Locking wheel nuts - Clanger
My son has obtained some alloy wheels and new tyres for his AX. I have sourced a locking wheel nut kit from a car boot sale but have lost the instructions. We've got this far and you're thinking "how difficult can this be?".

Right, the AX has wheel bolts. The locking kit contains a stud threaded a third of the way down, a 3mm unthreaded portion and the remaining two thirds is threaded. On either end of this stud goes the locking wheelnut.

My question is, which end goes into the hub, the one third threaded with some Loctite, leaving a long bit to hang the wheel on and the put the nut on the exposed thread?

or

screw the nut up to the unthreaded band with some Loctite and use it like a bolt?

Over to you while I cool my melting brain with a glass of orange juice.

As ever, TIA.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Locking wheel nuts - mjm
Without seeing the kit: -

Is the longer threaded length sufficient to go through the wheel and fit the nut?

If so then the shorter thread goes into the hub.

As a trial assembly I would do the following

1 Thread the short length fully into the hub,dry,no threadlock, until it bottoms.
2 Check that the hub rotates and the stud catches on nothing to hinder the rotation, ie clear of brake parts, hoses etc.
3 If all is clear, fit wheel onto stud and locate it onto hub.
4 Fit nut and check for full engagement of nut with threads on stud, ie a couple of threads of stud protrude through nut.
5 If all is ok, take it all apart again, apply suitable threadlock to short end of stud and screw in as in 1 above.

The stud is now fixed to the hub. This makes wheel location after a change easier than trying to locate wheel on hub and line up bolthole at the same time.

Now go to stage 6. Have another glass of orange juice with a good reward in the form of some vodka in it.

hth
Locking wheel nuts - bell boy
i would go along with all mjm says but remind you to also recheck the hub nuts at 50 miles,specifically as car will only have 3 bolts anyway unless its the gt
Locking wheel nuts - pmh
Be aware that some alloys require a different profile on the contact surface of the nut/bolt head to wheel to that of steel wheels. Check very carefully before using 2nd hand bolts/nuts.
--

pmh (was peter)

Locking wheel nuts - Clanger
Thank you all. I'm sure mjm has it except for stage 6. Mrs H would never tolerate me snaffling her vodka .

pmh, I do have the correct bolts for the alloys and they are different to the bolts for the steel wheels
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land