440 and 480 engines - please help! - dan
Hi everyone,
seriously important question:
Is there any difference between the 440 turbo head and the 480 turbo head. (Both of which are classed as part of the B17FT renault engine and they sure look the same - like that means a lot!).

For example if there are any diffences in compression between the two car engines, would the head have been modified as part of this difference?

I only ask because l'm getting a scrapper to strip out and healthcheck a 440 turbo head and cam on monday which will eventually end up in my 480 turbo. I don't want to end up with a useless head and £x lighter!

Of course l should have done my homework first, l blame the sun!
Please help, l am even willing to accept hunches, and educated guesses.

Regards,
dan
440 and 480 engines - please help! - M.M
Dan,

I don't know these engines well and wouldn't like to guess but....

In the trade data book it says the 440/480 Turbo engines are the same between those models but there are two variants according to year.

'88-'92 is a B18FT and '90-'95 is a B19FTM.

Only 2bhp power increase on the later type and everything else looks the same.

David W
David,
Thanks for your reply.

Apparently the B17FTM (confused about the B18 and B19 as this would indicate larger capacity than was ever available for the 480 turbo) was a non cat-convertor model for the italian market.

Still l have now abandoned the 440 possibility until l get a definitive answer. (Unlikely, more likely to source a 480 turbo engine first!) The internet must have done wonders for salvage companies.

Regards,
dan
440 and 480 engines - please help! - M.M
Dan,

I don't get to see these engines much so took the info from my trade tech data book. There is just a possibility it is wrong but it refers to most of the 1721cc engines as B18 variants. The only exception is that B19FTM of the later 1721cc turbo.

For each vehicle they are quite clear that the size is 1721cc so they are not claiming a larger capacity...just that the number designation might seem at odds with your understanding.

David W
440 and 480 engines - please help! - Dizzy {P}
Dan,
Have you tried asking a Volvo main dealer's spares dept to look in their parts lists? They should be able to tell you if the part numbers of the 440/480 heads are the same or different. The parts list may also have a 'succession' note saying that the 480 head can be fitted to a 440 engine.
From all my background reading the B** number does refer to capacity. It has been rebored to 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 in various guises throughout its applications. I think these were used for 440/460 derivatives but never for the 480 turbo which always had a 1721cc engine as you say.
There was a prototype of a ~2.0 litre 480 turbo but the line ended before it made production. (What a shame that would have been a proper performance car) Perhaps this is where the different interpretations arise?
Either way, l panicked and cancelled the original order. However l have just ordered a proper 480 turbo head from Volvospares-uk.
Why l didn't go there in the first place l don't know (ignorance maybe?)
Anyhow thanks for responding, if anyone's interested l will post an update on my progress in a week or so.

Many regards,
dan