2000 'S' Turbo belt change / tyre change - pleiades
I have a Forester S Turbo registered in June 2000 which has covered just 40,000 miles - the handbook shows the timing belt should be replaced at 4 yrs/48,000 altho' I have read elsewhere 3 yrs/36,000 miles - the original belt was replaced in Nov 03 at 25,500 miles so in theory is now due be replaced again. I really wonder if a belt needs to be changed after only 15,000 miles/48 months however a local Subaru dealer, the sort that also sells combine harvesters etc., has quoted £340 inclvse parts/vat for a 12,000 miles service and belt change which sounds fairly reasonable and a lot less than a blown engine but are there any other bits i.e pullies/tensioners that should be changed at the same time?

More generally I shall soon be needing some new tyres and as the Forester is not particularly heavy I would prefer to fit normal saloon road tyres than the stock 216/60/16V Yokohama Geolanders (Geosquealers) which a squidgy mild off-road tyre but there is a much bigger selection available in 225/55 which about same radius and no clearance problems but would fitting these count as a modification as far as my insurers are concerned?

Any opinions appreciated

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/11/2007 at 11:53

2000 'S' Turbo belt change / tyre change - Aprilia
Ideally the belt should be changed (they deteriorate through age as well as mileage). I reality Subaru's are not known for breaking belts, so you could probably leave it another couple of years - your choice.

When the belt is off the tensioner should be checked - they sometimes do go weak. Cost of new tensioner is £120.

Price for service + belt sounds very good.

The Geolander tyres, like any tyre of that type, are not too great on-road. I would change to a road tyre. I suspect insurers would not worry too much, but if it were me I would ring them and let them know because it IS a change from OE spec.
2000 'S' Turbo belt change / tyre change - pleiades
Many thanks re cambelt, I have heard before that unusual for Subarus to break a belt but on the Murray Walker principle I think I will change it sooner rather than later!