Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - FotheringtonThomas
Saturday last, travelling East from Cambridge - passed by a BM doing over 100MPH. His bonnet was up on the "safety catch". Passed him in a lay-by about 10 minutes later, making a 'phone call. Passed by the same car a few minutes later - again, 100MPH+. I didn't care to pursue him, valueing my licence. I wonder whether the bonnet popped up? How can one not notice this when driving?
Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - spikeyhead {p}
I closed the bonnet for a bloke in a 911 a few weeks ago whilst he was waiting behind me at some lights.

Having done it myself, though not in a 911, I know that its very easy to miss, until the bonnet folds itself in half in front of your face!

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - Lud
I used to have a white VW 411 variant whose front boot lid was dog-eared when I bought it clearly from a nasty experience of the sort feared in this thread.

Got a navy blue one from a breaker and looked like a German fuzz car until the thing's final drive went, on its third clattery 1700cc lump.

Edited by Lud on 30/10/2007 at 00:42

Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - L'escargot
My 03/03 Focus has a bonnet lock which requires the key to be turned anticlockwise to get it to the safety catch position and then clockwise to actually open it so I assume it's safe even in the safety catch position.
--
L\'escargot.
Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - Steptoe
The other day on TV there was a clip of firefighters trying to open the bonnet of a torched car.

It wasn't possible to determine the car model but it took them several minutes, even with all their gear, to spring it open. The catch seemed to be in the centre of the bonnet rather than at the front.

I guess the days of lying on your back, hand up behind the grill, to release a stuck catch are well and truly past.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - jc2
We had a fire in some trunking at the back of one of our buildings-the firemen needed to open an access hatch to put a hose in-held shut with four nuts-one of our maintenance people offered to remove it or lend the firemen a spanner-NO-it had to forced open.Took about ten minutes.
Speeding with the bonnet unfastened. - ijws15
In a similar vein was passed by an XJS last Monday on the M61.

A mile or so later I had to avoid two black panels laid on the carriageway (one outside lane, one just inside the middle lane about 10 feet apart.

1/4 mile later the XJS was sat on the hard shoulder.

Wonder if he got his targa panels back undamaged?