Wanted MPV for less than £3k - wazza
Friend has just written off his cavalier, his fault. He is now looking for a MPV which can seat 7 people. Also need a large space to carry large amount of luggage when there are no passangers.

We had a look at the Ford galaxy, seat alambhra amd vw sharan. He wants a mpv that has done less than 80k miles. Naturally with his budget he is having difficulty.

Can you suggest any other MPV we might have missed. Already had a look at Zafira and sedona.

Also which website is best for finding cars apart from autotrader and exchange and mart

thanks in advance

Edited by wazza on 09/11/2007 at 09:59

Wanted MPV for less than £3k - ForumNeedsModerating
If he's perhaps a bit adventurous, the imported Toyota Lucida (usually specced as 2.2 diesel auto) may offer value without the starship mileage you'd have to endure with a Galaxy/Sharan for that price (if available). The Lucida is like a slightly skinnier version of the (older shaped) Previa.
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - local yokel
Honda Shuttle - HJ's choice IIRC. Check the CBC
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - bell boy
you want to warn your friend wazza that he is wearing blinkers at £3000 80,000 mile and setting himself up to buy a clocked worn out private sale.
Tell him to take the blinkers off look for a well maintained example with history low owners ideally used as a second car and mileage limit of about 125,000,then something half decent might turn up.
Be very careful giving full support as these things bite if you choose wrongly
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - R75
I 2nd that. We have been running one for over 18 months and love it. That is if you can find one in your budget!!!
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - normd2
IMVHO you don't want to touch a 2.2 Toyota diesel with anything less than a 20' barge pole and then only to prod it to make sure it's dead. Go for the puka full size 2.4 petrol Previa and you will not be disappointed ;go for the auto, manual does not really 'suit' these - fuel consumption overall is better than the diesel btw. for <£3k you'll get a P, R or even S reg with good history in good condition. Check out Autotrader.
I have told him to widen his horizon. He will be lucky to get what he is asking for. Due to his low mileage i suggested petrol version which are cheaper to buy. But he is firm with his criteria and probably change it later when he realises he is on mission impossible :-)
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - normd2
ok it's not less than 80k miles but if e-bay Item number: 230188956699 was a bit closer to me I'd be giving it the once over - bet it goes for around 3k.
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - tyro
7 year old Citroen Synergie?
10 year old Toyota Previa?
10 year old Honda Shuttle?
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - bignick2
I'd go for the Previa. Pretty comfortable 8 adult seats and luggage space. With rear seats folded up the load space is about 6ft long and 4 ft wide and you still have 5 seats.

UK spec is probably best - it is slightly larger and better supported by the dealer network. The grey import Lucida/Emina is actually slightly smaller all round although often better specced and available as a TD.
The 2.4 petrol / auto which I have is fine to drive and not too juicy given the size.
The single side door is sometimes a nuisance and by modern MPV standards the interior is a bit sparse.

Usual bulletproof Toyota reliability (touch wood)
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - stackman
The Toyota Lucida/Estima is a great choice except for the fact that the 2.2td engine is prone to head gasket failure.

Our Estima "party bus" served us well as a family car for about 18 months, the interior was spacious and robust and the bodywork immaculate for a ten year old car but in that time the head went twice.

First time the dealer replaced it under warrany but the last time the head and block were damaged so we effectively scrapped the car. The failure is due to a poorly designed cooling system and it is recommended that the radiator be regularly flushed. We did this but it still blew.

Others downside are that they need to have an oil and filter change every 3000 miles, the turbo needs to be simmered after a long run to avoid carbon build up in the bearings and 25mpg is the best you can hope for.

The Previa then with the 2.4 petrol engine would be a good choice.
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - SpamCan61 {P}
By '7 people' does the OP mean 7 adults? I've had 4 adults and 3 kids in SWMBO's Zafira on occasions, not too bad room wise, no space for luggage as well though - but then that wasn't the original requirement. Should get a leggy 1.8 for 3K these days I should think.
Thanks for the replies. I will let him learn that he will have problems finding what he wants. he needs to widen his horizon, either for for a high mileage and/or go for petrol.

Will let you know what he decides next week
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - mlj
A mate with four kids has run an R reg Lucida for seven years now without a hitch. Not sure how versatile it is with regard to folding rear seats. Quite a few low mileage Honda Shuttles around at £3K or just under. There's one down the road from me looks nearly new with only 58K under its wheels. Petrol auto though.
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - gordonbennet
Kia Sedona are in price bracket , are huge and from what i've learned 'on the job' stand up to taxi use.

2.9 diesel turbo, built like a 4 x 4 have a look at the chassis.

SWMBO used to use Previa's as company cars years ago and need a tanker on tow, other than that in auto form one of her all time favourite vehicles.

Have to agree abouy the grey import models, wouldn't touch one.
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - stuartl
DONT touch a grey import!!!!

I have experience of the trouble these things can throw up due to living next door but one to a garage who sold purely jap imports. They were raided and at least one of the partners served time i believe.

No history, uncheckable origins.......stolen?? write off??? etc loaded insurance premium, parts problems etc etc
Wanted MPV for less than £3k - bell boy
i like bongos
they are imports
but i agree in all other respects stuarti
silly little things like import window side glasses are different as an examperple