transport cafe - bell boy
Does anybody remember or is it still there? the 'greasy sausage' just off the M1 somewhere near junction 30?
I seem to recollect it had a big sausage on the roof of the mobile but static cafe
Once went there about 2 in the morning and it was so busy there was a long queue
transport cafe - Robin
Have a look at this site, should tell you:

www.transportcafe.co.uk/truck_stops_transport_cafe...l

ive looked there already robin thanks, i wonder if i dreamt this sausage place?
transport cafe - FotheringtonThomas
the 'greasy sausage' just off the M1
somewhere near junction 30?

Dunno. There's a "Super Sausage" just south of Towcester on the A5, though, which is very good.
transport cafe - Lud
Don't remember that one bb but in my hitch-hiking youth I kept alive in a lot of them. 2 sausages two eggs chips and peas bread and butter tea no thanks coffee urrrgh tea then, 3/6d, bit of bread pudding too bit gritty here and too much allspice...

The good ones were very good though, and used to put butter on your peas. It would be illegal now of course.
transport cafe - Baskerville
The good ones were very good though and used to put butter on your peas.
It would be illegal now of course.

Indeed. Peas are a serious choking hazard.
transport cafe - Altea Ego
I get really pead off by that..

On one hand some of them are so vile they wouldnt even get 1 star in the listeria weekly, to ones that should have 5 egon roney stars.

There is a cracker somwehere in the wilds of lincs - (a46?) where I literally thought my stomache was going to burst becuase I pigged out so much. I knew i didnt have room for the chocolate and orange pudding and custard, but it raped me.
------
< Ulla>
transport cafe - helicopter
There used to be one on the Great North Road somewhere around Stilton which was excellent.

In the days before the M25 was built I used to have to drive right through London from Croydon on my way up north to Northumberland with SWMBO to see family and it was a nine hour plus journey , very little motorway .

We would get away at five to cross London before the rush and stop at the cafe about seven for full english breakfast and the papers amongst the truckers , our Vauxhall Viva in the car park dwarfed by the Fodens, Atkinsons and Thames Traders .

It says how long ago it was that it only took two hours to get right across London and up as far as that.

Last time I made the journey , three hours after leaving home at seven I was in Yorkshire and I was in North Northumberland for a one o'clock Lunch.
transport cafe - Lud
A good word for the M25 helicopter.

I trust you had your cruise control set dead on 70 the whole way?

:o)
transport cafe - helicopter

70 the whole way?

But of course Lud old chap ...... :0)

I've got a good word for the M25 - unfortunately the Mods won't let me use it.....
transport cafe - valhalla
There was a "flying sausage" at jcn 28 (mansfield/alfreton) which was very popular.
Could that be the one?
Its been gone a while now, there`s a new slip road for the motorway now which has taken the layby away.
thanks valhalla,that must be it,yes it will be 15 years plus since i was there, but couldnt get it out of my head (a record there somewhere)
transport cafe - rg
I used to work in the airline business and eat at swanky places some of them seriously expensive in Scandinavia. Oh, and loads of client entertaining in the UK...

Now I work for myself, I eat at truckstops, and the food, particularly the breakfasts, are just wonderful. Even posh places cannot compete with Jack's Hill Cafe on the A5, and The Stibbington Diner on the A1. Oh, and the J23 truckstop, M1, and...

r
transport cafe - Malcolm_L
In reply to Helicopter.

Stibbington cafe?

Still there last week and still popular judging by the HGV's outside. I used to frequent it a while back when I was up at Sibson and it was excellent value.

Edited by Malcolm_L on 15/11/2007 at 00:27

transport cafe - FP
Properly called the Stibbington Diner. Yes, it appears to be hugely popular. Since the new flyover was constructed almost next to it access from the northbound side of the A1 is much easier. Some HGV drivers avoid the overnight charge by parking along the Old North Road.

How do I know? I'm up at the GF's house most weekends, a mere stone's throw away.