2003 - wiper blade wear indicator - L'escargot
The front wipers on my 03/03 Focus have wear indicators (near where the arm attaches to the blade) which are supposed to change from black to a warning triangle on a yellow background when blade renewal is advisable. The illustration on the box showed the yellow background as bright yellow. The indicators on mine are showing yellow, but a very murky yellow which needs a good light to be able to distinguish that they are no longer black. In practice do they ever really go bright yellow?

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2007 at 09:58

Focus wiper blade wear indicator - mikej
I wouldn't worry about it too much - those yellow stickers are just a crafty way for Ford to get you to replace your wiper blades early. The stickers on mine went yellow in a matter of months despite the blades obviously still being fine after that short time.

I got fed up of Ford telling me they needed replacing at every service, so I coloured them black with a marker pen and they didn't mention it again (which proved that they were just looking at the stickers, rather than actually checking the blades themselves)

They lasted many more years before needing replacing.
Focus wiper blade wear indicator - Group B
I have had aftermarket Valeo wiper blades and they have the same wear indicators; mine did go properly yellow with a warning triangle visible and AFAIR they went yellow some time before they needed changing.
I go on visibility only and I hate streaky wipers.
Focus wiper blade wear indicator - L'escargot
Do they just change with age or exposure to daylight? I can't imagine they're clever enough to actually measure/record blade wear.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus wiper blade wear indicator - Group B
The Valeo ones have a plastic sticker that you peel off the "wear indicators" when you have fitted them; so it must change colour due to exposure to air, sunlight or moisture?

Rich..
Focus wiper blade wear indicator - AR-CoolC
The Valeo (OEM to Ford) wear indicators turn yellow with exposure to UV light as this is the biggest degrader od the rubber used in wiper blades.

I had the same wipers on my Previous Focus and the wear indicators turned a bright yellow. This was at around the time they needed changing anyway (in my eyes)