Congruent Cars - OldSock
There now seems to be a trend for manufacturers to produce cars which are virtually identical appearance-wise - only in various degrees of size. As an example, the Volvo S40/S60/S80 would appear to have been produced by sticking the plans through a photocopier set on 40/60/80% - maybe that's why they're called that!

Is maintaining 'corporate identity' stifling creativity within a manufacturer's styling team?
Congruent Cars - blue_haddock
Funny you should mention this, the other day i was reading one of the car mags (can't remember which) and there was a thing about BMW saying that from now on each new model would have it's own unique look specific to what that model is aimed towards.
Congruent Cars - gordonbennet
I reckon mainstream cars are getting boring in their copying of each other.

Most times now i have to find a badge to know who made it, which probably in itself isn't a problem but not so good if maybe youve paid 5 or so grand over for a premium make and it looks like everyone else's....one example BMW one series i always confuse them with Astra's or was that Kia Ceeds or something else.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/10/2007 at 10:25

Congruent Cars - DP
It's nice when manufacturers do something genuinely different which looks nothing like its siblings or rivals. Like the new Honda Civic. And errmmm....

No, you got me there!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Congruent Cars - OldSock
GB - I guess some of the similarity in shape results from convergence around the most aerodynamically-efficient profile. Detailed styling is then either 'corporate family identity', or copy-cat touches - like the in-vogue 'wide mouth frog' grille treatment....
Congruent Cars - gordonbennet
OldSock, i agree with you about aerodynamics and can understand that but this current blandness which is the current fashion does nothing for me.

But there are some truly hideous grille teatments emerging the peug 4007 being a prime example...having said that it does look different to the Mitsi outlander its based on, not sure i'd want it myself though.

Why do all makers now have to stuff their front lights into one package, can't remember who started this vogue, have you been caught out as i have by the almost impossible to see front indicators on a golf (whether headlights on or in sunshine), or trying to see the rear indicators on the new passat in sunshine...useless.
I know its not VW alone doing this but maybe we need some common sense back in design.

Won't hold me breath though.
Congruent Cars - doctorchris
I cannot tell a new model Vauxhall Corsa from an Astra without a very long look.
Congruent Cars - Mad Maxy
I've never been able to tell an S60 from the bigger model up. I generally agree with the OP's 'photocopier' comment, though I do think that the S40/V50 is a very good looking car.

I'm not sure there's that much similarity between other cars, though. Oh, except that when I see a new XK8 I think it's an Aston...
Congruent Cars - Phil I
>congruent cars

Touch of class in the BR here. Top marks to OP - collect Gold Star on way out.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Congruent Cars - v0n
Current Seat lineup - Cupra/Altea/Toledo - one and the same car in scale, they even have the same central console styled on old Peugeot 306. Very risky if you ask me, you get one design wrong and you are suddenly left with one minivan to sell in entire range.

Renault seems to be doing it the other way round - everything in hatchback, coupe, cabrio, estate, MPV or saloon form, with trademark rounded bootie and without regardless of differences seems to be called Megane something. Everything with more than 5 seats looks like is called Something Espace.
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]
Congruent Cars - Brian Tryzers
Trying to create a separate identity for each model is risky too - look at the mess that is the current Jaguar line-up. (Me? Bang on about a well-worn topic? Never!)

I think Volvo has about the best 'corporate look' out there at the moment, and not just because I happen to own one. It's a very clever blending of styling cues from the trusty 70s models and a dash of contemporary cool.

Incidentally, the S40 has a third side window, behind the rear doors (as did the old, too-big-for-its-wheels S80.) The S60 and new S80 don't have this, so they're the two that can be hardest to tell apart.
Congruent Cars - OldSock
Maybe it reflects having to buy progressively larger waist size jeans with the passing years.

Start off with 30" as a lithe teenager and progress to 36" as middle-age contentment takes hold :-)
Congruent Cars - Brian Tryzers
I think you've hit on something there, OS. Generations gone by would have started off in jeans, then progressed through cords, tweeds and who-knows-what. Now we never grow up and keep buying the same styles well into middle age - just in bigger sizes!
Congruent Cars - Nsar
Not aure I'd level this accusation at Nissan - Micra, Note and 350 - nothing links them visually I'd suggest, never mind their 4x4s.

Congruent Cars - v0n
Not aure I'd level this accusation at Nissan - Micra Note and 350 - nothing
links them visually I'd suggest never mind their 4x4s.

Actually, Nissan tried "uniform look" up to early 2000's - the UK penned 99 Primera, 99 QX and 2001 Almera had the same rounded body fronts and lookalike headlamp clusters and grilless. Unfortunately they didn't get the look right and it didn't sell well - Primera was discontinued after 2.5 years, QX sold in such miniature numbers I think there are only two of that generation on autotrader at the moment and Almera, even after facelift, had to be heavily discounted and was eventually discontinued completely.
They didn't recreate uniform brand look in Europe ever since, however 350Z, Murano, Qashqai and even, to a degree, Note's frontend is part of the uniform lineup in US and Japan - the Versa, Altima, Maxima etc have similar triangular headlamps and often feature that characteristic Murano grille... And what an excellent lineup it is compared to Europe as well...
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]

Edited by v0n on 31/10/2007 at 11:47

Congruent Cars - Avant
This is nothing new. Those of us with longer memories than we sometimes care to admit might think of, for example from the 1950s,

Morris Minor, Oxford and Six
Wolseley 4/44 and 6/90
Austin A40 and A70, and then A50 and A90

These were different-sized cars but looked very similar, like the Volvos mentioned by Old Sock, whereas the Ford Consul / Zephyr / Zodiac and the Vauxhall Wyvern / Velox / Cresta were the same body with different engines or trim - almost all cars have that choice today.
Congruent Cars - Old Navy
Is there anyone else ancient enough to remember the phrase "Badge engineering".
Congruent Cars - blue_haddock
Is there anyone else ancient enough to remember the phrase "Badge engineering".

I'm only 29 and i use the phrase - ie citroen berlingo is just a badge engineered peugeot partner
Congruent Cars - Pug Eyed
Don't forget the Audi 100 coupe and the Aston Martin DBS (1970's).

Well, you have to squint and see them from a distance in poor light.