window tint spray - ronnie_rev
Hiya i have been looking at getting my windows tinted on a budget. i have tried using the film and made a hash of it. I found on ebay that you can now buy window tint in a can. Has anyone ever tried this. If so what does the overall affect look like. Any problems you found. Cheers
window tint spray - Dulwich Estate
Why oh why do you want to do this?

If you want it to be more difficult to see out of the windows I'd suggest not washing the car at all. A lovely film of dirt will soon build up. It's cheap and will even save on car washing materials.
Doing this so people can't see me and the mrs in the back lol. Also so it stays cooler in the summer and keeps the sun out of me daughter's eyes. I will only be doin the back ones. Doesn't matter about not being able to see out of them because its fitted with a reversing camera.

Edited by ronnie_rev on 19/11/2007 at 16:52

window tint spray - paulb {P}
If you're looking at the stuff I'm looking at (£8.99 for two cans) I'd be very, very wary. No indication of how you use it or anything.

The problem you'll have is that unless you've got somewhere dry, draught-free and probably temperature controlled too, it is going to be nearly impossible to get an even coat and it will look rubbish. The item I'm looking at has a picture of a car on it that has allegedly been treated with this stuff. I'm not convinced...

If I was you I'd save up and get it done properly. Colleague of mine knows a place near to my work that does this (and takes out the glass to do it properly) and they charge about £180-£250 depending on how many windows you have. Making a mess with this sort of spray-on snake oil could cost you better than double that to sort out.
window tint spray - Collos25
There is only one way and thats to have it done professionally,stick on blinds would be much more efficient and cost less and you won't look a plonker.
window tint spray - BobbyG
A reversing camera on a mini????
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
window tint spray - a900ss
It's a large car with HUGE overhangs. I'm surprised you don't need a banksman to guide you when reversing one of those :)
window tint spray - FotheringtonThomas
stick on blinds would be much more efficient and cost less and you won't
look a plonker.

What 'ee said. Also, personally, I can't stand looking out at things through tinted glass, I like to see the proper colours. Hello sky. Hello clouds. Hello trees. Hello Officer, of course I was looking where I was going!
window tint spray - Mutton Geoff
Last time I used such a product, it was Sperex Window Tint which I proudly "tinted" the windows of my MK1 Cortina back in 1975. The first damp & misty day the stuff peeled straight off. Can't believe it's still sold 30 years later.

window tint spray - Bilboman
Lost count of the times I've been unable to see further ahead than one car in a queue of traffic because of... some eejut with blackened out rear window.
Use tints on rear side windows by all means - but PLEASE not the back window! "Venetian" blinds can be adjusted to keep sun rays out but allow horizontal vision through the car.
Or... - Whatever happened to those louvred window mouldings so popular in the 1970s? I was half expecting Gene Hunt's Cortina GXL to have one. Every other Ford did back then!
window tint spray - ForumNeedsModerating
Leaving aside the aesthetics of this - how much will a DIY tinting job do to the residual value when you come to sell? Much better I would have thought to get a professional job done - false economy otherwise - it'll look better too.
how much will a DIY tinting job do to the residual value when you come to sell?

DIY or professional, I would not buy a car with tinted windows, full stop (unless the tint was peel-offable (sp?)). Perhaps, if many people hold the same view, that might affect resale value...
window tint spray - L'escargot
1 Corinthians:
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

--
L\'escargot.
window tint spray - wildcolonial
let us spray...
window tint spray - BobbyG
My Seat has rear tinted windows and I like them. Contrast with the bodywork quite nicely. Also you really need to be up close to see inside.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
window tint spray - oilrag
You can`t beat a very heavily tinted rear window that you can just dimly see out of. Just the job on my van;)
window tint spray - normd2
my mobile greenhouse (aka Previa) needs dark windows in the summer to stop the kiddiewinkles cooking.
If you take your time and are prepared to be VERY patient then the window film can be applied properly.
top-tip:- squirty bottle with a mild soapy solution sprayed liberally is invaluable.
This is what VOSA say on the subject. tinyurl.com/2uw37r
--
L\'escargot.
window tint spray - Altea Ego
My Seat has rear tinted windows and I like them. Contrast with the bodywork quite
nicely. Also you really need to be up close to see inside.

My Seat also has tinted rear windows, and unlike Bobbies (ie contrast = sticks out like a sore thumb) mine blend in with the sleek black bodywork. ;)

Junior like to travel in the back now, like a pop star he says. More like simon cowell I say.
------
< Ulla>
window tint spray - milkyjoe
1 Corinthians:
"For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face; now I
know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

SNIPQUOTE!

looks like snails seen the light!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/11/2007 at 12:42

window tint spray - ForumNeedsModerating
DIY or professional, I would not buy a car with tinted windows..

Ditto. I believe it's offered as a factory option though, so the nearer the OP gets to that (questionable) look the better, if he wants to avoid the 'DIY-SOS' look.

P. T. Barnum's aphorism still rules in these matters.
window tint spray - normd2
p.s window film peels off faster than it goes on - if it's just been done for temp control then don't let it put you off. If the car also has a 10" bore exhaust, 300 speakers and lights under the sills - forget it...
May i quote the origional message:
Hiya i have been looking at getting my windows tinted on a budget. I have
tried using the film and made a hash of it. I found on ebay that
you can now buy window tint in a can. Has anyone ever tried this. If
so what does the overall affect look like. Any problems you found. Cheers

Where in this paragraph does it ask for anyones opinion on getting the windows tinted or not. I asked about methods in getting them tinted. Not asking people weather i should have them tinted in the first place. I want them tinted to enhance the total look of the car, to keep the sun out of my daughters eyes. To keep the car cool in summer. If i wanted people opinions and weather to get them tinted or not i would of asked. Thankyou to all the people with positive input on which material's to use in getting the windows tinted.
window tint spray - 1066
8< snip

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/11/2007 at 18:52

window tint spray - paulb {P}
I want them tinted to enhance the
total look of the car to keep the sun out of my daughters eyes. To
keep the car cool in summer.

DIY job with rubbish in tins from the Bay won't enhance the look. Professional job it has to be. That will also help ensure the other things, too.
I asked about methods in getting them tinted. Not asking people weather i
should have them tinted in the first place.

People like to give their opinions. People discuss these. They're entitled to.
I want them tinted to enhance the total look of the car

Well, the majority seem to think it will do the opposite. I happen to agree.

to keep the sun out of my daughters eyes.

Blinds are better. It's not much of a problem, anyway, especially if you're thoughtful.

If i wanted people opinions and weather to get
them tinted or not i would of asked.

Can you tell me where I can get my car sprayed with berebery cheque?

window tint spray - davmal
"Can you tell me where I can get my car sprayed with berebery cheque?"

Query on your last question. Do you want your car sprayed in a "thiamine deficiency order to transfer money"(beriberi cheque), or in the trench, black, white and red Novacheck pattern" (Burberry check)?

In answer to the originator, I have found tinted windows invaluable for security and comfort, keeping both sunlight, and prying eyes out. My only advice would be to splash out and get them done properly, with some accountability for quality borne by the supplier/fitter and heed the VOSA regulations in the link provided by our "gatropodous" contributor.
window tint spray - Altea Ego
>Where in this paragraph does it ask for anyones opinion on getting the windows tinted or >not. I asked about methods in getting them tinted. Not asking people weather i should >have them tinted in the first place.

Actually you asked about getting them tinted on a budget. Based on peoples experience you were told that a budget tint would a: look appaling and b: not last very long and therefore be a waste of money.

> I want them tinted to enhance the total look of the car,
see a: above

>to keep the sun out of my daughters eyes. To keep the car cool in summer.
see b: above

My advice either do it properly or not at all. And if you cant afford to do it properly, dont waste your money.

------
< Ulla>
Oooooh, get you ;-)
--
L\'escargot.