E As per your post. Don't
Owners, any pointers please - RaineMan

A former neighbour got a 4x4 for the school run, pose value and to counter traffic calming. It was massively expensive to run including major front suspension repairs when she found out that even 4x4s have a limit to the abuse they can take!
Owners, any pointers please - akr
Won't everyone think your good lady is a footballer's wife?
Owners, any pointers please - jbif
Since the OP asked the question nearly 4 months ago, the question to him now is : Did you buy an X5 for SWMBO?

Owners, any pointers please - carbike
Ignore the greens on this site and buy what you will enjoy - life is full of mean little killjoys - I expect it as goog as most of the cars of this type, but I would go for the Disco - they are all so easy to get in and out of.