Minimising wear on car door locks - L'escargot
Where there are alternative methods I usually try to use the one which minimises wear or transfers the wear onto a cheaper component.

For example I disconnect the TV from the mains using the switch on the 13 amp socket rather than the switch on the front of the set. I can renew a 13 amp socket, but if the switch on the TV fails it would probably not be replaceable.

So ......... which minimises the wear on car door locks, using the key or using the remote?
--
L\'escargot.
Minimising wear on car door locks - martint123
Just get an old banger and just leave it unlocked.
Minimising wear on car door locks - cheddar
>>which minimises the wear on car door locks, using the key or using the remote?>>

On some cars using the key will only unlock the drivers door so that mininises wear on the other locks, otherwise there is little in it because the c/l motors are triggered by the use of the key, in fact using the remote will reduce the wear on the lock barrel though the remote battery will suffer!

The only example of this approach that I can think that I employ is to use a USB keyboard with a laptop when at home, I can get a new USB k/b for less than a tenner though it casost rather more to replace a laptop k/b.
Minimising wear on car door locks - Lud
Better still, never open the doors at all. Just break one of the windows and get in and out that way. You can jam a bit of cardboard in the hole when you are driving to keep the draught out.
Minimising wear on car door locks - Altea Ego
For example I disconnect the TV from the mains using the switch on the 13
amp socket rather than the switch on the front of the set. I can renew
a 13 amp socket but if the switch on the TV fails it would probably
not be replaceable.

Use the remote control to turn it to standby and save the socket as well.

So ......... which minimises the wear on car door locks using the key or using
the remote?

the only thing I ever had wear out on car doors was the lock tumbler. THat was ok tho cos it meant any key would open it (good old Ford)

------
< Ulla>
Minimising wear on car door locks - Pendlebury
Come on guys - are times that hard.
Surley these item such as locks and switches are designed to be operated 10,000's of times before they let the public loose on them.
The switch on the front of the set also controls the power going into the more sensitive part sof the set. Just using the plug switch risks surging some of the electronics inside.
You will all be driving around in the dark soon because you don't want to wear out your light bulbs.
You will all be driving around in the dark soon because you don't want to
wear out your light bulbs.

Not "all", only me! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Surley these item such as locks ............. are designed to be operated 10 000's
of times before they let the public loose on them.

Yep, but there are still lots of posts in Technical Matters asking for advice on malfunctioning door locks!

--
L\'escargot.
Minimising wear on car door locks - kithmo
Yep but there are still lots of posts in Technical Matters asking for advice on
malfunctioning door locks!

Probably due to lack of use ;0)
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
On our Clio the remote triggers the c/l and unlocks all doors where as the key only the drivers door, I quite like this and will use the key if by myself in the car. The Mondeo key triggers the c/l and unlocks all doors as per the remote, I guess I would like it to also only open the drivers door.

Edited by cheddar on 24/11/2007 at 09:57

One click on my remote opens the driver's door only, and two clicks opens all doors. It's an intentional safety measure to prevent lowlife entering the car from the passenger's side.
--
L\'escargot.
One click on my remote opens the driver's door only and two clicks opens all
doors. >>

On the Mondeo one click locks and two clicks deadlock, you can tell the latter because the hazzards flash, they dont when simply locked with one click.
Minimising wear on car door locks - kithmo
Cheddar, on the Mondeo, if you press and hold the lock and unlock butttons on your remote simultaneously for 4 seconds, it will change the locking mode to the one you desire.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Cheddar on the Mondeo if you press and hold the lock and unlock butttons on
your remote simultaneously for 4 seconds it will change the locking mode to the one
you desire.

Really, I know there are various programable options, auto lock once on the move etc.

Do you mean that the key only unlocks the drivers door and the remote unlocks all doors or do you mean that the remote will only unlock the drivers door? If the latter is one click - driver door and two clicks - all then?

Thanks.
Minimising wear on car door locks - Clk Sec
>>You will all be driving around in the dark soon because you don't want to wear out your light bulbs.<<

There?s some canny folk in rural Lincolnshire !

Clk Sec
Minimising wear on car door locks - Blue {P}
I can't believe that we're discussing this! :-)

Blue
Minimising wear on car door locks - madf
BMW drivers obviously worry about the cheap internal switches and the possibility of early failure resulting in an extremely expensive repair.

This explains why they chose not to use their indicators.

:-)
madf
Minimising wear on car door locks - Pugugly {P}
:-) indeed.
Minimising wear on car door locks - gordonbennet
If we are really supposed to take this seriously (checks calender for strange phenomena) then i use the locks now and again to stop them sticking and also keep them lubricated for the day when the cl packs up.

Going to be fun that day for owners of various French cars when they discover for the first time that there is no key lock on the o/s door.

Did beemers come with indicators as standard anyway?
They were part of the "courtesy pack". See how liberated I've become.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/11/2007 at 12:14

I understand I drive allows users of BMW to make indicator use optional.
madf
Minimising wear on car door locks - oilrag
"Not "all", only me! ;-)"

L,Escargot !, thats exactly how I think. Will now show your post to SMBO as proof that i`m er, normal ;)

Actually, its a sobering thought to reflect on the finite number of operations possible without failure on a cars components. I feel better after declining aircon, central locking and electric windows and was dismayed to be forced by legislation into ABS.

We had a great `solid state`TV a few years back. The only mechanical part on it, the on/off switch failed.
Regards
Minimising wear on car door locks - Hamsafar
Use it or lose it.
Seized due to lack of use.
>>Yep, but there are still lots of posts in Technical Matters asking for advice on malfunctioning door locks<<

Probably from not being used enough - and if you have a look they are usually on Fords or VAG brands - what do you expect ?

What other parts of your car don't you use in case you wear it out ?

I suppose you could learn to hot wire it so you don't wear out the ignition barrel - and could someone explain why this is different to a door lock which if sprayed with a little lubricant now and then won't freeze up - unless of course it is a Ford or VAG.

Edited by Pendlebury on 24/11/2007 at 15:31

Minimising wear on car door locks - David Horn
Simply leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the engine running, then the locks and barrels will never wear out.

Now, back in my day when all we had was a shoebox between the 28 of us... etc. etc.
Minimising wear on car door locks - bathtub tom
>>Now, back in my day when all we had was a shoebox between the 28 of us... etc. etc.

We're getting back in "dead parrot" territory again.
"We're getting back in "dead parrot" territory again."

Sorry.. not a dead parrot.

A live one would squawk and replace the horn. Hence no wear on horn buttons.

Starting handle to stop starter motor wear.
Seat covers. Floor mats and Chip proof polish.

Plus nodding dogs to keep cats from climbing on cars when parked.. works very well.
madf
Minimising wear on car door locks - oilrag
I shove mine along the drive with my shoulder (to the washing place) to avoid cold start wear.
Minimising wear on car door locks - Nsar
It's only 4 weeks to Christmas, I think L'Escargot is going big for the "most trivial thread of the year" prize.

I'm going to start one on which tyre do you start on first when you're checking the pressure?

Or maybe, when checking your dipstick do you wipe it on a bit of rag or your shirt sleeve?

:)
>>do you wipe it on a bit of rag
or your shirt sleeve?
:)

How disgusting people are. What do they think the good old hanky is for?
I don't check my oil. Frequent removal of the dipstick will wear it out
:-)

Opening the bonnet means the bonnet switch will wear away..

As for checking the water by removing the radiator cap? Never. It will weaken the pressure cap.

madf
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought L'escargot was a Legacy owner ???
In which case they will never wear out anyway.
Minimising wear on car door locks - MGspannerman
I have told passengers in my car not to look through the glass windows in case they wear them out.
not to look through the glass windows in
case they wear them out.

Actually I do believe light does degrade glass, quite slowly of course, and the light reflected from people's staring, glossy orbs must have its effect too.

Note to Number Cruncher: usable equation please, pronto.
Minimising wear on car door locks - Number_Cruncher
I don't have any info on glass as such, but there's some glass like material that we're using on a project that has some odd properties.

One of these odd properties is that when exposed to radiation, it shrinks a bit. Now, it's a small effect, typically only a few parts per million, but, if you make a curved mirror, the shrinkage will make the optical system go out of focus - or, as we are doing, if you use the glass to form a stable base to measure from, you are thwarted because it moves a few ppm!

Number_Cruncher
Didn't that happen to the Hubble Telescope once the reflecting mirrors were exposed to cosmic
radiation...?
Minimising wear on car door locks - Dynamic Dave
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought L'escargot was a Legacy owner ???

Ford Focus I think you'll find.
Minimising wear on car door locks - jag
my shirt is the old rag !! jag.
...... I think L'Escargot is going big for the "most
trivial thread of the year" prize.

I've been noticed! Fame at last!
--
L\'escargot.
Infamy, infamy...

Clk Sec
Minimising wear on car door locks - piggy
I`m going to remove the windscreen on my car to save wear on the wiper blades. Oh,yes,and the doors to save wearing the locks out.
---------------------------------
hurrying on- to a receding future
Careful owners who park their car outside at night should consider removing the exhaust system at night, storing it in the house and reattach the next morning. This will prolong life and reduce rusting .

The Motor 1 April 1913.

Owners who are concerned their tyres wear unevenly should adopt a daily scheudle of wheel rotation.

The Autocar 1 April 1914

Our brave soldiers, ever mindful of the need to dazzle the enemy with the gleam of their new tanks and to put fear into their opponents, hose them down daily to remove mud and polish them on Sundays.

The War Reporter 21 October 1917

madf
Minimising wear on car door locks - bell boy
to save wear and tear on the engine it is best to push the car with the engine turned off at most times

the internal journal of useful information ,rampton hospital june 12th 1993.
And of course bb if you want to save wear and tear on the wheel bearings, drive shafts, tyres and suspension you can always carry it. Or so I was reliably informed in Broadmoor.
tried that in Ashworth but the transmission kept leaking on the floors so matron banned internal combustables under the beds :-(
I don't blame her. You must have been carrying it untidily under your arm, or just rolling it along with your feet in slovenly fashion.

The North Africans in the Eurotunnel waiting compound at Calais are rather good at balancing them on their heads though. Clean and elegant. No problems with the Matron there.
>>best to push the car with the engine turned off at most times<<

False economy resulting in regular hefty bill from local cobbler.

Clk Sec

Minimising wear on car door locks - gordonbennet
Pull the car instead of pushing still less wear and tear but it gives the impression of FWD and you dont wear the paint on the bootlid.

Dont recycle old squeezy bottles use them as screenwash dispensers.

Reroute the exhaust through the passenger cabin and save those heater motors, put a griddle over the cat and have a fry up, the left over grease can go in the fuel tank.

>>Reroute the exhaust through the passenger cabin<<

Often wondered how heat exchangers worked.

Silly thread fodder - I?m off for a couple of pints !

Clk Sec
when tyres get down to 1.6 tread remove and cut up ,these make a nice stew if left on regulo 4 for 8 hours.
dont use clean dusters to polish chromework on your car use next doors washing from their line, but be sure to replace before they come home from work (this can only be attained if you are either on holiday or retired though)
if stuck in traffic and you wish to save the battery on your car, momentarily turn your stereo up to ear bleed levels then turn off,this way the car parked at the side of you will turns his up full to combat yours and unless you are unlucky he may well have a top of the range bose system that you too can enjoy,be aware of cars with baseball wearing drivers though as their stereo systems tend to be made for poor noise rather than substance
er.... that's enough minimising wear.....you're wearing out the my computer screens.
Minimising wear on car door locks - christo
50 or so replies and I really don't want to read any more about this..............
Minimising wear on car door locks - PoloGirl
I'm just depressed that I wont ever get back the time I had to spend reading this thread...

... it did make me laugh though.