Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - SlidingPillar
Not in technical as it's not car specific and the questions are a bit general. Answers probably apply to lots of cars.

It's undoubtedly a nice thing to have, but two basic questions, both of which are influenced by the fact I don't use the car every day, and some of the weekdays it does get used, the running time is short, ie not properly warmed up. Weekends are different.

In what I'm thinking of getting (110 Defender), it's roughly a 1000 pounds extra. One could reduce the figure by saying, no need to buy a sunroof, but actually, it's not that great, and I've got my doubts I'll bother with a sunroof whatever I do. So is air con worth 1000 pounds?

Usage. I know you need to exercise air con to keep the seals in good order, but with my pattern of usage, and the fact that in spring or autumn the ambient temperature does not need modifying, am I likely to have problems? Or is it one of those things that a switch on and couple of minutes running is as good as a longer spell?

I might go and annoy the dealer on Saturday.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2007 at 12:41

Air conditioning - Ruperts Trooper
Air-conditioning doesn't just cool the air coming in, it reduces excess humidity as well. This is why it should be left on all year - which has the added benefit of keeping the seals lubricated which in turn keeps the lubricant inside the system improving component longevity.

All my air-conditioned cars have also had sunroofs - both are mandatory for me, now.

Only you can say if it's worth £1000 to you - as you're asking for other's opinions, I'd suggest it isn't worth that for you.
Air conditioning - bell boy
can you not borrow one of these for the weekend and see if you want it?
got to say once you catch the aircon bug cars arent the same without it,especially as even in quiet villages you can be stuck in a sweltering jam at 4.00pm on a balmy night
i use my car twice a week on average,once to do a weekly shop the other to go to work in it saturdays,its nearly always parked up the rest of the week.

Edited by bell boy on 02/11/2007 at 12:36

Air conditioning - Roger Jones
I sometimes think that A/C is as little used as it is much desired. There's the "must be fully loaded" mentality; there's the rational "easier to re-sell" consideration; there's the daily reality of "it increases fuel consumption, so I don't use it very often" and the consequent "it's horribly expensive to repair". I have cars with it and without it; I hardly notice the difference, and I was happy to buy one car without it, knowing that there would be less to go wrong and be expensive to repair.

In the cars with A/C, my approach is use it or lose it, so it's on all the time.
Air conditioning - Clk Sec
Sounds like your car usage is similar to my own.

I?ve owned a Mazda6 for the past five years and the air conditioning has been (clutching wooden desk) completely trouble free, but I tend to run it all the time.

Wouldn't be without it.

Clk Sec

Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - OldSock
I think the 'goes wrong if not used regularly' argument is a bit over-stated.

Are all cars languishing in car compounds/showrooms/forecourts/supermarkets started regularly, just to keep the aircon in order?
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - bell boy
OldSock one of the first things you check on a car before you purchase it to retail on is the fact that the aircon works if its fitted as totherwise big bills follow
I should perhaps add, I do like the superior demisting that aircon offers. No experience of this as a driver, but I rather think it would combat the misting up, that using de-icer can cause.

Of course, something I like, but think is too expensive could be used as a haggling point.

Noted the argument about 'fully loaded' but some options on these vehicles detract from the usability ie sill 'protection' bars. If grounding was a real risk to you, you can get strong sills (non-stuctural and just bolt on). Thus making it less likely you'll hit something to start with. Likewise the two rear seats. I'm not having them, and if, a few years down the line one wanted them, if the car was otherwsie what was wanted, a well known trim and seating supplier makes them as a add on anyway.

I really am in two minds, hence throwing it open here, as at this point, all views are welcomed.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - L'escargot
It probably depends on how much you feel the heat. As someone who prefers too cool to too hot I would hate to have to go back to a car that didn't have aircon. (I'd also much prefer to have a sunroof than not, for the increased airflow through the car that it gives when tilted open.) I don't suscribe to the view that aircon has to be used constantly, particularly as my car's handbook recommends turning it off when it's not required. I accept that aircon will help to demist a windscreen, but it can also have the drawback (when not in use) in cool weather of actually promoting misting because of the residual moisture in the air passageways. However, by attacking mist as soon as ever it starts to form using the heater (the cold setting is OK) to give maximum airflow to screen only, misting of the windscreen shouldn't really be a problem.

Some cars that are parked all day tend to mist up in the afternoon when it starts to go cool but this effect can be minimised by parking the car such that it faces the afternoon sun.
--
L\'escargot.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - nb857
Had my car 5 years and am doing less milage each year. I have a finite supply of money and each time fuel goes up, I drive less. Anyway. Since the end of April 02 when I bought the car it has been on all the time except for about 40 minutes once. An air con engineer told me that the newer seals are much better than before and don't require the system to be turned on to lube the seals. I've never had any bother with mine though.

One question, "an industry insider" tells me ther is a 1,000% mark up on optional extras. Air con is about £1000. So why do they charge £1,500 for a replacement compressor?
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - Artic
No expert here, but since reading about how the air-con gas can damage (rot-away?) seals if left unused, I do now use my air-con at least weekly at all times of year. Maybe I should leave it on all the time but I weigh up the fact that it costs extra in fuel.

The other factor is the auto-trade encourage you have the Air-Con system cleaned and bacteria out every so often, and the refigerant changed. I can't remember the recommended times... mine's 5 years old and never been done and still cold. And Air-Con can be a source of technical problem threads on many a forum. Also Air Con systems seem complicated, and that part takes up the biggest chunk of pages in the official factory repair manual for my car anyway.

Although sun-roofs also worry me as on VW forums there tends to be regular topics where people find them the source of leaks in to the cabin and related trouble. Good luck.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - jc2
My air-con was still working reasonably well after 7 years(used regularly)but having had it cleaned and re-charged,it is even better.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - Old Navy
No experience
of this as a driver but I rather think it would combat the misting up
that using de-icer can cause.

I believe that aircon systems shut down below about 5deg C. I leave my aircon on all the time, the extra fuel used is probably less than that used to accelerate up a motorway slip road once a journey. And the "uses too much fuel" brigade probably dont use their headlamps for the same reason. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 03/11/2007 at 10:48

Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - Clanger
Firstly, Mr Morgan, a Defender is not a car, it's a utility vehicle. I venture to suggest that a true hairy-bottomed Defender driver should have nothing to do with air-con in the user-hostile environment that is the Land Rover cockpit. In any case, can't you just swing the windscreen open and get a draught and have flies in your teeth like a cyclist?

Air-con in a Defender? No. Save your dosh.
Annoy the dealer? By all means. A Defender salesman deserves all he gets.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Ah but you see, until this year, Landrovers had the front vents in the bulkhead. Super things, and with them, I'd never have thought of air conditioning.

As for annoying the dealer, I shall. I want one with a white roof - which they say is not made in County spec. Trouble is, there was a report on News 24 featuring one - rolling off the production line. So I know it is possible. Practical as it does not get as hot, and so few are two tone, you can always find it in a car park. I'm not always that hot on remembering where I left things!

Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - bell boy
i once had one of these in camouflage colours and lost it :-(
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - Kiwi Gary
For the past 20 years, aircon has been on my list of "must-haves" second just below seat belts simply for the demisting capability. I like having a clear view all around me even with a full load of passengers on a wet day. In my Australian Ford of 13 years ago, it was hard-wired so that setting heater controls to de-mist automatically brought the aircon on line. Max heat plus aircon fair ripped the mist off the inside of all the glass. Also excellent for drying ones clothes having been caught out in the rain on the way to the car.

Note for nb857 :- Since I started reading this forum, I have been continually horrified by the prices that you in U.K. have to pay. Cost to replace the aircon compressor in my Maxima was equivalent to 425 pounds installed, gassed up, and running.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - nb857
Note for nb857 :- Since I started reading this forum I have been continually horrified
by the prices that you in U.K. have to pay. Cost to replace the aircon
compressor in my Maxima was equivalent to 425 pounds installed gassed up and running.

We had a compressor on a 1997 farm tractor at work 2 years ago, £1,500!

You don't want to know what I was charged for a genuine exhaust pipe for my 1.4 litre shopping trolley last monday. I'm still in shock
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - henry k
You don't want to know what I was charged for a genuine exhaust pipe for my 1.4 litre shopping trolley last monday.
I'm still in shock

>>
Me too - a quote from a main dealer £845 for a Yaris exhaust
( stated many months ago that it is going to need replacing soon)
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - craig-pd130
Had two cars with aircon (Volvo & VW) over the past 7 years, and I never leave it on all the time.

However, every couple of weeks or so I do give it a full "cycle" -- 10 mins of full cold followed by full hot.

Never had any problems.
Air conditioning option - car not used regularly. - DP
The Mondeo's air-con comes on automatically whenever the air direction control is set to screen, so it tends to get run for a few minutes most mornings until the screen is nice and dry. Air-con is a superb demisting tool.

In general driving, it's great on those humid, sticky July or August days when you're stuck on the M25 in rush hour, but otherwise I actually prefer having the windows open and some fresh air in my face.

If/when it breaks, I probably won't bother getting it fixed unless we're talking peanuts of course.

SWMBO would have a breakdown if forced to live without it in the Scenic. She loves air-con. I told her it works better when you put diesel in the fuel tank though.....

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX