S-reg diesel - Getting harder to engage 2nd gear - Vinnie
I have a S-reg diesel estate 5 speed manual on 125,000 miles on original clutch.

Over the last 500 miles it has been getting progressively harder to get into 2nd, particularily when coming down the box. Other gears engage OK.

This stiffness is not all the time, 9 out of 10 changes feel normal.

The gearstick feels rather dead when changing into 2nd. Firstly I feeling some resistance on the gear stick and then having to pull a bit harder to get it engaged, not the usual smooth motion.
It is still perfectly driveable.

The bite point of the clutch has not moved and footpedal action feels 100% normal - even on a 'stiff' gearchange.

I had a garage change the gearbox oil 3000 miles ago as a routine service.

Any ideas please.

Thank you, Vinnie.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 12:29

S-reg diesel - Getting harder to engage 2nd gear - L'escargot
The gearstick feels rather dead when changing into 2nd. Firstly I feeling some resistance on
the gear stick and then having to pull a bit harder to get it engaged
not the usual smooth motion.

I find a lot of gearboxes are like that. Moving the gear lever in two definite stages ~ first into neutral and then into second ~ seems to alleviate the problem. You have to feel when it's ready to go into second from neutral rather than trying to go straight into second from another gear. The problem is exacerbated by rapid changes. If everything else is OK then at 125,000 then I personally would try to be patient and live with it.
--
L\'escargot.
S-reg diesel - Getting harder to engage 2nd gear - DP
I have the same car with 137k on the clock, and on mine 2nd gear can be a little stiff on downchanges, and also on upchanges when the oil is cold. It has never got any worse though, and I just put it down to wear and tear.

The gearbox on a Mondeo TD does work quite hard for a living - not the most flexible or muscular of engines, bless it.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX