ford tdci engines - shadyarea
hi i am looking to buy either a fiesta 1.6tdci zectec s
or a focus 1.6 tdci zetec 2005 on but im reading a lot of bad
things about the mondeo tdci would anybody know if
the 1.6tdci is same engine as fitted to mondeo or
different.
ford tdci engines - DP
No, the Mondeo (mk3) TDCi uses a 2.0 engine which is Ford's own design.

The 1.6 litre engine used in the Focus is a joint venture between Ford and Peugeot / Citroen. About all the two have in common is being four cylinder and running on diesel.

Not all Mondeo TDCi's are bad. In fact, when you consider the mk3 TDCi was consistently one of the top selling diesels in Europe, you could reasonably conclude only a tiny minority are. It's just when they go wrong, they don't do it by halves, and the support offered by Ford dealers and Ford customer services seems to be best described as "variable".

But to answer your question, the 1.6 is a completely different unit.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 16/11/2007 at 14:54

ford tdci engines - paulb {P}
I'd echo what DP said about mk3 Mondeo TDCis.

When they're running well, they are fantastic cars - nice to drive, quiet (despite what a well-known buyer's guide says), decent economy, roomy and cheap to buy used.

BUT

When they go wrong, they cost a bomb to fix (although to be fair, that is true of pretty much any modern diesel) and according to what some have reported on here, it won't necessarily be sorted under warranty, which in my view is a greater cause for concern than any underlying reliability issue.

The pumps/injectors etc also seem very sensitive to fuel quality, from what I read.

The engine the OP is looking at seems to be in about half the non-VW European makes these days, and I haven't noticed vast numbers of complaints about it, on here or elsewhere.

Edited by paulb {P} on 16/11/2007 at 15:11

ford tdci engines - shadyarea
thanks dp. i drive a 54 plate astra 1.7 cdti works van
good power delivery and economy when working proper
but has been back to main dealer a couple times because
of poor economy and smoking under acceleration both times
had to have new injecters and pump both times only coverd
30,000 miles so that has put me off a corsa or astra