Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Pendlebury
I have resisted the urge to buy a diesel because I think they pollute alot more than petrol engines cars (CO2 being the exception).
The new technology and EURO V legislation will fix all this and we are seeing the Blue Tec technology in MB's and bought from MB by VW to fit into their diesel ranges. The only downside is that you have to top it up with a solution to treat the exhaust.

But I have also just read the road test on Honda's i-DTEC and it explains how the new engine will be available in 150 & 180 bhp with an auto box on the 150bhp version.
According to the tests I have read it will be smoother, quieter and punchier than the current engine - but remains in 2.2l size. From what I read (I have only been a passenger in an Accord i-CTDi - and I had to ask if it was a diesel) the diesel engine is already very refined and punchy even when compared to BMW diesels.

So it looks like the new engine available next year could take diesel refinement to another level - although we also look forward to a new Subaru diesel boxer engine.

If it is as good as they all say then I think I may be delaying my planned purchase and buying a diesel auto Accord estate next year.

Will there be any other diesel engine that could compete in the forecast price range of £18K.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/11/2007 at 18:50

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Pendlebury
Sorry - I meant to add that the engine apparently will also exceed the EURO VI legislation.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/11/2007 at 18:50

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - cheddar
I know someone who has an X-Type 2.0 diesel that replaces an Accord 2.2 CTDi and they rate the Jag.

Reckon BMW are the current kings, the latest 118d (2.0) engine is an amazing blend of performance, economy and low CO2 (less that 120g/km so cheap VED as well as BiK). Though a Ford/PSA 2.0d is probably more refined.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/11/2007 at 18:51

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Robbie
Can you give a link to to the road test?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/11/2007 at 18:51

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - james86
I have an overnight loan of the new BMW 123d organised for next week. That is an engine I'm looking forward to driving!
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - GroovyMucker
On your price criterion, only the Avensis T180, I think - just over £19,000 at DtD but you get more toys and leather than you do with the Accord. I wonder if there will be an Accord coupe over here, and whether they'll do it as a diesel.

As has been said, what with the new Accord, Legacy and the (oldish) Avensis, a bumper year for a certain sort of driver.
--
Stevie
Lakland 44-02 Sunburst
Yamaha YTS-23
Mexican Telecaster
Alesis Micron
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - OldSkoOL
This type of engine has been out a couple of years with toyota in the avensis and rav4 and more recently the auris badged as the T180.

I have the T180 engine and its the 180bhp version and its called the D-CAT which exceeds euro emission standards. It has 300lb-ft of torque and is very quick yet has very low emissions and sounds absolutely nothing like a diesel engine its extremely quiet in its 2.2l form. Its extremely smooth a very nice to drive.

Diesel engines have plenty of maturing to do and theres a lot more the manufacturers can do with diesel. So yes i expect these engines to come to light with most manufacturers soon.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 14/11/2007 at 20:22

Without driving any bmw diesels i would say they have the best line up. Not sure on the emissions but i know the 335d twin turbo they have has 100bhp and 180nm more torque than my 180bhp and 400nm in my T180 yet it can achieve a similar economy.

I think thats pretty impressive for a car thats nearly as quick as an RS4.

update///
wow i've just checked and the 335d only emits 13g/km more than my T180 and its about 2secs quicker 0-60; that really is impressive engineering for a twin turbo diesel.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 14/11/2007 at 20:33

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - ijws15
BMW emissions levels. .

You need to remember that weight affects emissions and the 1 series is a small car. It may be sub 120g co2 but can you fit a 3 seater sofa in the back - er no! You can in the Honda and my (nearly four year old one) is 153g, it would be way less if it only weighed what a 1 series weighs.

Also the 335 only achieves those emissions on the test cycle where it does not use all the power, the engine won't do much more than idle - if you use it it is much worse, and again the 3 series shell is a little cramped for four adults!

Was speaking to a supplier the other week and his comment was never mind the diesels look at the co figures the petrol cars are achieving!

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Bill Payer
If there's an auto version of the Honda diesel coming then I'm sure that will do well - I almost certainly would have bought an Accord if auto diesel had been available, and if ever there was a car crying out for auto, then it's the FRV.

If they can also do an auto CRV (the 4WD might be a problem) then I would imagine that would be a very easy to drive car that would appeal to a lot of people.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - guygamps
Question for the forum, these CO2 measurements and other pollution measurements which are apparently getting to be so good from modern diesels, what driving conditions are they taken under.... in the last 2 weeks I have been virtually smoked out three times by the accelerating away from me of a diesel car in front, in each case the car was a modern "current model" from manufacturers well known for their diesel engines, Renault, Volkswagen, and BMW. The black soot they leave in the air behind them surely contains all sorts of damaging muck, and it makes me wonder about the apparent cleanliness of these modern designs, and the validity of the modern measuring techniques.

I would love someone to tell me I am wrong, but evidence still tells me diesel is dirty.

I am not a anti-diesel petrolhead though, I had 3 diesel cars in 10 years, and would be able to be convinced to go back to diesel.

I remain sceptical however of the claims being made regarding emmissions.

Guy
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
The current Honda and Toyota 2.2s are all excellent, so if Honda can make another leap forward then that is great news. The 2.2 150 in my Toyota is immensely more refined and smooth revving than the petrol(!) Mondeo I had before. I know Ford's run of the mill engines are no paragon of refinement and eagerness, but it was still a surprise to find it beaten hands down by a diesel, especially after driving diesel Mondeos too. The Honda was equally impressive, as I recall, streets ahead of a couple of 2.0 TDI VWs I drove.

I haven't driven one, but BMW's 530d does sound awesomely smooth at idle.

None of them seem to smoke in the manner of VWs, Fords, Renaults either.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Pugugly {P}
BMW's 530d does sound awesomely smooth at idle

(Nostalgic far away look on a former owner's face)
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - MichaelR
BMW's 530d does sound awesomely smooth at idle

It still sounds like a minicab when it shares the driveway with a 530i ;)
The current Honda and Toyota 2.2s are all excellent so if Honda can make another
leap forward then that is great news. The 2.2 150 in my Toyota is immensely
more refined and smooth revving .......... The Honda was equally impressive ......... streets ahead of a couple of 2.0 TDI VWs I drove.

A good CR diesel will often feel more refined than most 4 cyl petrol engines due to the torque and power not being dependant on revs. VAG PDs dont cut it in refinement terms.

I drove a 2.2 T180 Avensis about a year ago (my more comprehensive assessment is on here somewhere) and was mildly disapointed, I thought it would be that leap forward due to Piezzo injectors etc though was really no more refined (but for on the m/way due to overly high gearing) than my 2002 2.0 TDCi Mondeo which was then over 100k miles, it did not feel like 177 bhp and was torque shy below 2000rpm, the Mondeo pulling strongly from 1500 and like a train at 1800 where as the T180 was not fluffy below 2000 rather it really did not get going until 2000rpm. In my mind this, together with the excessively high gearing makes it very inflexible, for instance slowing to 50 on the motorway needs 4th gear requiring two down and two up changes to get back up to cruise. The pull from 2000 to 3000 is impressive though a 2.2 Mondeo (or X-Type) (which on paper produce the same torque and a little less power) on the road feel much more lively due to the low down flexibility.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
>>A good CR diesel will often feel more refined than most 4 cyl petrol engines due to the >>torque and power not being dependant on revs. VAG PDs dont cut it in refinement terms.
Agreed, but that's not what I was getting at. What I meant was that my Toyota diesel will rev more smoothly and eagerly through say 1500-4000rpm than the petrol Ford ever did. Above 4000 is irrelevant as the petrol Mondeo simply sounded thrashed and unhappy above that speed, with little gain in performance. The fact that in the Avensis I don't need 4000rpm, as it is illegal in every gear bar first and second, is an added advantage :-)
I drove a 2.2 T180 Avensis about a year ago (my more comprehensive assessment is
on here somewhere)

Remember it well, as I read it around the time I was considering the Avensis. It was a useful appraisal.
for instance slowing to 50 on the motorway needs 4th gear requiring two down and
two up changes to get back up to cruise.

I'm very surprised by that statement, as I have generally found (in my 2.2 150) that acceleration in 6th, though sluggish, is more than enough to keep up with the flow, whilst dropping to 5th feels better, but generally means I can't use the acceleration available as something else will be holding me up. The chance to use the performance available in 4th just does not occur in ebb and flow motorway traffic. On the rare occasions that the lane opens up, 5th is more than capable of providing the shove to take me past slower traffic.
>> two up changes to get back up to cruise.
I'm very surprised by that statement as I have generally found (in my 2.2 150)
that acceleration in 6th though sluggish is more than enough to keep up with the
flow >>

My Mondeo gives about 31mph/1000 rpm in top hence 50 is about 1600rpm at which revs it stomps away where as the T180's 6th is around 40mph/1000 (good for CO2 and BiK figures and perhaps continental cruising though not UK roads) however it does not pull strongly below 2000rpm which is around 80mph so even at 70 the response in 6th is weak and 50mph definately needs 4th.

I think the 150 has a lower 6th gear and may also be a little stronger at low revs.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Number_Cruncher
>>due to the torque and power not being dependant on revs

What!? By using common rail, does this magically enable engines to break the law of physics?

Number_Cruncher
>>due to the torque and power not being dependant on revs
What!? By using common rail does this magically enable engines to break the law of
physics?

Come on NC you get the point, perhaps the word "so" judiciously placed would have helped though the fact is a diesel produces its max torque and max power at lower revs.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - ijws15
Strange how no-one worries about things they can't see. Didn't they replace the lead in petrol with benzene and isn't that just as dangerous?
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - nortones2
Benzene is known to be dangerous, and there is no doubt that exposure beyond certain limits can cause disease. Black smoke is mostly comprised of large particles, not the lung penetrating ultra fines that all engines (spark ignition DI especially) emit. The concentration of ultrafines cannot be guessed as a proportion of PM10. Its because the measurement of ultrafines has lagged that these invisible particles, the health effects of which are uncertain, are not tackled. Except in diesels with DPF. So, if diesel smoke at ultrafine level is harmful, why are petrol engines exempt?
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Roly93
Strange how no-one worries about things they can't see. Didn't they replace the lead in
petrol with benzene and isn't that just as dangerous?

Yes, I cannot understand why people get so hung up on a bit of soot for heavens sake. I have been far more bothered whilst driving, by stinking worn out or poorly maintaned petrol cars.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - motorprop
That Beemer 203 bhp 2 litre new diesel , over 100 bhp per litre - can somebody confirm what models that can be had in ??

Can you get in a 3 series coupe ?

Just as in illustration, I also run a 1986 USA Ford F250 pick up with a 6.9 V8 diesel engine ( made by International but a Ford factory fit ) . That engine is rated at 160 bhp - we've come a long way in 20 years .
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - james86
That Beemer 203 bhp 2 litre new diesel over 100 bhp per litre - can
somebody confirm what models that can be had in ??

Just the 1 series hatch and coupe for now. Hopefully it will come out in the 3 series before too long.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - George Porge
It seem quite bizarre that a diesel thread has no mention of economy :o/ It seem to me that the only way to meet the ever tightening emissions regs it to kill the economy benefits of diesel engines.
I have found that in my 2.2 180 D-Cat engine with the economy.

It seems that even though my engine is quick it will only do on average 41mpg, at best 52mpg on a single run but thats extremely hard to achieve.

The BMW twin turbos can achieve 40mpg and a similar powered BMW achieves a better average MPG of around 48mpg.

So is it because my D-Cat engine a DPNR particulate filter and NOx adsorber-catalyst unit which gets rid of the black soot. Probably but i'm willing to accept that.

When i bought this engine i bought it because it was clean(er) than all other diesels and probably still is; as quoted "Toyota D-CAT produces the lowest harmful emissions of any modern diesel, surpassing EURO IV standards".

Whether this is still true i dont know. Before i wasn't a fan of diesels because they were quite dirty and to say the least noisy and not very appealing and not very involving to drive.

The D-Cat engine changed my perspective. A clean diesel, very pleasing and quiet to drive (no diesel clatter) and an impressive amount of power is very obvious. The handling is also great with its new rear suspension in the auris.

I came from a supercharged CTS which was the complete opposite of the D-Cat but i wanted that change and the D-cat isn't really that much slower and has easier more usable power day to day.

I'm v.happy with my choice
It seem quite bizarre that a diesel thread has no mention of economy :o/ It
seem to me that the only way to meet the ever tightening emissions regs it
to kill the economy benefits of diesel engines.

I think you're absolutely right there. I went from a Audi a4 Tdi 130 to a new A4 2.0 TDI 140 which is Euro 4 compliant. On paper the two cars are almost identical in fuel consumption terms, but in reality the new 2.0 TDI really seems to struggle with fuel consumption driven identically. I think the more emissions gubbins they put on diesels the more the fuel consumption gap will close with the innefficient petrol engine.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - 659FBE
I think the age of the "good" diesel car is now over. Any Euro Cat IV engine and beyond will show a reduction in engine efficiency due mainly (but not entirely) to the requirement to expend additional energy burning the soot out of the filter.

Add to this the maintenance overhead usually required for the soot trap and the diesel advantage is as good as gone.

I'd better look after mine - I have one of the last of the Cat III engines (VAG 1.9 PD).

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - ForumNeedsModerating
I think the age of the "good" diesel car is now over...

Surely though, the Euro 1V emission standard diesel engine is in its first incarantion, just like any new statndard or engine 'type' the technology & efficiency will increase as time passes? Would you have said the same of the pre-turbo diesel engine, when compared to the first turbo-diesel - I'm sure there would be pros & cons between them too.

Any Euro Cat IV engine and beyond will show a reduction in engine efficiency due mainly (but not entirely) to the requirement to expend additional energy burning the soot out of the filter.

But how much more energy is that? From my limited knowledge, I gather it's an ocassional function controlled by ECU program - does blowing this out whilst drving really use so much more fuel? Hardly seems credible to me - how do the new BMW 4 cylinder diesels give such good (advertised) fuel economy then?

Add to this the maintenance overhead usually required for the soot trap and the diesel advantage is as good as gone.

Even the venerable VAG 1.9 cat 111 has maintenance costs - the oft quoted cambelt change every 40K miles for example. Again I see increasing R&D bringing down the frequency & cost of this - as happens now in nearly all engine maintenance requirements & frequencies.

I've had several different species of cars with the 1.9 PD engine & agree it's an economical engine, but hardly the last word in flexibility below 2K rpm or quiet refinement.

Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Avant
"the new 2.0 TDI really seems to struggle with fuel consumption driven identically"

Interesting, Roly, as mine doesn't seem to, and it's done only 4,000 miles, so should get better still.

Previous Mercedes B200 CDI - 2.0, 140 bhp - 36 mpg in town, 43 cruising - average 39.

Current Golf 2.0 TDI estate - also 2.0, 140 bhp - 40 mpg in town, 54 cruising - average 47.

In fact the Mercedes' figures are exactly the same as the one before that - A4 Avant 2.5 TDI of blessed memory.

I suspect VAG PD engines are mostly above average for economy, but maybe they vary from car to car?
"the new 2.0 TDI really seems to struggle with fuel consumption driven identically"
Interesting Roly as mine doesn't seem to and it's done only 4 000 miles so
should get better still.

Thats the irritating part about it, I have spoken to A3 and Passat drivers with the same engine who say their fuel consumption is okay. I have coplained several times to the dealer who on the last attempt, changed the MAF sensor, which made no difference at all.
Cruising at 75-80 on the motorway I struggle to get much more than 40 mpg. The 1.9 PD engine would have been doing well over 50 mpg driven the same way.
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - Mr.Tee43
My 1.9 130 PD gets 57 mpg easily on a good fast cruise !
Are they about to be the new Diesel kings ? - 659FBE
I wouldn't say my 130 PD will "easily" get 57 mpg but it's possible. It's fitted into a biggish car (Skoda Superb) and I did very nearly achieve this figure in France with the cruise control set to 70 mph. On my car, the fuel "computer" is about 5% optimistic and my figures are always "brim to brim".

So, together with its formidable towing abilities, I'm well pleased with it so far. I have yet to find a 2.0 litre version to match it though and subjectively, the performance is little different, although the delivery lacks the urge of the 1.9 engine. Perhaps they fitted a larger turbocharger with more inertia.