Mk3 - 1.1 hvs ohv - core plug extraction - milkyjoe
hi, my mk 3 fiesta has developed a hairline crack on the core plug and is weeping coolant , is it a simple task to remove/replace it ? thanks mj

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/10/2007 at 12:26

core plug extraction - Screwloose

That would rather depend on which one it is....

Some would need engine removal.
core plug extraction - milkyjoe
its a 1.1 hcs ohv {Now added to header}, i cant see how removing the engine would make any difference, the core plug is on the end of the block above the clutch bell housing , i just want to know the best way of extracting it

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/10/2007 at 12:27

core plug extraction - pmh
Providing you have the clearance, use a screwdriver and a hammer to punch a hole and lever it. You may find it easier to get secure location if it is close to one edge. You will probably find the centre is so corroded that you can just push a screwdriver through anyway.

Avoid damaging the sides of the block where a new one has to seal.

This is general advice not specific to this engine.
--

pmh (was peter)

i enquired about a new core plug , price .99p each, instead i rummaged in my tool box and found half of a used epoxy resin kit i mixed some up and used it to bond a 2p coin over the original leaking core plug , the resin was £1.00 but i only used the half that was left this in effect bringing the cost of repair to 52p making a massive 48% saving on the original core plug replacement idea.... true bangernomics at work :)
core plug extraction - Screwloose
mj

Rather you than me. A coreplug is only held in place by rust and friction.

When it cracks, it can't maintain an outwards pressure on that segment and can blow out - glue and tuppenny bit not withstanding.

If you miss the transient gauge swing; the cost of a replacement engine may make that 47p saving look less attractive....

[You have also committed a crime by defacing the Queen's coinage; but, fortunately, they've not allowed to hang you for it any more....]
[You have also committed a crime by defacing the Queen's coinage; but fortunately they've not
allowed to hang you for it any more....]
as far as im aware defacing a coin of the realm with a face value of under 20p no longer carries such a severe punishment , hence the use of the 2p
core plug extraction - bell boy
just think though every time you lift the hood the eyes of the realm will be watching you
just think though every time you lift the hood the eyes of the realm will
be watching you
i was pondering that dilemma BB so i had the foresight to have the fleur-de-lis on display