help with the maths please. - 1066
getting a c4 piccasso grand.

was getting a 1.8vtr+ at 26mpg around town but also now thinking about 1.6hdi at 35mpg urban.

the deal i can get makes the diesel £500 more. my annual mileage is c15000 split between urban in the week and motorway at weekends.

how many miles would i need to do to make the hdi worthwhile.
help with the maths please. - paulb {P}
Of your 15k a year, how much (would you say) is motorway?
about 5k motorway 5k urban and 5k mixed mostly local 50mph roads
help with the maths please. - paulb {P}
Righto. Published figures for both indicates that 1.8 is 26 urban, 45 or so extra, 35ish combined; 1.6 HDi 39/55/48.

In order to err on the side of caution I'd take the combined figure for your 5k motorway/5k mixed.

So, using fuel prices as observed at the Shell up the road at lunchtime, and with virtual biro on back of virtual cigarette packet:

1) Petrol - 5,000 miles @ 26mpg = ~875 litres @ say 99p/litre = £866; 10,000 miles @ 35 mpg = ~1,299 litres at a cost of £1,286. Total fuel cost for 15k miles therefore about £2,152.

2) Diesel - 5,000 miles @ 39 mpg = ~583 litres @ sat 100.9p/litre = £588; 10,000 miles @ 48 mpg = 947 litres at a cost of £960. So total fuel cost for 15k miles is about £1,548.

This would make it look as if you would recoup your £500 in year one, but I have taken no account of differing servicing costs (HDi likely to be more expensive) or rates of consumption of things like oil etc. Also, you may well not achieve mpg figures like these.

You'll recoup your £500 back over time, but personally with that sort of price difference I'd be more concerned with which one I liked to drive better.
help with the maths please. - rtj70
Also do you claim any business mileage?
no business mileage al private
help with the maths please. - hxj

IMHO - can you ever do enough, that's a big car for a 1.6 diesel .....

Any fuel money you will save will be eaten up by a new particulate filter etc a few years down the line ;-)
help with the maths please. - madf
Depreciation is a fra more important factor. Retained value on diesel should be higher than petrol
madf
i hadnt thought of that. i would have thoght a deisel would be worth around 500 more than the petrol when time comes to sell.

i did drive the 1.6hdi and i was slower off the lights but made up for it in not having to change gear so often
help with the maths please. - DrS
At the risk of sparking a fevered debate: Diesels are much nicer to drive than petrol engined cars.
help with the maths please. - daveyjp
Having recently had a 207 1.6HDi as a hire car (which admittedly could have been the 90hp, not the 110 version) I'd want a Picasso for a weekend test drive and see how it copes with a full load.

My review here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56489&...f