1993 1.8 - Ball joints and track rod ends - jim-mapps
Hello.

have a 1.8 cavalier on an L and it's just failed it's MOT. A Ball joint, loose track rod end, handbrake needs adjusting and a headlight aimed too low but no adjustment left in it. Something broken, garage reckons a "Little white clip under the lamp" might be the cause.

I'll be clear, this car is a stop gap while I fix my 306xsi (posted a coupla days ago) so as long as it's safe it don't need to be pretty. Anyone know of any quick fixes or common probs with any of the above?

Muchos Appreciated.

Jim.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/11/2007 at 12:31

1993 1.8 - Ball joints and track rod ends - bell boy
track rod end might be a problem as they always seized on the arm and needed plenty of heat
bottom ball joint might put up a fight to come off
headlight probably wants a smack with your wrist and a carefully positioned self tapper (think the white clip is more corsa orientated but i could be wrong)
handbrake,well you are best taking the drums off ,adjusting and cleaning everything up to do the job right.
basically an old car so if doing it on your drive just allow plenty of time (it might snow this weekend also)
1993 1.8 - Ball joints and track rod ends - jim-mapps
OK Cheers.
1993 1.8 - Ball joints and track rod ends - Ruperts Trooper
It may be cheaper/easier to get a pattern wishbone which will already have new bushes and balljoint.
1993 1.8 - Ball joints and track rod ends - Victorbox
Be careful changing the wishbone as it seems from the Cav Owners Network that the rear fixing bolt under the footwells can strip its captive thread or the captive fixing break off meaning that you have to cut a hole in the footwell floor to get at it from inside the car.