Ford Oils - Simon
Can anybody shed any light on the manufacturer/quality of Ford own brand oil. I have been using mainly the 10w/40 'XR plus' oil in cars that I look after and never had any problems with it. But I was always under the impression that it was semi-synthetic and since actually reading the can it doesn't actually state this. Am I right or wrong on this assumption and does anyone have any other opinions on Ford own brand oil?
Ford Oils - John S
HJ

If it meets ACEA A3/B3 I'd have thought it's going to be at least semi-synthetic. I don't believe a straight mineral will meet this spec. SJ/CF? Probably the highest American Petroleum Institute rating for Oil. The API grades seem to lag behind the ACEA grades, and even A2/B2 oils can meet API SJ. I believe though, that API have a new SL spec out - Petronas were advertising an oil to this spec in malaysia recently.

Regards

John S
Ford Oils - Simon
I have now found out that the Ford 10w40 'XR plus' is not semi-synthetic as I thought, just ordinary mineral. As I said I have never had any problems with it but I believe in using the best stuff available (within reason) and I will switch to a 10w40 semi-synthetic for the future. Does anyone have any recommendations of the which brands to aim for and which to steer clear of? One that does catch my eye is Morris Multivis 10w40, mainly because I can get it at trade price. Has anyone got any experience of using this particular product or other Morris products before?

Any advice is appeciated.