'99 1.8d Endura Courier starting problems - g4zkent
hi hope someone can help, my 1999 ford courier van with 1.8 Endura engine is an absolute pig to start in the morning, had new glow plugs...be it cheaper ones, but to no avail!!! to start i have to turn ignition, wait for light to go out then repeat 3 times to get started. if i try 1st turn it turns over for probly 20secs before firing up with a puff of white smoke!!!!
i have noticed though that after the glow plug light goes out, around 6 secs for the relay to click...this doesnt sound long enough?
thanx in advance
gaz

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 19:06

'99 1.8d Endura Courier starting problems - piston power
Have you checked timer is coming on long enough? is the relay working ok, you could clean all connections to timer plug/relay first,
Then check those plugs see if they are glowing & make sure fuel is in the filter. good luck.
timer? is that not the relay? sorry im noy to clever on engines. relay is clicking 6secs from turning ignition. dont think thats enough
Put a test lamp/bulb on the wire that goes to the heater plugs when you turn the key to glow is the bulb bright? how long is it on for? does it switch off then come back on for say 3-4 secs then repeat for 2 more goes? if yes i say its working ok,
Then check the heater plugs do they glow? you will have to remove them, heat them direct to the 12v battery for no more than 3-4 secs or they will burn out.
if all is ok make sure fuel is at the fuel filter if you have the primer pump on top push it is it hard? ie fuel is full before you try to start, some filter housings the seals pass and the fuel returns back to tank so is just cranking sucking the fuel back to start.. let me know how you get on there's plenty to go at make sure all electrical connections are clean etc.... good luck..
thanx for your response ok, going to borrow a voltmeter the weekend, any idea on what the readings should be for the plugs, and i havnt a prime..but one of the hoses that goes on top of the silver casing with the snap on type connectors on....pulled one off and theres a very small split on the inside of connector?
the plugs maybe 12 volt or 11.80 some say on the plug but a test bulb is better it should be nice and bright not dim,
the fuel leaks from the seals inside the filter housing you don't see any leaks usually.
When cranking over does black smoke come out of the exhaust? if so there is fuel there if not no fuel getting to injectors, please don't panic this is not major stuff just a basic guide to get you going..
When was it last serviced?
right, with volt meter, battery was fine at just under 14v. plugs had power going to them, didnt get chance to take plugs out to check. no smoke when cranking, just a puff of white smoke when it does fire up.
..forgot to put on the thread......my battery dies over night if i dont diconnect it, surely this isnt connected ;o(
gaz
glow plug/starting problem - g4zkent
.*********
just borrowed a test lamp and it connected to plugs and to ground, turn ignition....no light on test lamp
15 secs of cranking later engine fires up....test lamp comes on. stays on for around a minute then goes out, this bit sounds about right.....but why are they not coming straight on? if there turning off after a minute of engine running does that mean relay is ok? is it the same relay that turns them on?
help would be very helpfull
p.s my battery drains if left for 2 days, connected maybe?
gary