Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - bobbyandmeg
I'm a high mileage driver and currently run a Honda Legend (yes, I know but it's comfortable and easy to drive) with 105,000 miles on the clock. I'm contemplating throwing in the towel for the Honda due to spiralling fuel costs and the fear of hefty repair bills as the mileage gets higher and opting for a diesel. Problem is, which diesel? My budget is limited to around £7k and I had thought of a Mazda or Ford but some of the posts on this website have put me off. I need reliability and a reasonable mpg and a car that will give me 150k miles plus. Any recommendations based on personal experience?

Given the general nature of the question posed, I've tweaked the subject line and removed it from the drop-down menus. If you're not happy let me know.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 22:26

Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - LinuxGeek
I don't know much about Mazda 6 but if Mazda 323 diesel is anything to go by then I don't think you would go wrong with Mazda diesel car. I've got 323 2.0 TD with over 100k miles on it. The engine is much quieter than my Volvo S40 TD and pulls much better too.
Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - Mapmaker
Why the desperation to get 150k miles out of the same car? I assume you are at least vaguely conscious about 'image' in a car, as you are prepared to fork out the huge sum of 7k.

Presuming that it starts with, say, 50k on the clock, it will be pretty tired by the end of your time with it - interior trim does die; stone chips from mega-motorway-miles do destroy a car.

Try spending 4k, which will still get you a car with 75k on the clock and run it until it has done 150k, at which point sell it for 1k, and buy another. Total spend, exactly the same; total pleasure, surely greater?

Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - bobbyandmeg
Assuming I follow that route, it still leaves the question of what is most likely to prove reliable enough to take the miles, give a reasonable MPG and have minimal repair bills?
Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - movilogo
Hyundai Sonata - you can probably get one within warranty period in your budget!
Choosing a diesel - What Mazda6 size car ? - Squiffy
How about a Skoda Octavia?

Cheap to buy and run, with the proven VW TDI engines. Only issue would be to ensure cam chain changes done on time.