free windscreen repairs at...... - milkyjoe
i noticed a small crack in my windscreen last week , right in the centre so not an mot issue (yet) was telling my brother about it on the way back from brum airport and he reckons i can get it repaired for nowt at tesco or asda carparks , any one heard of this stunt? or is it a wind up....thanks
free windscreen repairs at...... - Lud
A meandering crack, probably a foot long altogether, has appeared in the bottom n/s corner of my windscreen. Would that mean an MoT fail?

I can't see that there would be any way of repairing a crack, although a small chip or gouge might be filled with a suitable clear material.

Edited by Lud on 25/11/2007 at 14:05

free windscreen repairs at...... - eProf
Two years ago I had a half-inch chip on my Colt's windscreen. I called Autoglass who came out to the house, fixed it in half-an-hour with a type of resin, all at no charge to us. No problems since!

Ten years ago, in South Africa, I had a vast crack. half way across my Jetta's windscreen which was fixed in a similar way with resin. That's still going strong a decade later!

--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager

Edited by eProf on 25/11/2007 at 20:28

free windscreen repairs at...... - Number_Cruncher
>>in the bottom n/s corner of my windscreen.

Unless your car is LHD, you'll be OK. The MOT regs, quite sensibly, only consider cracks and defects in the driver's line of sight.

As your screen is probably laminated, the crack will probably only be in one layer, and as such, won't dramatically affect the structure of the car (structurally, bonded glass forms a shear panel, preventing the windscreen opening lozenging - the screen stiffnes the car in shear [and hence torsion], but isn't a primary loadpath).

You might also be concerned if there's a passenger airbag - it might not deploy properly if the screen's bending strength isn't high enough to contain the exploding Zeppelin.

Number_Cruncher
free windscreen repairs at...... - Hamsafar
Yes, there is usually a tent that you drive in and they check on a laptop that your insurance will pay them and if so, repair your chip.
free windscreen repairs at...... - L'escargot
Your insurance pays, but it costs you nothing because repairs (as opposed to replacements) don't require you to pay the "excess". It doesn't need to be done specifically by an itinerant repairer for you to get this service.
--
L\'escargot.
free windscreen repairs at...... - james86
Check your excess first. I got my Direct Line renewal quote a couple of weeks ago to find a new £10 excess for windscreen repair (still £60 for replacement)
free windscreen repairs at...... - jc2
Certainly a windscreen repair firm appears in our Asda c/park occasionally but it's not free-your insurance company pays-also a glass engraving firm appears.
free windscreen repairs at...... - pendulum
I once saw signs at Homebase saying "Free Windscreen Repair here", put up by a windscreen repair company. Another windscreen repair company has similar signs, but has an asterisk by the text and then small print at the bottom to explain the catch (that you need fully comp, subject to insurance approval, etc).

This company just had "Free windscreen repair here, ALL DAY". No small print underneath or anything. I thought great, it's probably funded by Homebase to draw customers in off the road. I only found out the catch when I drove in to Homebase and got to the tent. A waste of 5 minutes that was.

Is it legal to have a sign up saying "Free windscreen repair here, all day" (with No small print - I did double check), and then wanting money for the service once you get there? (He wanted £80 as my insurance was TPF&F). I'm thinking along the lines of false advertising.

Edited by pendulum on 25/11/2007 at 18:36

free windscreen repairs at...... - martint123
Is it legal to have a sign up saying "Free windscreen repair here, all day" (with No small print

I'm not sure about the legalities, but Trading Standards would be interested in the false advertising.
free windscreen repairs at...... - Galaxy
Yes, pendulum, I too have seen these "Free windscreen repair here, all day" signs without any small print being included. Knowing what will happen about payment for any "customers" I have often thought that it is, indeed, misleading advertising.

I wonder whether anyone has ever taken out a test-case against them?

free windscreen repairs at...... - bell boy
While it might not be technically legal to advertise without the small print in a well known supermarket i see the BIGGER picture :-)
Its getting people who normally lets these things on their screens fester get them repaired courtesy of the insurance they didnt realise they had.
Its keeping people in work who might otherwise have to join the great unwashed.
They arent going to do a job without knowing they will get paid so its not really misleading ,just bending the truth a little.........

10/10 from me if they do a good job