cheapest to run / insure but Strong - tiredeyes
Like the subject.
If you were doing 30K miles a year, a 6 footer and wanted a good comfy ride.
but also very cheap to insure / run / fuel.
I know you are all gona scream mondeo at me or mazda6 or focus.
I want a good choice, up to £10K.
I too would love a mitsibushi animal d4d or nissan 4x4 thing.
but what are they like driving at 30-40K miles a year?
Will I get bored quick?
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - ForumNeedsModerating
Not sure the Mitsu Animal or Nissan would deliver long distance comfort/comfy ride thingy
but good choice (since I had one - but Elegance trim) is the Skoda Superb Comfort - bags of room fore & aft, cruise control, CD multi, VAG 1.9 PD, grp 10 insurance, 50mpg , well built , well in budget on 54,55 (maybe even high mile 06) plate.
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - Group B
A contractor I know has a Misubishi Animal, does high mileage in it and he says its thirsty. Cant remember what exactly but I think he said typically 25mpg; 30mpg tops??

Was also going to suggest a saloon car with a VAG PD engine in it, Passat, Octavia, Superb, A4..

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 29/11/2007 at 13:14

cheapest to run / insure but Strong - local yokel
I can't see a 4x4 making sense for that mileage - fuel consumption and comfort would be an issue. I think you've got to look on the boring shelf.
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - Gromit {P}
Octavia 1.9 TDi - provided you don't intend carrying a passenger behind you! If you want more cabin space, go for the Superb.

For the Superb, the 100bhp 1.9 was commented on favourably here recently, provided you don't intend using it as a towcar, and is less in demand than the 130bhp variant.
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - christo
If you want cheap to run don't buy a 4x4. I'm running a company Nissan Navara 4x4 and it's an expensive beast to run and I'm glad I'm not paying the fuel bill! I've done 11k since it was new in June. From new it was managing 26mpg average and now it is just about averaging 29mpg. Take it on a long journey and the mpg comes down drastically. Other things to note that it's noisy, handles awful and the brakes on my 1977 MBG Roadster are much better!!

As advised, I'd go for a VAG diesel and make according to your budget. I must say that the Skoda range of cars are excellent and very good value for money.
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - doctorchris
As well as fuel you would be having a 4x4 serviced 2 or 3 times a year, very expensive at a garage, not cheap even DIY as they have big sumps and parts are expensive.
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - DP
For low running costs, a Golf 2.0 GT TDI makes a strong case for itself.

Meets your comfy criteria, and grunt/gearing combo makes motorway cruising completely effortless. Spacious and well kitted out too.

45-50 mpg realistic consumption in "real" daily use. PD engines are known for robustness and reliability if serviced correctly.

But the real cost advantage of the Golf is when you come to sell it. In GT trim with the high powered PD engines, they hold their value like nothng else. Even the early stuff with 150k on it is still worth 30-40% of its new value. Buy a £10k example tomorrow, and I reckon you'll still get more than half your money back in 3 years, even with starship miles on the clock.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - P E
What about a Skoda Octavia or Honda Accord?
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - gordonbennet
Having run 4 x 4's i would say you will not find a cheap to run/insure unless you go for a newish pick up.

Big 4 x 4 estates are very expensive to insure, (except defender cheap as chips to insure but expensive to buy and no room for a big chap like you) to be similar. Maybe shogun sport could be an exception.

From your question i would say you want to upsize from a car.

If your prepared to go slightly smaller 'soft roader' then rav 4/X-trail/ CRV.

It may not be in your budget yet, but have a test drive in new hilux (we did and bought i'm biased), surprisingly quiet and comfortable and very high geared (2200 rpm at 80).
You might pick up a Vigo 3 litre (thats the grey hilux) for 12 to 15k (3 litre from 2005 in grey, from 2007 in uk model).

SWMBO is getting 30 general stop/start others are getting 34/35 mpg.(3 litre auto)

2.5 litre underpowered but i think most 2 ton vehicles are with a 2.5.

I would suggest volvo or subaru but you want reasonable insurance

Just remember youll want a large motor registered before March 2006 to miss the band G roadtax.(unless you get a pick up but keep that quiet)
nice one, thanks for all the replys.
Was thinking of a 330d bmw? Have found out the company pay for diesel with a fuel card.
so fast loadsa torque diesel?
wouldnt want to take the pink fluffy dice and get a subaru 2.5 petrol sti though.
needs to have an engineers look type of car, but showing the company is doing well also.
so yes skoda is good idea, and one to put on list, do they do a vrs diesel?
keep the suggestions coming.
remember driving a 407 sw diesel that was very quick 2.0.
very comfy too.
I have a problem tho, I need a 3 way car
1.(estate for tip trips)
2.(coupe for style and good looks)
3.(4 door for football with son and his mates/family trips)
4.(oh and a car for work, just a few tools/ small server and flat screen)
no a five way car
5.(4x4 for winter or getting stuck in tweksbury again, the focus estate was great got thru 3 foot flood water)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/11/2007 at 18:49

cheapest to run / insure but Strong - SuperBuyer
I've been through a similar process to you - how to get a family car and a warmish hatch to retain my youth with. I've come to the conclusion that 1 car can't do all that, so I'm keeping the Golf (as mentioned further up this post - I've got the Mk4, 2004 with 120K on the clock and its still worth £6K) and looking at a 4x4 for use as a family car and winter/flood use for travelling to work.

I reckon it will be cost neutral to buying one larger car and having worse fuel economy. No fuel card here, just commuting and business miles paid (17ppm) and a car allowance.

I did look at the 330 BMW & the Audi A6 TDI Avant....
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - helicopter
The Honda Accord CDTi EX or Sport Tourer fits all the criteria except 4 x 4 .

1) Diesel Estate - 2.2 litre engine with huge load capacity, Ex is comfy with all the toys , Sport is sporty but not stupidly so for a company motor.

2 ) Coupe - The looks are always subjective but I love the look of mine ( petrol 2.4 EX ) and friends agree that the rear looks like the Scimitar GTE.

3) 4 door five seater , room for son , his mates and the goalposts ,nets and corner flags as well.

4) Never mind the server and a few small tools , you could get a whole network in.. and the car presents the right image to clients without being showy .

5 ) Three foot of floodwater.... buy a RIB and carry it in the back......
cheapest to run / insure but Strong - Altea Ego
the chopper is right, it ticks the most boxes.
------
< Ulla>
Yes, tis true, I am guessing that whatever Ibuy, will have to fit the job in hand.
Did see the mitisibishi FTO. does around 20-30mpg, auto or manual.
2.0 v6, sounds great, very reliable, and looks a bit different.
but wouldnt do the other bits.
What about an alfa, I know the electrics are bad, but its just different looking.
need to have a look around. I guess for £3K I'm not gona get a good one am I ?

been looking on autotrader, how about a ford scorpio?
2.9 ultima for 600 quid?
I could pay it off in 1 month overtime !
looks in mint condition too.
or an Audi a6 - V6-2.8 quattro dark blue metallic/cream leather, all extras, 140K miles / 2 owners, seems a hell of a lot of car for the money.
that would be nice to wiz about down in wales and round the m6/m5/m40.
and the price just £2600, 3 months overtime?
omg or a merc 98 plate C class 280 sport with 140K miles on it, surely that would be good for another 60 K miles?
or a C240 Sport?
they look a million dollers, compared to a £3K 3 year old ford Ka !