some tyre questions - tyro
1) What effect does inflating tyres a couple of psi over the recommended amount have on tyre noise?

2) What effect does tread wear have on tyre noise - i.e. will a new tyre be quieter or noisier than one worn down to 2mm?

3) What effect does tread wear have rolling resistance - i.e. will I get better fuel economy from a new tyre or one that is worn down to 2mm?

4) How badly worn do winter tyres have to be before they are worse in snow than summer tyres - e.g. would a winter tyre with 2 mm of tread be better or worse in snow than a summer tyre with 6 mm of tread?
some tyre questions - Ruperts Trooper
1) Slight increase in noise
2) New tyres are quieter than old ones, but it varies by brand enormously
3) Worn tyres will give slightly worse economy because of the reduced gearing
4) Winter tyres aren't just about snow, they're also about wet and/or cold road surfaces - winter tyres with 2mm tread will be just as dangerous in the wet as summer tyres with 2mm

If you're considering considering switching between winter and summer tyres, also consider using all-season tyres all year round.
some tyre questions - Bill Payer
Here are my guesses:
1) I'd expect the noise to be less
2) New tyre noisier
3) No measurable difference
4) I would expect (but might be completely wrong) that the winter tyre would still be better. However winter tyres are supposed to have at least 4mm of tread to function in snow - less than that and they don't count as winter tyres in Germany.
Thanks RT & BP.

Re winter tyres: I do switch between winter and summer tyres. I know that winter tyres are also about wet and cold, but my primary reason for fitting them (as opposed to all-season tyres) is for traction in the snow. (Comes of living in a remote spot in the Highlands)

(My understanding is that all-season tyres are about as good as winter tyres for wet and cold, but they are not as good for snow).

I normally run summer tyres until they reach 2mm. The decision I have to take is at what stage I replace winter tyres with new ones. Should I also run them to 2mm, or should I make that 3, or perhaps 4? And if I were to change them at 4 mm, should I run them down to 2 or 3mm during the summer when I don't anticipate snow - or just dispose of them? It seems from what BP says that the answer is to run them as summer tyres.

Edited by tyro on 22/11/2007 at 16:22

some tyre questions - Bill Payer
The decision I have to take is at what stage I replace winter tyres with new ones.

Don't winter tyres have wear indicators at 4mm, as summer tyres do at 1.6mm?

I would say in winter you should change them at 4mm. I don't see any harm in running them down to 2mm in summer. Some people leave them on year round - it may not be worth putting on tyres already worn to 4mm if you have to pay normal commerical rates to have them fitted.
some tyre questions - Alby Back
In response to Q4 - winter tyres. Spent my formative driving years in rural Scotland where "proper" winter conditions often prevail. Tried winter tyres on various vehicles but frankly they don't seem to make a big difference. Chains work if things get really bad.Also tried what would now be called a LR Defender which certainly got you going but was more difficult to stop in snow due to weight. Best allrounders I found in snow (on normal tyres) were.........

1/ old style Fiat Panda..lightweight,high ground clearance, skinny tyres and low power.
2/ Citroen Xantia.. Just pump it up to max height on the suspension if stuck in snow and drive out.

some tyre questions - Number_Cruncher
1) Very few people will be able to give a good answer to this one (while he was alive, Prof Manfredd Heckl would be able to give you the best answer - in the UK, Roger Pinnington did some work on this at ISVR) It's probably best to simply try it and see.

2) See answer to 1!

3) Rolling resistance is mainly due to the hysteresis losses in deforming the sidewall, and the rolling tread - as the *smaller* tread blocks themselves don't deform too much, tread depth won't have an effect, but, if your tyre has larger (longer) tread blocks that do deform, then there may be a marginal gain from the lower bending stiffnesses obtained with worn tread - but I don't see it being a big effect. As the deformation of the sidewall, and the rubber benesath the tread is substantially unchanged, I can't see the tread being a big issue.

Whgile the rolling radius will change with wear, the effective gearing will reduce, and the torque required will drop pro-rata, so the fuel consumption won't rise linearly with tread wear - it's a more complex (and significantly weaker) effect than that.

4) I don't know - sorry.

Number_Cruncher
some tyre questions - doctorchris
Had a 4WD Ford Maverick once with well-worn M+S tyres that was worse climbing a snowy slope than a Sierra with summer tyres and good tread.
some tyre questions - OldSock
Chris - so these weren't just tyres, they were M&S tyres .....?!
some tyre questions - Collos25
Very good I like that.

On a serious note winter tyres with under 4mm of tread are illegal in Germany and we have no choice about changing October to March is winter tyre time.
www.atu.de/pages/home.html
some tyre questions - Billy Whizz
Great discussion. I love tyres!

Below is a pdf of an October 2007 test of 10 winter tyres against the best all season tyre carried out by Auto Bild of Germany.
tinyurl.com/3xhz9m

(I use Google language tools and Altavista Babelfish to translate but the results are not very good. However, the tables and charts speak for themselves.)

These tests involve key performance measures in snow, wet and dry. Included are noise tests at 2 speeds and rolling resistance. They also compare a summer tyre in the wet and dry tests. The key data missing is the temperature at which the wet and dry tests were carried out. The summer tyre is significantly better than the others in wet and dry braking. Yet we all read how winter tyres have better grip below +7 degrees.

Here is another Auto Bild article on winter tyres (html).
tinyurl.com/2om5oo

Modern winter tyres are significantly improved on even 5-year old designs. There is really no comparison between a modern winter tyre and a 1970's M+S tyre as might have been fitted on a Land Rover Series III !

Further useful reading are the Winter Tire Tech articles on the American tirerack.com

Here are the Transport Canada Winter Tire Safety Tips
www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tires/wintertires/menu.htm

I would guess a winter tyre with 2 mm of tread would be WORSE in snow than a summer tyre with 6 mm of tread. Both of them will be horrible! I second the view (having driven in 3 nordic winters) that once you get down to 4mm on a winter tyre you should just keep it on for the summer.

My half worn M+S Goodyear Wranglers (OE) are very noticeably more slippery compared to my new Yokohama Geolandar I/T+ winter ice traction. The Yokohamas are 40mm narrower which significantly contributes to their snow and slush performance. From walking pace the Yokohamas will stop my 4x4 easily on the steep ice encrusted slope of my driveway, the Goodyears won?t. It is truly amazing to see.
Thanks for that, Billy Whizz. Excellent and very interesting. Alas, I know no German, but the charts are very revealing.
Included are noise tests
at 2 speeds and rolling resistance. They also compare a summer tyre in the wet
and dry tests. The key data missing is the temperature at which the wet and
dry tests were carried out. The summer tyre is significantly better than the others in
wet and dry braking. Yet we all read how winter tyres have better grip below
+7 degrees.

That really is astonishing. Not to tell us the temperature at which those tests were carried out really means that they are pretty pointless. If those tests were carried out at, say 10 or 15 degrees, then that is what we would expect. If they were carried out at 5 degrees, then that puts a different slant on things.

The other thing that surprised me is that, if I understand the graphs, winter tyres are considerably better than summer tyres for rolling resistance. I'd never heard that before.
Summer tyres better than winter ones in wet & dry! - Billy Whizz
My thoughts exactly, tyro!

I find the Auto Bild test to be very frustrating reading because I am still trying to justify getting an extra set of tyres for winter use in the SE UK ! Also note the details of summer tyre are not once specified in the article. Plus, judging from the number plates, the snow tests were carried out in Japan (last winter?) and all the others in Germany (it doesn't look too wintery in the photos).

My conclusion from the Auto Bild data is:

[1] the performance on snow of a summer tyre compared to the winter and all season tyres is shockingly bad. E.g. "Braking on snow from 50 kph: the AUDI stops on the Vredestein after 28 meters, the all season Goodyear needs an additional car length. The summer tyre continues to slip for another 33 meters."

[2] However, in every single safety test on wet and dry roadways the summer tyre was superior although sometimes not by much. "Aquaplaning: as expected the summer tyre has the least problems, upto 93 km/h keeps the tyre in contact with the roadway. With the winter tires only the Vredestein offers similar security reserves, the Sportiva already aquaplanes above 75 km/h." "Braking in dry from 100 kph: Against the summer the winter tire does not have a chance with a full brake. Already with the all season tyre the braking distance extends by one and a half vehicle lengths." (Summer tyre 39.5m, Goodyear 45.9m). All the other winter tyres are worse.

[3] in the noise test, the summer tyre was within 2% of the winner. Most winter tyres are not significantly noisier than summer ones.

[4] as you say, surprisingly, the summer tyre had the largest rolling resistance on test. "A five percent lower rolling resistance reduces fuel consumption by one percent. Then the Michelin Primacy Alpine saves seven percent fuel compared with the summer tyres."

Does anyone have any other tests between summer and winter tyres?