Bleeding Land rover brakes - Richard Turpin
1956 LWB petrol. Just changed the rubbers on the master cylinder and am having real difficulty bleeding the brakes. I'm told this is always a problem with these Land Rovers. If anyone knows of any trick which would help, I would much appreciate it.
Bleeding Land rover brakes - M.M
Richard,

Much discussed in LR circles these LWB brakes. I only ever have SWBs so haven't direct experience but understand there is an extra procedure to follow.

I have heard comments about backing the brake shoes right off before bleeding to start with a minimal wheel cylinder volume. Also about placing the vehicle on a slope to assist the passage of air bubbles.

Are you using a pressure bleeding kit? They do help.

Richard Hall is the chap to know this I think.

David W
Bleeding Land rover brakes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
My dreaded S2a could only be bled successfully by raising the front of the vehicle until the end of the master cylinder was horizontal to get rid of the huge air bubble in the end. Even then you had to write nicely to the brakes a week or so before you needed to use them.
PS to DW it is still doing sterling service on the bluebell railway!
David and Andrew, Many thanks for your advice. Will try both suggestions.
Richard.
Bleeding Land rover brakes - Richard Hall
It has been suggested that the easiest way to bleed the brakes on a LWB Landie is to turn the vehicle upside-down. Failing that....

For each brake in turn, remove the brake drum, slacken the adjusters right off and use a large G clamp or similar to push the brake shoes right back into the cylinders and keep them there while you bleed the brakes. The problem with these vehicles is that due to the design of the wheel cylinders, you can get an air bubble trapped behind the piston - by pushing the pistons back as far as they will go, you don't give the air bubble a chance to form.

If you still have problems, clamp each brake hose in turn and try pressing the brake pedal. This will tell you where the problem lies.
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Bleeding Land rover brakes - steve paterson
Back in the 60's I'm sure I read in a Land rover workshop manual that in the event of brake bleeding difficulty the vehicle should be driven over rough ground and allowed to stand overnight, then bled again. Richard's advice about clamping the brake shoes is good. One manufacturer of this era (can't remember who) recommended taking the backplates off and turning them upside down before bleeding.
Bleeding Land rover brakes - Alyn Beattie
Hi All

Sorry I am a bit late on this one. Like DW I have only had SWB machines. The trick of raising the front of the vehicle until the resevoir is level certainly works. I like the idea of clamping the shoes. Must remember that one. As far as clamping the brake pipes, as far as I know all Landrovers of this age had solid pipes. Though I stand to be corrected.
Alyn Beattie
In fact I have now done it. Richard's suggestion of clamping the pipes, all 3, resulted in the pedal being hard. Releasing each in turn showed the air to be in the front 2 slave cylinders. Bleeding each in turn by stamping on the pedal has worked. Many thanks to all.