'05 1.9TD. Tyre speed ratings - mix or not to mix? - Infanteer
Our 2005 1.9 Diesel Galaxy was hit at low speed by a motorcylist who was cut up while attempting to switch lanes in slow moving traffic on the M1 last weekend. He managed to lay the bike down and slid under our tow bar which seems to have taken most of the impact.

Two questions for the experts out there please: where are we best taking the car to for an inspection to ascertain whether or not there has been any hidden damage to the chassis, tow bar, running gear etc? Is our Ford dealer as good a place as any or do we need something more sophisticated than they can provide?

Secondly, when we had the car checked initially by ATS Tyres they pointed out that whoeveer replaced our tyres last ( actually a combination of said Ford dealer - front axle - and another well known tyre centre - rear axle - had managed to leave us with a mish mash of different speed gradings on the four tyres which ATS maintain is potentially dangerous. Internet searches to get to the truth of this have so far failed to provide any adequate answers. Can anyone help, do I have a come back against the companies that fitted the tyres without due regard to the speed gradings?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2007 at 18:29

'05 1.9TD. Tyre speed ratings - mix or not to mix? - bell boy
i would certainly take the car to an independant body shop for a free assesment of any damage (they will know where to look)
as regards tyres i wouldnt want different speed rated tyres on my car and depending what is indeed fitted could make your car uninsured and not confirming to construction and use,why the tyre people didnt get this right at fitment stage seems sloppy to the extreme to me when they could use it to sell you up,i guess they fitted what they had in stock that was gathering dust
'05 1.9TD. Tyre speed ratings - mix or not to mix? - Aprilia
Its not 'ideal' to have different speed ratings on the same car, but provided that the tyres are the correct size and the speed ratings are AT LEAST as per the manufacturers spec for your model then its legal. There is nothing wrong or illegal with fitting a higher speed rating than spec'd by the vehicle manufacturer. Fitting a lower speed rating would be illegal though.